Vernon Davis - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Vernon Davis

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The Lung » Fri May 18, 2007 2:28 pm

I wouldn't draft him as such, but when the season is over I think Vernon Davis will be the 2nd best fantasy tight end after Gates. I will gladly take Davis in the 8th round, and maybe 7th round, in re-draft leagues later this summer.
(~);}

Image

(~);}
The Lung
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9850
(Past Year: 61)
Joined: 2 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Disgusted with Mocha Bean

Postby mrblitz » Fri May 18, 2007 2:53 pm

I like Davis alot, the kid is an incredible athlete, and should post his stock in the top 5 TE's this year.
Image


Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 12770
Joined: 16 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Having a coffee at the fantasy cafe.

Postby mystykoekaki » Fri May 18, 2007 4:37 pm

The Lung wrote:I wouldn't draft him as such, but when the season is over I think Vernon Davis will be the 2nd best fantasy tight end after Gates. I will gladly take Davis in the 8th round, and maybe 7th round, in re-draft leagues later this summer.


When would it be too early to draft him? And if somebody reaches who is the next best thing? (Assuming Gates is already gone)
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3185
Joined: 13 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Fri May 18, 2007 8:17 pm

Gates should go in about the 4th or 5th round with all other TEs going at least the 8th round or later. Even if you're high on VD, there's no need to take him until after other owners select Gonzo, Shockey, Heap and maybe even Crumpler. Taking him in the 10-11th round range would be understandable to me.
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1527
Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Fri May 18, 2007 9:16 pm

Dawinner127 wrote:
maddog60 wrote:Depends on Alex Smith and how that offense is without Norv Turner or any credible #1 WR. He's got all the talent and ability necessary, but I don't see him breaking into the top 5, top 10 I can see. Maybe by the following year he can break into the top 5.

Didn't they just get D. Jax from Seattle?


I think that Davis is going to be very productive this year. I'm definately going to look for him to be on my squad.


Forgot all about that. Too much work on the brain, I can't concentrate on the important stuff.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 9758
Joined: 18 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Lung » Fri May 18, 2007 10:58 pm

LoveBoatCaptain wrote:Gates should go in about the 4th or 5th round with all other TEs going at least the 8th round or later. Even if you're high on VD, there's no need to take him until after other owners select Gonzo, Shockey, Heap and maybe even Crumpler. Taking him in the 10-11th round range would be understandable to me.


No way Vernon Davis lasts until the 10th round. He has been going in the 8th round in mock drafts here at the Cafe, and I think his ADP will likely top out around the late 7th when drafts roll around later this summer, which is a really nice place to grab him. You can build your RB & WR depth through the first 5 rounds, grab an underated-but-possibly elite QB like McNabb, Romo, or Kitna in the 6th, and Davis in the 7th. ;-D
(~);}

Image

(~);}
The Lung
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9850
(Past Year: 61)
Joined: 2 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Disgusted with Mocha Bean

Postby dgan » Fri May 18, 2007 11:00 pm

The Lung wrote:
LoveBoatCaptain wrote:Gates should go in about the 4th or 5th round with all other TEs going at least the 8th round or later. Even if you're high on VD, there's no need to take him until after other owners select Gonzo, Shockey, Heap and maybe even Crumpler. Taking him in the 10-11th round range would be understandable to me.


No way Vernon Davis lasts until the 10th round. He has been going in the 8th round in mock drafts here at the Cafe, and I think his ADP will likely top out around the late 7th when drafts roll around later this summer, which is a really nice place to grab him. You can build your RB & WR depth through the first 5 rounds, grab an underated-but-possibly elite QB like McNabb, Romo, or Kitna in the 6th, and Davis in the 7th. ;-D


SHHHH!!!! Don't give away the 2007 winning strategy! ;-)
Image
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 2941
Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The frozen tundra of Lambeau Field

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat May 19, 2007 2:54 am

Azrael wrote:I will gladly have VD on my team this year.


Sorry...this just struck me as funny. :-b ;-D

Davis is most likely going to put up good numbers. Gore and Jackson will really keep teams honest, and Vernon will be the safety valve for Smith down the middle. But, it all depends on how well the line protects Smith and how accurate he will be. If he doesn't have time to throw and find people or if Gore has a setback, it could be a struggle. This could be the beginning of a SD-like offense; how money would that be for us 49ers fans! ;-D ;-D

So with that in mind, competitive league players will be more likely to take a chance on Davis a few rounds higher than his ADP, especially if he performs well in preseason. Hard to say what overpaying is if he puts up great numbers. He might be a better pick for some teams who decide to wait an extra round to take their #3 RB...especially those pesky corner draft spots.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 12045
Joined: 22 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New Castle, PA

Postby bagobonez » Sat May 19, 2007 7:20 am

Nevermind... I read something wrong.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
Image
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4463
Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Atop my league's fantasy throne

Postby Bubb13z » Sat May 19, 2007 8:45 pm

Well heck... looks like im taking him then. Thanks. Hope his leg doesn't break again.
Image
Bubb13z
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 111
Joined: 23 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 16:12 hours
(and 37 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact