Return to Football Talk

Will Jon Kitna be a QB1?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re:

Postby spodog » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:51 am

Kensat30 wrote:
QB Tier Three
Matt Hasselbeck, Tony Romo, Jon Kitna, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler

Bump down Cutler and Leinart. Overvaluing youth and potential here. I like Leinhart and Cutler, but no way they should be considered top10 QBs just yet.

QB Tier Four
Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Vince Young, Eli Manning, Michael Vick, Jake Delhomme, Brett Favre

Bump up Michael Vick and Phillip Rivers. If you want to value youth go with Rivers. He has the surrounding cast and he did well last season. Vick is a perennial top10 QB, unless you feel the dog fighting will be an issue. I have a firm belief in rich guys getting out of criminal penalties though, should be nothing.

QB Tier Five
Chad Pennington, Alex Smith, Jeff Garcia, Damon Huard, Byron Leftwich, Steve McNair, Rex Grossman, J.P. Losman

Bump up Jeff Garcia and Byron Leftwich. Garcia is this year's undervalued "washed up" vet. Watch him turn Tampa's O respectable again. Byron Leftwich is a very solid QB when healthy. Top10 potential with the weapons he has on offense. Even if he goes down, he's your QB#2 anyways when you draft him outside the top15. No way he should fall outside the top20.

QB Tier Six
Jason Campbell, Charlie Frye, Matt Shaub, Tavaris Jackson, Josh McCown, Trent Green / Cleo Lemon

Bump up Matt Schaub and Trent Green. Matt Schaub is a no brainer passing the ball to one of the best WR#1s in the league, a porous D, a pass catching RB and TE, etc. Trent Green when he lands in Miami = value.

Dusting off an older post to bring this quetsion up:

Now that Trent Green is the clear starter in Miami, where does that put him in the above tiering system?

I'd say he is near the end of the Tier 3 list or top of the Tier 4 list
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Will Jon Kitna be a QB1?

Postby bravesfan42 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:06 pm

I think he'll be a solid QB1 for this season.
bravesfan42
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby chidoy » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:39 pm

IMHO, he could be a value QB1.... if you can load up on the rest of your RB's and WR's while others are taking QB's... you could get him later, making him a nice pick. He should be suffice provided your RB's and WR's are good picks. Good luck!
10 team / Keeper / 2QB 2RB 2WR Flex TE DEF
McNabb/ Griese / JP / Clemens
SJax / Gore / Julius / T.Jones
Braylon / B.Marshall / Cotchery /Hackett
Gates / Olson
TENN
chidoy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bravesfan42 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:56 pm

bravesfan42 wrote:I think he'll be a solid QB1 for this season.

Then again, he does remind me of Kerry Collins with the raiders a few years ago when many people were high on him. The difference being, he's not Kerry Collins. What I'm getting at is that he will probably be a decent option with potential but I'd be sure to pair him up with another dependable QB like an E.Manning or a J.Delhomme.
bravesfan42
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby PapaPark » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:10 pm

Trent Green is going to be a bust.
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jimboozie » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:27 pm

I posted this in the DTKW forum....

Nothing in Kitna's career numbers makes me believe he will improve his bad TD-INT ratio this season. During the span of his 10 year career, he's only had two seasons where his TD-INT ratio was +2 or better. Simply put, he's a veteran QB but has almost always played like a inexperienced QB. Too many dumb mistakes, forcing balls into coverage, bad reads, etc. Furthermore, Warner couldn't stay healthy in a Martz system, Bulger neither. The Lions O-line is mediocre at best, I think Kitna is a HUGE injury risk given all those times the Lions will be passing. I have a hard time believing Tatum Bell and TJ Duckett will keep defenses honest. So let's recap....A interception friendly QB with no line who will be dropping back to get killed more than almost any other QB in the league. Spend a early/mid round draft pick on him? No thanks.

Another bit to chew on...what's stopping the Lions from benching Kitna during the second half of the season? Odds are that they'll be out of playoff contention by midseason or so. Why wouldn't they give their #2 draft pick and QB of the future, Drew Stanton, a shot to at least see what he can do and get some game experience under his belt? Sure, Kitna has upside but far too much downside for me to use a 5th/6th round pick on him.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mattb47 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:45 pm

Jimboozie wrote:I posted this in the DTKW forum....

Nothing in Kitna's career numbers makes me believe he will improve his bad TD-INT ratio this season. During the span of his 10 year career, he's only had two seasons where his TD-INT ratio was +2 or better. Simply put, he's a veteran QB but has almost always played like a inexperienced QB. Too many dumb mistakes, forcing balls into coverage, bad reads, etc. Furthermore, Warner couldn't stay healthy in a Martz system, Bulger neither. The Lions O-line is mediocre at best, I think Kitna is a HUGE injury risk given all those times the Lions will be passing. I have a hard time believing Tatum Bell and TJ Duckett will keep defenses honest. So let's recap....A interception friendly QB with no line who will be dropping back to get killed more than almost any other QB in the league. Spend a early/mid round draft pick on him? No thanks.

Another bit to chew on...what's stopping the Lions from benching Kitna during the second half of the season? Odds are that they'll be out of playoff contention by midseason or so. Why wouldn't they give their #2 draft pick and QB of the future, Drew Stanton, a shot to at least see what he can do and get some game experience under his belt? Sure, Kitna has upside but far too much downside for me to use a 5th/6th round pick on him.

I suppose I'll post what I said in reply to that then. :-)

Well, for one thing Kitna has shown that he is a pretty tough QB when it comes to injuries and things. He rarely gets hurt and took the beating he had last year in stride without even a hiccup. I'm not concerned personally about him getting injured over the course of the season. And quite frankly, looking back at his career he's never had a situation as ideal for him as this one this year (and really the only one that comes close is his last year as the starter in Cincy when he had CJ and Housh to throw to and had his best year ever QB rating wise). Two VERY talented WRs to throw to in Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson and an excellent slot man in Mike Furrey who could make up one of the better WR trios in the NFL this year. Put that together with the fact that Mike Martz's offense always produces big numbers and that they're going into their second year of running this offense and you've got a heck of a lot of potential to get better this year.

When has Mike Martz ever cared about a RB being able to keep defenses honest? He passes to set up the pass, then he might think about running later on, but he'll end up passing anyway. The RBs are just another target in his passing offense for the most part and without Jones healthy they'll be passing plenty and it's the same as Martz has always done. Stanton is just what you said the QB of the future, not the QB of the here and now....they know he's not ready to take over this year and they'll probably point to how well Palmer turned out after spending a year of playing under Kitna in Cincy. I think there's actually very little chance we'll see anyone but Kitna behind center all year long no matter how poor the Lions are doing record wise.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Jimboozie » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:47 pm

LOL

So then you're willing to spend a 5th/6th round pick on him?
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mattb47 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:00 pm

Jimboozie wrote:LOL

So then you're willing to spend a 5th/6th round pick on him?

I spent that high a pick on him in the cafe league of champions league but that's a 16 team league so it was basically the equivalent of a 7th-8th round pick or so in other leagues. And I would take him there in leagues if he was available....7th or 8th round sounds about right for me. I'm not a huge fan of taking a QB too early so he's certainly a guy I'm targeting around that range.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby PapaPark » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:02 pm

I'm seeing Kitna go from rounds 6-8 and around the 7th(average) overall QB taken.
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk