McGahee - 180 degree change... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

McGahee - 180 degree change...

Moderator: Football Moderators

McGahee - 180 degree change...

Postby stomperrob » Wed May 23, 2007 1:32 pm

... in attitude compared to how he was in Buffalo. Bodes well for the '07 season. Whereas he was the only veteran to miss Buffalo's first 5 voluntary minicamps last year, he's right there for the first of the Ravens' minicamps.

Happy camper

Willis McGahee keeps his promise to attend voluntary practices

By Jamison Hensley
Sun Reporter
Originally published May 22, 2007

After Willis McGahee's first practices with the Ravens last week, team officials couldn't say they gained any insight into whether their new running back is primed for a career year or if he is going to add any punch to the passing attack.

But the Ravens did learn something about McGahee - he is a man of his word.

Often criticized for missing voluntary workouts with the Buffalo Bills, McGahee lived up to his promise that he would attend the Ravens' minicamps and expects it to pay dividends.

"I'm motivated, I've got to step my game up," said McGahee, who will rejoin his teammates for the second Ravens minicamp today. "My teammates are expecting a lot of me. I'm going to go out there and dish it out. Hopefully, we can all work together and make that run we want."

The Ravens traded three draft picks (third- and seventh-round picks this year and a third-round pick next year) to the Bills to acquire McGahee, who had been considered a distraction in Buffalo.

Last year, McGahee was the only veteran to skip the Bills' first five voluntary minicamps, even though Buffalo was installing a different system under a new offensive coordinator.

Former Bills running back Thurman Thomas criticized McGahee last year, saying McGahee wasn't showing much leadership by being a no-show.

McGahee said his trade to the Ravens has given him a fresh start and a new environment.

"The vibe in the air is totally different," McGahee said. "These guys know what they want, and they know what they need to do. The coaches treat you like men. Everybody is making sure everybody is on top of their game.

"We're not messing around. When one player messes up, you might laugh here or there. Jokes aside, we help each other out."

While the dedication is there, the comfort level is not. McGahee acknowledged that he made a couple of mistakes and estimated that the learning process could last through training camp.

"I was a little nervous out there; I feel like a rookie all over again," he said. "Everybody messes up. I expect myself to mess up. It's like we're breaking the seal right now."

The biggest transition for McGahee is learning the new terminology.

"I'm moving in pretty good," he said "Coach [Brian Billick] says we have to learn fast and he's talking fast. It's hard on anybody coming in and trying to learn a whole new playbook. It's going to take a little time, but I'm not worried about it."

It could be a different playbook for everybody.

With McGahee, the Ravens expect to open up the offense more than they did in the past with a pure power back like Jamal Lewis. Because McGahee is more of a slasher, they can use more one-back formations and make him more of an integral part to the offense.

"I think he's going to be a great addition to the team," Ravens quarterback Steve McNair said. "Looking at him and how he's getting a feel for this offense, he's not only going to help us in the running game, but also the passing game. If you give him the ball at 5 yards, he'll get you 10 out of it."

This type of explosiveness has eluded McGahee recently.

In 2004, he scored 13 touchdowns and broke 10 runs of at least 20 yards. In the past two seasons, he has totaled 11 touchdowns and eight runs of at least 20 yards.

This season is about changing direction for McGahee.

He's already taken the first step to do so, settling in with the Ravens while putting his unsettled days with the Bills in the past.

"I have nothing to prove to Buffalo," McGahee said. "It was fun while it lasted, but that's behind me right now. It's all in the past. I'm not even worried about it because I'm on a new team. We've got bigger and better things to worry about."

• Notes // The Ravens' second voluntary minicamp ends tomorrow. The next one is scheduled for May 30 to June 1. All practices are closed to the public.

mailto:jamison.hensley@baltsun.com
For a Willis McGahee photo gallery, go to baltimoresun.com/mcgahee.

Ravens quick links: 2006 Results | Photos | More coverage
Subscribe to Jamison Hensley's podcast

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/foot ... s-football
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: McGahee - 180 degree change...

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:36 pm

More...

McGahee glad to be in Baltimore

Associated Press, Updated 17 hours ago

OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP) - Willis McGahee was sitting outside the Baltimore Ravens' locker room Thursday when cornerback Chris McAlister walked by, rubbing his fingers together - the universal sign used to ask for money.

McAlister was offering to sell McGahee jersey No. 21, which the running back wore during his turbulent tenure with the Buffalo Bills.
"No, you can have it," McGahee replied. "I'm good."

Obtained in a trade with the Bills in March, McGahee is content to wear No. 23 in Baltimore.

"I don't want 21. I'm looking for a fresh start, and 23 was the number I was picked," he said, referring to being the 23rd overall selection in the 2003 NFL draft.

McGahee sat out his first year with Buffalo while recovering from a severe knee injury, then ran for 3,365 yards and 24 touchdowns over his next three seasons. But the Bills showed their displeasure with his performance - and attitude - by shipping him to the Ravens for a few draft picks, even though Buffalo had no successor in place.

McGahee replaces Jamal Lewis, whom the Ravens let sign with Cleveland.

"Perfect scenario, perfect situation, perfect team. It doesn't get any better than this," McGahee said. "When I got here, at first I was little nervous. But it's all love right now."

Unlike Lewis, McGahee is a slashing runner and a threat as a receiver.

"He does a lot of things," coach Brian Billick said, "and is going to give us a lot of versatility in our running game that maybe we haven't had the last few years."

And, while McGahee's attitude was perceived by some to be a problem in Buffalo, the Ravens are delighted with the enthusiasm he has thus far displayed with his new team. McGahee showed up at involuntary camps last month and ran hard at the three-day mandatory camp that ended Thursday.

A star at the University of Miami, McGahee quickly formed a friendship with former Hurricanes Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. McGahee's locker is next to Reed's, and recently the running back has seen more of Lewis than his own family.

"Me and him have been together for the last 10 or 15 days talking about football. A lot of time you don't get that from players anymore because they want the offseason to be the offseason," Ray Lewis said. "But he understands that truthfully, if you're trying to do something, there is no real offseason."

Ray Lewis has provided the Ravens' defense with a swagger for the past 11 years, and now he expects McGahee to do likewise for Baltimore's attack.

"There's a certain attitude that you have to have on the offensive side of the football," the linebacker said. "The same attitude we have on defense, he has on offense."

Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs didn't attend Miami, but he expressed a similar measure of respect for McGahee after getting a firsthand view of his quickness this week.

"He's a hard runner. I can't wait to see him in action in that purple," Suggs said. "He has that black visor like the rest of the defense. He has that Miami swagger, and you know we could use a little bit of that. It's good to have him here. It's good to have a guy who's so sure of himself."

McGahee twice rushed for more than 1,000 yards with Buffalo, but is rarely mentioned among the league's best backs. With Baltimore, however, he's now part of a team that has long relied on its running game and fully expects to be playing in the next Super Bowl.

Willis McGahee: Best running back in football. That sounds pretty good to him.

"Talk is cheap," he said. "You know what? I don't want it given to me, I want to take it."

Although McGahee worked hard to return from the devastating knee injury that occurred in his final game at Miami, he never really felt right until last year.

"When I came back, I always had a little hitch, a little limp. I couldn't make certain cuts. Now I can do this and that, get away," he said. "It doesn't bother me right now. I can do squats, whatever I want."

His take on the injury is essentially the same as his perception of his time in Buffalo: "It's in the past, it's behind me."

McGahee has turned his attention toward being a star with a playoff team. If all goes as planned, that scenario could come true this year.

"I really didn't get to touch the football a lot in my years in the NFL. Like I told the coaches here, I've got to put some miles on these legs and get it going," he said.

"I can't wait. The last time I was this excited about a season was when I got to start in college."

source:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6899300
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby GOD » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:40 pm

He should have a solid year.
GOD
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby aaawall91 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:00 pm

GOD wrote:He should have a solid year.

I tend to agree with God.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby mrblitz » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:52 pm

I also believe he will have a solid season. But as far as fantasy is concerned, I'm going to try and steer
away from him, until he shows me something in Baltimore.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby GOD » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:12 pm

mrblitz wrote:I also believe he will have a solid season. But as far as fantasy is concerned, I'm going to try and steer

I would take him late first rd if he's there.
GOD
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Azrael » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:20 pm

mrblitz wrote:I also believe he will have a solid season. But as far as fantasy is concerned, I'm going to try and steer

Once he shows you something, then it's too late.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby RJ24VC15 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:00 pm

He should be pretty good, but they still don't have the passing game to take the pressure off the run.
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer

Postby aaawall91 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

RJ24VC15 wrote:He should be pretty good, but they still don't have the passing game to take the pressure off the run.

I disagree with that. McNair's presence alone I think makes the defense have to respect the pass. Clayton, Williams, Heap, and the other one (can't think of his name... :-? ) all are legitament threats in the passing game.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby dgan » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:12 am

aaawall91 wrote:
RJ24VC15 wrote:He should be pretty good, but they still don't have the passing game to take the pressure off the run.

I disagree with that. McNair's presence alone I think makes the defense have to respect the pass. Clayton, Williams, Heap, and the other one (can't think of his name... :-? ) all are legitament threats in the passing game.

I agree the passing game will be better and good enough to take some of the pressure off McGahee. It certainly can't be worse than the 8 and 9 man fronts he faced playing in Buffalo. But I also know what RJ is saying...that passing game was very underwhelming last year. McNair needs to get that thing clicking much more efficiently.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk