Moderator: Football Moderators

Do you follow the "5 Second Rule"

Yes
66%
No
34%

Total votes : 29

Postby stomperrob » Fri May 25, 2007 7:59 pm

Could quirky student study end storied five-second rule?

AP FILE

By TONY GERMANOTTA , The Virginian-Pilot
May 18, 2007

A pair of biology seniors at Connecticut College decided to test the oft-cited maxim that food that sits less than five seconds on a floor remains safe to eat.

They used a well-traveled section of the college cafeteria; apple slices "because they were free," and Skittles, because there's an assumption that dry food is less susceptible to contamination, said researcher Molly Goettsche.

To simulate the real world, food was dropped off the edge of a cafeteria table. One pair of edibles sat on the floor for five seconds; others for 10, 30, 60 seconds; and, finally, for five minutes. They repeated the experiment under the supervision of a biology professor.

The results: No bacteria were found on any food left on the floor for up to half a minute. Apple slices and Skittles both got germy after a minute (although one Skittle took five minutes).

Goettsche, 23, and heading for a career in bio tech market research, said she won't eat from a floor despite their findings.

"Use your discretion," she advised. "I don't want to be responsible for changing the five-second rule to the 30-second rule
Last edited by stomperrob on Fri May 25, 2007 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moonhead » Fri May 25, 2007 8:40 pm

2 factors here.

how drunk am i?

how hungry am i whilst drunk?

i have eaten a hot pocket that i dropped onto outdoor starirs. it then fell through the stairs and onto the bottom level. i found it amidst a pile of dirt, trash, lent, and leaves. i was hungry. and really drunk. we had just gone to the store for a food run...and no way in hell we were going back. and there wasn't anything in the house. i just dusted it off and ate it. lent and all. i was told the next day that that was by far the most disgusting display one of my best friends had ever seen. ;-D

but in general. no i don't eat food off the floor.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby stomperrob » Fri May 25, 2007 9:04 pm

This is reminiscent of George eating the eclair out of the garbage on Seinfeld - a classic!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri May 25, 2007 9:25 pm

We have 2 dogs. We don't get 5 seconds to pick it up. :-b :-°
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby The Lung » Fri May 25, 2007 9:53 pm

RWLongy4 wrote:mythbusters actually did a comparison between the 5 second and 15 second rules. I'm fairly sure they determined there was no difference in the amount of germs between the 2 times.

I'm fairly certain this assessment is in error. I saw the same Mythbusters episode, and I remember the results as no matter whether one second, two seconds, five seconds, or fifteen seconds, food that comes in contact with a non-sterile surface such as a floor contracts bacteria equally.

Basically, bottom line is that once a piece of food hits the ground, it is instantly contaminated with bacteria. Since I've seen that episode, the 5-second rule is dead to me.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri May 25, 2007 10:09 pm

No, who knows what was on that part of the floor?

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat May 26, 2007 12:19 am

Food goes on the floor then i inspect it and if it passes, it goes in my mouth and if it needs an excuse, then I will pull out the rule. :-b

If its in any public place, it doesn't matter. It's a goner. :-t
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Sat May 26, 2007 11:22 pm

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:And if you are grilling outside and something falls off? Do you put it back on the grill?

:-b

If my in-laws are over then yes they will get it. I will sometimes drop it a few times for them.

I dont follow the 5 or 3 second rule. If it hits the floor its the dogs. I have general rule that I dont eat off the floor and the dogs dont eat off the table.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Sun May 27, 2007 2:45 am

Depends how intoxicated I am and/or what the food is. There are some places far enough away that I use my own 5 minute rule.
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby steelerfan04 » Sun May 27, 2007 9:39 am

Really depends what kind of food it is and where the food falls. If it falls outside or in a dirty area inside, I let it go, but otherwise I'll usually pick it up.

funny story here. Once my friend and I were walking around outside and we come across a gummy bear that's lying in the dirt. We have no ide whose it is or how long its been there, but my friend picks it up and eats it :-P
steelerfan04
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk