Jackson cant attend minicamp.. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Green Bay Packers

Jackson cant attend minicamp..

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jackson cant attend minicamp..

Postby mrblitz » Thu May 17, 2007 3:08 pm

05/17 Packers: Jackson can't attend minicamp
The News
Rookie Brandon Jackson will not take part in the team's first minicamp this weekend. However, he's not holding out, rather he's being locked out because the NFLPA and the Management Council ruled that he is required to attend this weekend's Premiere event (photo shoot, etc.) in Los Angeles. "I'm being held out against my will," Jackson told ESPN.com. "I was told I either have to go home and do nothing or go to Los Angeles. They're locking me out against my will."

Our View
The coaching staff can't hold it against the rookie, but it certainly doesn't help his chances of earning the starting job. Of course, it's only one minicamp. He will spend the entire summer competing with Vernand Morency for the top spot on the running back depth chart.
Source:Fanball

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby aaawall91 » Thu May 17, 2007 5:32 pm

Premiere event? Wtf is that?
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby dgan » Thu May 17, 2007 11:20 pm

aaawall91 wrote:Premiere event? Wtf is that?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2873643

Nebraska running back Brandon Jackson felt as if he were on top of the world when the Packers drafted him in the second round in April.

As a second-round pick, Jackson had an immediate opportunity to compete for a starting job in Green Bay's backfield. And, as a first-day drafted offensive player at a skill position, he received an invitation to participate in this weekend's Premiere event in Los Angeles, where top selected skill players attend photo card shoots, contend for endorsements and receive television exposure. Even better, players receive $12,000 for attending.

Yet Jackson's good fortune, however, has turned sour in recent days.

The Premiere event was scheduled for the same weekend as the Packers' minicamp -- and Jackson couldn't choose. The NFL Players Association and the Management Council ruled this week that Jackson was required to attend the Premiere event and not the minicamp.

"I'm being held out against my will," Jackson said Thursday. "I was told I either have to go home and do nothing or go to Los Angeles. They are locking me out against my will."

Once Jackson received the invitation to L.A., he sensed a problem. He knew the shoot conflicted with his Packers schedule. Through his agent, Gary Wichard, Jackson notified the league of the conflict and informed officials he wanted to attend the minicamp. He showed up this week and started to work on training and learning the playbook.

Reports of Brett Favre's now-expected attendance in minicamp made Jackson feel even better about picking camp over the Premiere event. Jackson was going to try to show Favre that the Packers' backfield problems, with him now on the roster, would not be as pronounced.

"I feel like I need to learn the plays so I can come back and try to win a starting job in the fall," Jackson said. "I've only had four or five practices with the veterans, but my agent told me the collective bargaining agreement couldn't let me go to the minicamp."

Jackson's time commitment in Los Angeles will be from Thursday night through Sunday. He's worried his new teammates might not understand his absence.

"I don't want them to think I'm some kind of a prima donna," Jackson said. "I want to show them I want to work and get a feel for the game. I'm real disappointed. I want to be in camp."
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Return to Green Bay Packers