There was a threat at my school yesterday - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

There was a threat at my school yesterday

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby knapplc » Fri May 25, 2007 10:47 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
BGbootha wrote:I apologize if this offended, one of my main problems with home schooling is the total lack of academic standards. A parent can simply pass along thier knowledge or lack thier of to thier children and receive an 'equivalent' degree! I have seen well used history books that are nothing more than propaganda warped textbooks. I have seen and read home-school biology books that begin with a chapter on Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. I have seen history books with a total absense of the holocaust. I am not saying this 'education' happens in all homeschool situations but it happens way more than we think

Where's that badge! }:-) :-b

You didn't even get them all! :-D

Just giving you a hard time, BG! :-b
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BGbootha » Fri May 25, 2007 10:51 am

knapplc wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
BGbootha wrote:I apologize if this offended, one of my main problems with home schooling is the total lack of academic standards. A parent can simply pass along thier knowledge or lack thier of to thier children and receive an 'equivalent' degree! I have seen well used history books that are nothing more than propaganda warped textbooks. I have seen and read home-school biology books that begin with a chapter on Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. I have seen history books with a total absense of the holocaust. I am not saying this 'education' happens in all homeschool situations but it happens way more than we think

Thats alright sometimes the fingers go faster than the head. ;-D

BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby knapplc » Fri May 25, 2007 10:57 am

To Joel's point about social skills - that is what the parents make of it. If you home-school your child and don't make a concerted effort to get them the social interaction they need then you are doing a horrible disservice to your child.

Of the several home-schooled people I know, all the kids in the one family are asocial introverts, a couple of them almost debilitatingly so. These also happen to be the lesser-educated among the people I know, and again, I cannot imagine WHY these parents felt they were capable of teaching these children anything.

The other two people I know, one guy and one woman, are socially adept and very cool. However, I think the fact that both played sports has a lot to do with that. That got them a lot of the interaction with people outside their homes that we all take for granted having gone to public schools, and they’re fine now.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Fri May 25, 2007 10:58 am

BGbootha wrote:
knapplc wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

Thats alright sometimes the fingers go faster than the head. ;-D

Actually I did, but I felt it would be piling on. Everyone has typos, I just found it funny that you had a "hurried" post in a thread about education so I wanted to tease you some. O:-)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BGbootha » Fri May 25, 2007 11:03 am

Joel and company....

I was not tyrying to imply that Christians should not pass on thier beliefs to their children, or muslims or mormons or athiests or anyone for that matter.

Basically my issue boils down to this. I believe that all people should confront cognitive dissonance as much as possible. I don't believe this happens enough at public schools. at private schools and especially at home school.

As humans we should use our education as a chance to challenge our personal world views as much as possible. That is my goal as I teach my history classes. Sometimes I am successful and sometimes I am not. All I ask of my students is to think, something that doesn't happen in a great deal of classrooms around the country.

Also you are right, there are students who get to me late in thier high school career and are reading at 4th and 5th grade reading levels. It is a huge problem in the public schools. It drives me crazy. I mean really how am I supposed to explore Mein Kampf, or the Constitution with someone who has a hard time comprehending 'Run Spot Run'.

I cannot argue that there are no issues with Public Education, there absolutely is. My concern regarding Home Schooling revolves around the censorship and blindness when it comes to looking at all sides of possibilities.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dawinner127 » Fri May 25, 2007 11:12 am

Wow.. Two days ago in school we had a threat aswell.. A girl said she had a hit-list with tons of people from my grade on it. Also, yesterday some girl cut her self in the bathroom :-/

My school is going crazy :-o
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri May 25, 2007 11:21 am

BGbootha wrote:Joel and company....

I was not tyrying to imply that Christians should not pass on thier beliefs to their children, or muslims or mormons or athiests or anyone for that matter.

Basically my issue boils down to this. I believe that all people should confront cognitive dissonance as much as possible. I don't believe this happens enough at public schools. at private schools and especially at home school.

As humans we should use our education as a chance to challenge our personal world views as much as possible. That is my goal as I teach my history classes. Sometimes I am successful and sometimes I am not. All I ask of my students is to think, something that doesn't happen in a great deal of classrooms around the country.

Also you are right, there are students who get to me late in thier high school career and are reading at 4th and 5th grade reading levels. It is a huge problem in the public schools. It drives me crazy. I mean really how am I supposed to explore Mein Kampf, or the Constitution with someone who has a hard time comprehending 'Run Spot Run'.

I cannot argue that there are no issues with Public Education, there absolutely is. My concern regarding Home Schooling revolves around the censorship and blindness when it comes to looking at all sides of possibilities.

I whole-heartedly agree with this...

One of the major problems I have with the public school system is that so much of the curriculum is scripted. Students are taught exactly what the-powers-that-be have determined is the most important information, and that information is presented in a tidy, little "cookie-cutter" package. With classroom sizes approaching 40-students in most districts, I guess it has to be that way...

Look at a subject like American History, for example... Unless you are an exceptional student, in "gifted" or honors classes, you will learn all the basics and not much more... You'll cover the Pilgrims, Jamestown, skip on through to the Revolutionary War, hit up the Louisiana Purchase and a little about manifest destiny, move along to slavery and the Civil War, touch on Reconstruction for 15 minutes, spend enough time on the Industrial Revolution that if you get a pass to the restroom you'll miss it, 15 minutes about World War I, maybe 30 on World War II, skip over Korea entirely, pause at the JFK assassination and the Civil Rights movement, maybe show a picture of Richard Nixon and have a debate over whether Viet Nam is pronounced N-A-M or N-O-M, and then you're basically done...

Somewhere along the line it was determined that these were our "high points."

But, in an age where literally every single piece of non-classified human knowledge is at our finger tips, why in God's name would we try to encapsulate this great social experiment in that little bubble?

In an alternate environment, where there was a better than 40-to-1 ratio between student and instructor, so much more could be accomplished.

A well-motivated student could cover those basics with a laptop and the History Channel in a week, and then spend the rest of his time fleshing out his understanding by studying all the other people, places, and things that make America what it REALLY is...

But there's no room for that in public schools. It's everything a teacher can do just to pack all of that information into the heads of the 200-or-so students they are responsible for every semester...

Such a waste of resources, if you ask me... No where in our system is there room for a student to slow down and ask "why?" And then go find the answer for themselves... No where in our system is there room for a student to challenge the status quo, and perhaps draw their own conclusions as to how we arrived at where we are...

And THAT, my friend, is what education should REALLY be about...

:-°
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BGbootha » Fri May 25, 2007 11:27 am

Plindsey88 wrote:
BGbootha wrote:Joel and company....

I whole-heartedly agree with this...

One of the major problems I have with the public school system is that so much of the curriculum is scripted. Students are taught exactly what the-powers-that-be have determined is the most important information, and that information is presented in a tidy, little "cookie-cutter" package. With classroom sizes approaching 40-students in most districts, I guess it has to be that way...

Look at a subject like American History, for example... Unless you are an exceptional student, in "gifted" or honors classes, you will learn all the basics and not much more... You'll cover the Pilgrims, Jamestown, skip on through to the Revolutionary War, hit up the Louisiana Purchase and a little about manifest destiny, move along to slavery and the Civil War, touch on Reconstruction for 15 minutes, spend enough time on the Industrial Revolution that if you get a pass to the restroom you'll miss it, 15 minutes about World War I, maybe 30 on World War II, skip over Korea entirely, pause at the JFK assassination and the Civil Rights movement, maybe show a picture of Richard Nixon and have a debate over whether Viet Nam is pronounced N-A-M or N-O-M, and then you're basically done...

Somewhere along the line it was determined that these were our "high points."

But, in an age where literally every single piece of non-classified human knowledge is at our finger tips, why in God's name would we try to encapsulate this great social experiment in that little bubble?

In an alternate environment, where there was a better than 40-to-1 ratio between student and instructor, so much more could be accomplished.

A well-motivated student could cover those basics with a laptop and the History Channel in a week, and then spend the rest of his time fleshing out his understanding by studying all the other people, places, and things that make America what it REALLY is...

But there's no room for that in public schools. It's everything a teacher can do just to pack all of that information into the heads of the 200-or-so students they are responsible for every semester...

Such a waste of resources, if you ask me... No where in our system is there room for a student to slow down and ask "why?" And then go find the answer for themselves... No where in our system is there room for a student to challenge the status quo, and perhaps draw their own conclusions as to how we arrived at where we are...

And THAT, my friend, is what education should REALLY be about...

:-°

;-D
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Fri May 25, 2007 11:34 am

Great post, Plinds!

I hate to say it, but the knowledge I gained about history didn't come from school. I respect my high school and college instructors, but seriously - there is such a HUGE volume of information out there that they can't possibly be expected to give us much more than a cursory explanation of any situation, person or event. What most of them did was to instill in me an interest in history and a desire to learn more on my own, which I did.

National Geographic is an excellent resource (I have every NG ever, either in magazine form or on CD). The History Channel is an excellent resource. But they all pale to Google, where you can find ANYTHING, as long as you have the imagination to think up the topic.

Teachers should give us as much info as possible, but knowing they cannot give it ALL to us, they should teach us to want to learn. That is the greatest thing that I was given in my career as a student. I owe my teachers a huge debt of gratitude for that.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mrblitz » Fri May 25, 2007 2:39 pm

When I initally said Home Schooling, I was strictly referring to the Dangers in our Schools today. I'd rather have a Sociopath as a son that is alive, then a dead kid.

No seriously, I know HomeSchooling isn't the solution to stopping Gun Violence in our Schools, but tell me what is the solution?

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk