Man Vs. Wild - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Man Vs. Wild

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Man Vs. Wild

Postby skibrett15 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:32 pm

knapplc wrote:How difficult can any of the stuff be when the cameraman is doing it right along beside him? The other night while he was trekking through the Australian Outback he said something to the effect of "c'mon, guys." Plural. Guys. He wasn't referring to the audience, it was the crew with him. So there are at least two other people out there with him, doing what he does to an extent. So it's not a survival situation, like that other show with the guy who carries his own camera equipment.

Don't get me wrong - it's still an entertaining show. I like it quite a bit, but I just wish they'd stop pretending that he could die out there. A few different collapses in his support network would have to happen before he got into real trouble.

The intro to the show says that he will bring a camera crew with him. They're well equiped for survival I'm sure, and they don't have to eat elephant dung either. They travel with him and get all the important shots that go into the show.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:41 pm

skibrett15 wrote:
knapplc wrote:How difficult can any of the stuff be when the cameraman is doing it right along beside him? The other night while he was trekking through the Australian Outback he said something to the effect of "c'mon, guys." Plural. Guys. He wasn't referring to the audience, it was the crew with him. So there are at least two other people out there with him, doing what he does to an extent. So it's not a survival situation, like that other show with the guy who carries his own camera equipment.

Don't get me wrong - it's still an entertaining show. I like it quite a bit, but I just wish they'd stop pretending that he could die out there. A few different collapses in his support network would have to happen before he got into real trouble.

The intro to the show says that he will bring a camera crew with him. They're well equiped for survival I'm sure, and they don't have to eat elephant dung either. They travel with him and get all the important shots that go into the show.

Well there you go. I've never seen the intro. That explains that.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:21 pm

I don't know about you guys, but I want to eat a fish right out of the river. Nothing like a little sushi after drinkning your own piss. ;-D
Honestly, this guy is a world-class BAMF.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby TN_Titans_05 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:26 pm

knapplc wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:

Well there you go. I've never seen the intro. That explains that.

Also on most episodes during the ending credits it will have someone besides Bears name as the "Survival Expert". Im sure they do extensive research before they go to any of these locations as well becauase he would not know all these stories he tells. Still, he does the tough work and the crazy stuff and I love it! ;-D

C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S-H-I-P
TN_Titans_05
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby skibrett15 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:49 am

There is definitely some merit to Bear and his escapades. Everything you see he is actually doing. The question is what he is doing in between the shots...sitting in his trailer??? I doubt it, but it's certainly possible.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:53 am

At the end of every show he says something to the effect of, "I am definitely ready...to go home."
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:48 pm

knapplc wrote:Don't get me wrong - it's still an entertaining show. I like it quite a bit, but I just wish they'd stop pretending that he could die out there. A few different collapses in his support network would have to happen before he got into real trouble.

Tell that to Steve Irwin.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:18 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:
knapplc wrote:Don't get me wrong - it's still an entertaining show. I like it quite a bit, but I just wish they'd stop pretending that he could die out there. A few different collapses in his support network would have to happen before he got into real trouble.

No doubt, I mean have you seen this guy trudging through chest deep gator infested water? Or on a raft he made himself out of bamboo surrounded by Tiger Sharks bumping the bottom of it? He's much safer than a person stranded alone without a camera crew and whoever else following close behind, but he could still easily become diner for some hungry creature. :-o
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:06 am

Metroid wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:

No doubt, I mean have you seen this guy trudging through chest deep gator infested water? Or on a raft he made himself out of bamboo surrounded by Tiger Sharks bumping the bottom of it? He's much safer than a person stranded alone without a camera crew and whoever else following close behind, but he could still easily become diner for some hungry creature. :-o

Agreed. This guy is the real deal. Puts himself out there with everything on the line. I'm sorry, but I refuse to believe that his support team would need to get in real trouble before he gets himself mauled. The man crossed a gator infested river while swimming underwater, all the while hoping he doesn't run into one while he's crossing. God knows, anything could have happened.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:42 am

I'm not saying the guy is walking in a park, but he is not doing anything any more dangerous than any ranger in a wild game preserve does every day, let's say. Gator-infested waters? There are ways to scare off gators, or at least there are ways to get them to go somewhere else, prior to him swimming through the water. I mean honestly - why would he do that? For a TV show? That hardly seems plausible to me. It makes good TV but I'm not going to believe that he actually did that, with no prep work or safety work done ahead of time.

You see all the time on Mythbusters, for example, where their insurance company won't let them do this or that because of the cost involved, or the risk for harm or death. Why would this show not have the same constraints?

What seems more logical - that he's out there with pretty much zero safety net and everything we see is actually what would happen if we were in the same situation sans television crew, or that they're doing everything in their power to make it SEEM like that's the situation, but at the same time they're doing TV "tricks" to make his situation safer?

I watched last night's show where he went through the Outback for the second time. I have no doubt he's suffering. I have no doubt he's drinking his own urine, sleeping on that bed of branches he made, eating all that stuff he ate, etc. But at the same time, I also have no doubt he's NOT in immediate danger all the time, as he would be if he were alone.

Maybe this is a better way to say this: On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being Bear Is Alone And Near Death and 1 being Bear Is At Home On His Couch, I'd say his danger level is an 8 or maybe a 7, but not 10. I'm not saying it's a 4 or 5. He's in danger, just not AS MUCH as it would seem.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk