Suffered Extreme Fear... Just A Product Of My Imagination? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Suffered Extreme Fear... Just A Product Of My Imagination?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Suffered Extreme Fear... Just A Product Of My Imagination?

Postby Karoz » Thu May 24, 2007 4:41 am

Before you read this, I'm not the kind of person that likes to make a big deal out of things. However, I don't think I've ever experienced an episode of fear quite like this.

I was sitting at the computer, reading up on random things. All of a sudden, I was overcome with this extreme fear that something was behind me. Obviously, I knew that nothing was behind me, but I couldn't make this fear go away. Cold chills were going up and down my spine, and a tingling sensation was repeatedly going up and down my body, once every three seconds or so.

I was repeatedly looking behind my back, with the fear escalating when I did so. I was mildly sweating, and I clutched myself a few times.

I consider myself as being a logical person. As I said, I didn't consciously believe that something was behind me, but I had an intense fear that made me feel as though there was. I felt like this "thing" was going to attack and/or kill me at any second.

I've had the occasional feeling where I felt like I was being watched, but I have never felt a fear this intense. This fear seemed to have no real logical basis, but it stayed with me for around 5-10 minutes.

This post may seem ridiculous, but I found this very disturbing. Anyone know why this happened? Did I just manage to get myself worked up that intensely, or did it come about for some other reason?

Making this post is pretty embarrassing... so no jokes, Met and Joel... :-b
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Thu May 24, 2007 5:34 am

What? Why would I joke? Sounds like you're afraid of the dark, its cool man I was afraid of the dark too when I was 7. Just work through it and breath. ;-D

And quit being a wussie! :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby dgan » Thu May 24, 2007 5:44 am

There is a Gaelic term for this: fiosachd - roughly translated, "the knowing"

It isn't necessarily a being or thing near you, but just a sort of sixth sense that you don't know or have never learned to understand. A lifetime of watching horror movies and you mistake it for someone sneaking up on you.

A lot of times people will experience a similar sensation the moment something happens to someone they know, or perhaps as a type of precursor to warn you that something important is about to happen.

I actually had a similar experience once...it hit me so hard I fell down a flight of stairs. Less than an hour later, a tornado ripped through our neighborhood. Maybe there was a change in air pressure that just made me light-headed...not sure...but any time I get that tingle up the spine or on the scalp, I start paying attention!

Weird stuff...I doubt it is the boogeyman, but it could be important nonetheless. Good luck and keep us posted.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Thu May 24, 2007 7:18 am

It could have been an anxiety attack. I have a friend who gets these and they really wipe him out sometimes. Don't be afraid to talk to your doctor if it happens again. They can work with you on these things.

If it doesn't happen again, it could have been "just one of those things." We all get the heebie-jeebies sometimes. Your mind plays tricks on you or you just get tired and the barriers between you and your fears get a bit worn down, and suddenly there you are, in the midst of this fear that has no rational basis, when really it's just those same fears and concerns you always had but usually deal with. I notice this was posted at 4:41am. Were you really tired when it happened? That could have a lot to do with it.

How did this all turn out? I assume the feeling went away, so how did it go away, and how are you now?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu May 24, 2007 7:23 am

That's crazy dgan. 8-o

When my brother was about 10 or so he was helping my dad work on his semi. It was a semi with a long nose, so the hood opened forwards like this:

He was working directly on top of the front tire, basically leaning over it greasing the truck or tightening nuts or something. He felt this urge to step back away from the truck. He did and was confused and looked behind him. He heard a loud crash behind him and turned to see that the hood, which is extremely heavy, had come off of the supports and had come down. If he hadn't stepped away from the truck and gotten off of that tire, he basically would have been cut in half. :-°

Anyway, anxiety might have something to do with it too. Things like this aren't always as complicated as dgan or I might suggest by these experiences. It may simply be anxiety and your mind staying overly alert. Has anything new occurred in your life, like new responsibilities or financial issues?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby BGbootha » Thu May 24, 2007 9:32 am

Sorry to scare you man, I just like to stand behind people and watch them on their computers.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby Guru13 » Thu May 24, 2007 9:35 am

I sorta know what you're talking about, just the other night I didn't sleep until about 1 am because I just couldn't, I had this feeling that I was in for something bad, thankfully nothing happened, but it was horrible, sometimes you just have to work through rational thought, and you'll be fine.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby WickedSmaat » Thu May 24, 2007 9:37 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:That's crazy dgan. 8-o

When my brother was about 10 or so he was helping my dad work on his semi. It was a semi with a long nose, so the hood opened forwards like this:

He was working directly on top of the front tire, basically leaning over it greasing the truck or tightening nuts or something. He felt this urge to step back away from the truck. He did and was confused and looked behind him. He heard a loud crash behind him and turned to see that the hood, which is extremely heavy, had come off of the supports and had come down. If he hadn't stepped away from the truck and gotten off of that tire, he basically would have been cut in half. :-°

Anyway, anxiety might have something to do with it too. Things like this aren't always as complicated as dgan or I might suggest by these experiences. It may simply be anxiety and your mind staying overly alert. Has anything new occurred in your life, like new responsibilities or financial issues?

Wow man that's amazing. To think of things like that makes you wonder a lot.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby Popcynical » Thu May 24, 2007 4:29 pm

Are you sure something didn't trigger this? Or was it just random.

Seems strange to me that it would happen out of the blue.. but the human body is a strange thing.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mrblitz » Thu May 24, 2007 4:41 pm

When I read this , it sounded to me, like a form of anxiety attack. I had one in my life,and it was only a couple years ago. I was in traffic coming home from work. When all of a sudden, I felt an instant feel of panic come over me, my chest felt tight, and my breathing got really frantic. I threw off my seatbelt, not knowing what to do, when the feeling quickly subsided. I was panicking when I was feeling this, because I had no idea, what the Hell was going on. When I told a few people about it, they told me it was more than likely just an anxiety attack. Scared the crap out of me, that's all I know. Never happened again. Yet

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to General Talk