Thou shalt not commit adultery... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Thou shalt not commit adultery...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Thou shalt not commit adultery...

Postby stomperrob » Fri May 25, 2007 1:49 pm

...seems the head of Canada's Christian television network forgot that commandment! One really should try and lead by example methinks.

Christian TV head resigns over affair

Founder of Lethbridge's Miracle Channel admits to 'extramarital relationship'

Sean Myers, Calgary Herald
Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The founder of the first national Christian television network in Canada has resigned in disgrace after admitting to having an "extramarital relationship with another woman," according to a press release issued by the Miracle Channel on Tuesday.

Dick Dewert started the religious-themed broadcaster in Lethbridge in 1995 with his wife Joan, who has also resigned from the station to "stand with her husband," said the release.

"We do not condone his behaviour," said Ray Block, who has been named CEO to replace Dewert. "This behaviour does not represent our stand on morality issues. His resignation was the right thing for him to do."

Block said the couple has left Lethbridge in order to receive marriage counselling.

"We can only hope he will work towards restoration," said Block. "That's our hope for every person, no matter what walk of life they come from."

The Miracle Channel is available through cable and satellite providers across Canada and can be viewed in Calgary by Shaw Star Choice and Bell Expressvu subscribers.

Estimates on the total viewership the channel enjoys have ranged as high as four million, although Block couldn't confirm that number.

The network relies on private donations for funding.

Craigery Dennis, a pastor at Calgary's Southside Victory Church, said the news came as a shock.

"I'm very surprised and saddened," said Dennis. "They're a strong couple."

The church's senior pastor, Craig Buroker, hosts a long-running program called Times of Refreshing on the station and Dennis said Victory Church members across the city have petitioned Shaw Cable to add the network to its roster of channels.

"Any time something like this happens, it's devastating," said Dennis, "but we also put people like him on a pedestal and forget they are just human. They struggle like the rest of us, maybe even more so because of the pressure put on them.

"The message of Christianity is forgiveness and love. I don't think this will be the end of the ministry."

The Victory Churches International movement, based in Calgary, has no official tie to the network and Dewert left his position as senior pastor of the Victory Church in Lethbridge in 1997 to devote all of his time to the station.

Still, Dennis said many congregation members are regular viewers.

The channel airs Christian programming such as 100 Huntley Street and 700 Club along with The Jim Bakker Show -- hosted by an American televangelist whose own troubles in the 1980s led to divorce and a five-year jail term for financial irregularities at his ministry.

Last fall, provincial cabinet minister Ted Morton appeared on the channel during his unsuccessful bid for the Tory leadership.

Tony Abbott, MLA for Drayton Valley-Calmar and an ordained evangelical minister, said he frequently watches the channel and was saddened by the circumstances of Dewert's departure.

"It's a shock to the whole Christian community," said Abbott. "At the same time, those type of leaders are under a lot of stress and a lot times bad things can happen. I just hope he can go get the help he needs to get through this and get back on track."

mailto:smyers@theherald.canwest.com

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri May 25, 2007 1:59 pm

"The message of Christianity is forgiveness and love. I don't think this will be the end of the ministry."

I think that's a key statement right there. People so often forget that just because people claim Christ as their Lord, they aren't perfect. Hopefully, he can turn it around.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Fri May 25, 2007 2:07 pm

This reminds me of one of my favorite clips from the Colbert Report.

http://gorillamask.net/colbert10c.shtml
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Fri May 25, 2007 2:33 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:

I think that's a key statement right there. People so often forget that just because people claim Christ as their Lord, they aren't perfect. Hopefully, he can turn it around.

Very true.

Nihil sine Deo.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Nfl Fan » Fri May 25, 2007 2:38 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:

Good word.

"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us."
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby knapplc » Fri May 25, 2007 2:58 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us."

And the rest of that says, "But if we confess our sin, God, who is faithful and just, will forgive our sin and cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

We can still love the person but hate the sin. Three years ago our church lost its founding pastor because he was having an affair with a woman from the congregation. I still love this man dearly, but he cannot remain in a "trust" position once this happens.

Forgiveness does not mean we forget. How can you trust this man once he has crossed this line?

I know this is not an apples-to-apples comparison, but it reminds me of the priests who have molested children. The Catholic church forgave some of these men and instead of defrocking them, transferred them to other parishes. Unfortunately, some of these guys did it again. Had they removed these guys from the priesthood they would not have been able to molest children under the guise of a safe person. Along those same lines, once a man in a “trust” position like pastor/priest violates that trust, they must be removed from that position.

There’s an important distinction between forgiveness and responsibility. It is OK to forgive. It is not OK to be irresponsible. Responsibility dictates that we remove these people from these positions, plain and simple.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Nfl Fan » Fri May 25, 2007 3:49 pm

knapplc wrote:
Nfl Fan wrote:"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us."

And the rest of that says, "But if we confess our sin, God, who is faithful and just, will forgive our sin and cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

We can still love the person but hate the sin. Three years ago our church lost its founding pastor because he was having an affair with a woman from the congregation. I still love this man dearly, but he cannot remain in a "trust" position once this happens.

Forgiveness does not mean we forget. How can you trust this man once he has crossed this line?

I know this is not an apples-to-apples comparison, but it reminds me of the priests who have molested children. The Catholic church forgave some of these men and instead of defrocking them, transferred them to other parishes. Unfortunately, some of these guys did it again. Had they removed these guys from the priesthood they would not have been able to molest children under the guise of a safe person. Along those same lines, once a man in a “trust” position like pastor/priest violates that trust, they must be removed from that position.

There’s an important distinction between forgiveness and responsibility. It is OK to forgive. It is not OK to be irresponsible. Responsibility dictates that we remove these people from these positions, plain and simple.

Amen, brother! ;-D
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Azrael » Fri May 25, 2007 11:39 pm

Great posts all around.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat May 26, 2007 12:04 am

knapplc wrote:

Great, GREAT post. While they should and can be forgiven and turn their lives around, sin carries consequences. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat May 26, 2007 1:54 am

Man, we really could have a Cafe Bible Study.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk