star wars on the history channel - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

star wars on the history channel

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby moonhead » Thu May 24, 2007 11:53 pm

dgan wrote:
Gibbs Baby!!! wrote:The show looks pretty cool. And it's about how the history of movies has changed since the release of the original Star Wars, so it fits.

As for Memorial Day things, well, it's not on until 9 PM, so the rest of the day is likely spent memorializing those who the Day was set aside for. And, like Moon said, it's not like they don't spend a good deal of time saluting our vets the rest of the year.

Right. Plus, they still make their money based on ratings like every other channel, so I'm all for them making more money so they can continue the greatest programming on cable. ;-D

Face it, some of the stuff I love to watch probably doesn't make them a dime, so they have to make their money somewhere.

i love it when they run stuff about the ancient world. i get sick of all the ww2 stuff. but i can sit here and watch the history channel all day. i love it.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Popcynical » Fri May 25, 2007 5:29 am

awwchrist wrote:Where'd they find a time slot that didn't have Nazi stuff?

It's not called the Hitler channel for nothin'.

Star Wars does have Nazi stuff. Where do you think the term "Storm Trooper" comes from?
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri May 25, 2007 7:26 am

moonhead wrote:
dgan wrote:
Gibbs Baby!!! wrote:The show looks pretty cool. And it's about how the history of movies has changed since the release of the original Star Wars, so it fits.

As for Memorial Day things, well, it's not on until 9 PM, so the rest of the day is likely spent memorializing those who the Day was set aside for. And, like Moon said, it's not like they don't spend a good deal of time saluting our vets the rest of the year.

Right. Plus, they still make their money based on ratings like every other channel, so I'm all for them making more money so they can continue the greatest programming on cable. ;-D

Face it, some of the stuff I love to watch probably doesn't make them a dime, so they have to make their money somewhere.

i love it when they run stuff about the ancient world. i get sick of all the ww2 stuff. but i can sit here and watch the history channel all day. i love it.

There is a ton of WWII overkill, I will agree. The one day that they absolutely should devote to vets though....
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Coppermine » Fri May 25, 2007 9:00 am

If Star Wars isn't a part of American history, I don't know what is. I'll watch it, and I'm not even a big fan. Plus I love everything the History Channel does... although they're definitely running out of ideas for Modern Marvels.
Coppermine
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jayday » Fri May 25, 2007 9:09 am

moonhead wrote:i love it when they run stuff about the ancient world. i get sick of all the ww2 stuff. but i can sit here and watch the history channel all day. i love it.

Same here...There's always good stuff on there....Rome, Greece, European history before 1800, and the Civil War are my favorite topics on there...If history majors had a better job market, I would definitely be in that department...

Got the DVR set for the SW special...
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby knapplc » Fri May 25, 2007 9:27 am

I would have to bet that the reason they run so much WWII stuff is that they have actual footage of the battles, so to show the war they just plug in segments of the footage and add a narrator.

For ancient stuff they have to send a film crew over to the site, and/or create a set with actors and/or build the city/battle/whatever out of CG. All of that takes a lot more money than using archival footage.

Plus, for those people who aren't huge fans of ancient history and who like to watch shows about stuff that's more immediate, WWII, Viet Nam, Korea, The Gulf War - those are their best bets. I think a lot of people simply tune out Rome, Greece, Egypt, etc. simply because they have no personal frame of reference for it. It's perhaps a lot easier to grasp a war that your dad or grandfather fought in.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Fri May 25, 2007 9:52 am

knapplc wrote:I would have to bet that the reason they run so much WWII stuff is that they have actual footage of the battles, so to show the war they just plug in segments of the footage and add a narrator.

For ancient stuff they have to send a film crew over to the site, and/or create a set with actors and/or build the city/battle/whatever out of CG. All of that takes a lot more money than using archival footage.

Plus, for those people who aren't huge fans of ancient history and who like to watch shows about stuff that's more immediate, WWII, Viet Nam, Korea, The Gulf War - those are their best bets. I think a lot of people simply tune out Rome, Greece, Egypt, etc. simply because they have no personal frame of reference for it. It's perhaps a lot easier to grasp a war that your dad or grandfather fought in.

Well I agree with you and I don't Knapp. It makes sense that they would show a lot more WWII shows being theres a lot of footage as opposed to stuff on Roman history, Greece, Egypt, etc. where there simply is no footage and they have to create scenes, pay actors and whatnot. I could buy that, and it might be partially the reason but it seems like theres something else going on.

You bring up 3 other conflicts Viet Nam, Korea, and The Gulf War all of which were major points in American history, and all of which have plenty of footage if not more than WWII and yet none of which get anywhere near the amount of attention WWII does. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a show on any of those conflicts but I'm sure if I click on the history channel right now theres something about Normandy, Pearl Harbor or a Hitler special.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Fri May 25, 2007 9:56 am

If I had to guess at the "something else going on," it would be the fact that we won World War II.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Fri May 25, 2007 10:00 am

knapplc wrote:If I had to guess at the "something else going on," it would be the fact that we won World War II.

EXACTLY!!! And thats total BS and it ticks me off. The History Channel is warping our view and leaving out very important parts of American history. :-t

Hmmmm could big brother be to blame? }:-)
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Previous

Return to General Talk