NFLPA supports PacMan's Appeal.. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

NFLPA supports PacMan's Appeal..

Moderator: Football Moderators

NFLPA supports PacMan's Appeal..

Postby mrblitz » Tue May 29, 2007 6:41 pm

NFLPA supports Pacman Jones in appeal

NFL.com wire reports

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (May 29, 2007) -- The NFL Players Association is supporting Tennessee Titans cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones' appeal for leniency to league commissioner Roger Goodell.

"Your suspension of Jones without pay for the entire 2007 season is clearly excessive and much greater than discipline imposed upon other players for the same or similar incidents," the NFLPA said in a letter to Goodell on May 23.

The letter, obtained by The Associated Press, was signed by staff counsel Thomas J. DePaso.

The union generally supports players when they are disciplined by the league or teams -- it's a standard part of protecting players' jobs. Two years ago, it took Terrell Owens' suspension by the Philadelphia Eagles to arbitration.

Goodell suspended Jones on April 10 for a series of off-field incidents in two seasons with the Titans. Jones and his attorneys appealed the suspension May 11; Goodell has not issued a decision on the appeal.

Jones had been suspended partly because of pending charges, which the union wrote "violates clearly established principles of employment and labor law."

The letter said "no player has ever been disciplined by the commissioner for conduct relating to criminal charges while they are pending."

Jones' punishment stemmed from arrests in February for obstruction of police in Georgia and public intoxication and disorderly conduct last August. Goodell also cited Jones for failing to report the February arrest and a March arrest on marijuana possession charges. The marijuana charges were later dismissed.

In Las Vegas, police have recommended charges against Jones for inciting a fight inside a strip club in February that resulted in a triple shooting and left one man paralyzed.

The Georgia case has been postponed until fall.

Manny Arora, Jones' lawyer, said the letter "speaks for itself."

"The NFLPA has outlined their position in their letter," he said, declining to comment further.

The Titans, meanwhile, have signed veteran cornerback Nick Harper and used their top draft pick this year on safety Michael Griffin, who might be shifted to cornerback.

Jones, in two seasons, became a shutdown cornerback and dangerous punt returner. He was the sixth overall selection and first defensive player taken in the 2005 NFL Draft.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2007, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby PapaPark » Tue May 29, 2007 7:45 pm

They are saying that with Vick something needs to come down through the court before any suspension can be handed down.

So I say until Pacman goes to court.. he plays.

or.. suspend Vick NOW.

I hate double standards.
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby aaawall91 » Tue May 29, 2007 8:27 pm

Exactly, its ridiculous, Henry hasn't been to jail (I believe), he has been on probation but thats it. While Tank Johnson DID go to Jail (and had a meeting with Goodell soon after Henry and Pacman) and I don't recall him getting any sort of punishment from the NFL.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby maddog60 » Tue May 29, 2007 8:31 pm

The players association is doing their job, fighting for the players, whether they're clearly in the right or wrong. It's like a defense attorney with a clearly guilty person who wants to plead innocent, they have to fight for them just like they were innocent.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue May 29, 2007 8:33 pm

PapaPark wrote:They are saying that with Vick something needs to come down through the court before any suspension can be handed down.

So I say until Pacman goes to court.. he plays.

or.. suspend Vick NOW.

I hate double standards.

I agree in a way, but with Vick, its not a completely open and closed that he did something wrong unless they say that the dogs being on his property is wrong. They have video with Pacman and part of his suspension is due to DUI's isn't it?
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PapaPark » Tue May 29, 2007 8:36 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:
I agree in a way, but with Vick, its not a completely open and closed that he did something wrong unless they say that the dogs being on his property is wrong. They have video with Pacman and part of his suspension is due to DUI's isn't it?

Yeh it's called cover up for the face of the NFL.

How about that water bottle incident at the airport... or him flipping the bird to a fan..

Those weren't directed to you because I see where you are coming from but we have witnesses (several of them) claiming Vick was in fact there.
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby G3_175SE » Thu May 31, 2007 9:21 pm

they won't be doing their job if they didn't appeal it. While I support the suspension, the NFLPA would have to appeal to make people think they care.
G3_175SE
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Football Talk