Cure for Baldness? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Cure for Baldness?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby treat24 » Thu May 17, 2007 9:32 am

dream_017 wrote:
knapplc wrote:What's the point of searching up old threads all the time? I just don't get the joke, I guess? :-?

Should we all just start new theads anytime we have something to say. Whether or not it is related in another thread :-? There is not a joke, some people have already talked about what they would do if they were bald. Why do I have to post it again when you can read it in another thread.

I know it was a differnt article, but it will lead to the same discussion.

Why couldn't it have been posted in that thread. As an update or new finding.

The point of searching for old threads? The reason I look up threads and post them when they are already available is to show that the information is already available on this site or answered. Maybe we should just take the search feature off ;-7

search feature... that changes my whole viewpoint... i thought you had a crazy good memory and were making jokes.... but the fact that you look up every thread to see if there is an existing one is crazy! I agree do agree with you to a point, but i'll be honest... If he had posted this article in that old thread I would have read the OP in the old thread, skimmed a few replies and posted... COMPLETELY MISSING the new information...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby knapplc » Thu May 17, 2007 9:46 am

dream_017 wrote:
knapplc wrote:What's the point of searching up old threads all the time? I just don't get the joke, I guess? :-?

Should we all just start new theads anytime we have something to say. Whether or not it is related in another thread :-? There is not a joke, some people have already talked about what they would do if they were bald. Why do I have to post it again when you can read it in another thread.

The point of searching for old threads? The reason I look up threads and post them when they are already available is to show that the information is already available on this site or answered. Maybe we should just take the search feature off ;-7

So this hasn't been a joke this whole time? This is your one-man crusade against threads that talk about the same thing from days of yore?

I did not know that.

Fight the power, dream! Go get em! ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Thu May 17, 2007 9:50 am

knapplc wrote:
dream_017 wrote:

So this hasn't been a joke this whole time? This is your one-man crusade against threads that talk about the same thing from days of yore?

I did not know that.

:-b
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Thu May 17, 2007 9:58 am

knapplc wrote:So this hasn't been a joke this whole time? This is your one-man crusade against threads that talk about the same thing from days of yore?

I did not know that.

It is not some crusade going and checking every post to see if one has already been made. As started previously(I could go get the thread if you wanted ;-7 ) I remember things that have been talked about or have come up on this site. When I know that another thread exists with similar information I post it. That thread had 3 pages of talk about going bald....similar to the kind of talk that this thread will generate. So why is it a bad thing to have that? I know a lot of people change here, but it is only 9 months old and most them are still here.

I do a lot of the same stuff in the football forums too. If there is talk of a particular player wouldn't you want to see what others thought of him to get a better answer or what someone thought just 3 weeks ago.

It is not about a crusade, just trying to inform and help out
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby knapplc » Thu May 17, 2007 10:13 am

Well, you're far more dedicated to remembering that stuff than I - especially since I started that other thread and had zero recollection of it. :-b

I see what you're saying and like treat I agree to an extent, but the only caveat I would give is that each thread kind of has its own organic life. They don't always stay on-topic, and often the discussion branches out into new and different tangents. This thread could be about baldness and everyone’s various fears/lack of fears of going bald, or it could turn into a discussion of how cool science is, or it could turn into a discussion of other accidental scientific discoveries, or it could even turn into a discussion of the nature of discussion threads themselves. No two threads are alike, and no two discussions are alike.

Because of that I don’t see eye-to-eye with the idea of posting this article in the old thread.

Another reason is just like treat said – most likely the majority of people would either read the first article in the first thread and maybe a page or two of the rest, but get bored and skip the new article. Sure, this new one isn’t so utterly groundbreaking that people need to read it, but it is interesting (well, to me at least) and I think it would be a shame if it was posted and ignored, when the info is worth knowing.

Yet another thing to consider is where would we draw the line of bucketing topics? Should there be one thread and one thread only about murder? One thread about abandoned children? One thread about science, one about philosophy, etc? If we wanted to keep GT clean we could do that, but each thread would end up being miles long. I don’t know that it’s a bad thing if that happens – I’m just throwing out ideas.

I think in the football forums it's a lot easier to bucket discussions about certain players, and even necessary, because the discussions really aren't going to get too off-topic - either you're interested in knowing how good they are, whether you should start or trade them, or if they're going to have a good season or whatever. It's not going to (usually) get too far from those concepts. Discussions in GT often stray FAR from the original topic, and hence no two threads are ever the same.

So I see where you’re coming from, but I just don’t have the same concern as you, I guess.

At least I know now to take your posts more seriously. I was thinking you were joking there until now and I just wasn’t getting it. At least it makes me feel better about my humor detection skills. :-b
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Thu May 17, 2007 10:59 am

Well, the threads that I link are either the same exact article/topic/discussion or have a direct relevence to the current topic/discussion. I don't go around linking to all the murder threads or child abduction threads.

Again, it is more to inform that it has been discussed or posted previously. For this one, since you started the previous thread, you could have included this article in the original post. I am not trying to be the thread nazi or concerned that things are going to get out of control, especially with this forum. It does bother me on the football ones though.

I also just make it as a subtle link so if people want to look they can, if not thats fine too. I just don't feel the need to post the same thing....about the same topic...with the same name, so I link it ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu May 17, 2007 11:08 am

I link a lot in reference to multiple threads about the same player. I hate it when you go to Leftovers and see 5 threads on what a jackass TO is.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby treat24 » Thu May 17, 2007 11:17 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I link a lot in reference to multiple threads about the same player. I hate it when you go to Leftovers and see 5 threads on what a jackass TO is.

only 5...? :-b
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Jimboozie » Thu May 17, 2007 12:30 pm

treat24 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I link a lot in reference to multiple threads about the same player. I hate it when you go to Leftovers and see 5 threads on what a jackass TO is.

It could take you days to find every link to all the TO hating threads. :-b

About this new breakthrough, they need to hurry up cause my hair isn't getting any fuller. :-D :-o
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Thu May 17, 2007 4:14 pm

Two things.

knapplc wrote:Well, you're far more dedicated to remembering that stuff than I - especially since I started that other thread and had zero recollection of it. :-b

For a guy who prizes himself on reading every thread, and pays so much attention, another one slipped by ya. This is funny to me since it was your post. :-b

Jimboozie wrote:
treat24 wrote:

It could take you days to find every link to all the TO hating threads. :-b

Yeah, that's gone down now that Merc isn't on the premises anymore.
He was the only one I think that had man-love for him. He was the one starting those every 5 seconds.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk