Lions have to earn their lions??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Lions have to earn their lions???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby SeaWolf » Wed May 30, 2007 8:18 pm

PapaPark wrote:If you are a professional athlete and you need a lion sticker to motivate you then something is very wrong (Obvisiouly they are the Lions)

This is something pee-wee football would do.

I would be shamed to have even made this public.

I agree, but some players are in it for the money. How many players have huge years the year their contract expires, then the next year they have an average year.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Atog » Wed May 30, 2007 8:53 pm

Atog wrote:I can't think of anything funny to say about the Lions at the moment but I'm sure that something is warranted :-°

I thought of something!

Wouldn't a more effective way of motivating the players be offering to take the Lions logo OFF of the helmet???

:-D :-D :-D
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed May 30, 2007 9:36 pm

SeaWolf wrote:
PapaPark wrote:If you are a professional athlete and you need a lion sticker to motivate you then something is very wrong (Obvisiouly they are the Lions)

I agree, but some players are in it for the money. How many players have huge years the year their contract expires, then the next year they have an average year.

Anything that separates out and calls out a player can be used for motivation. Will it motivate a TO type personality? No, but it will motivate a lot of rookies and first year players. If it didn't, why would coaches still use it?
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SeaWolf » Wed May 30, 2007 9:40 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:
SeaWolf wrote:

Anything that separates out and calls out a player can be used for motivation. Will it motivate a TO type personality? No, but it will motivate a lot of rookies and first year players. If it didn't, why would coaches still use it?

I'm not saying it's a good thing. I'm all for motivation, cause I can sure use some. I just think some people like a TO or Randy Moss, it would not work.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed May 30, 2007 9:44 pm

SeaWolf wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:
SeaWolf wrote:

I'm not saying it's a good thing. I'm all for motivation, cause I can sure use some. I just think some people like a TO or Randy Moss, it would not work.

Exactly. I am not saying that it works for everybody either, but at the same time its not totally useless. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu May 31, 2007 12:39 am

Alot of coaches use it and it's very public. Why would the Lions be any different...alot of very good coaches.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby PapaPark » Thu May 31, 2007 5:45 am

TheRawDAWG wrote:

Alot of coaches use it and it's very public. Why would the Lions be any different...alot of very good coaches.

Let's see those public reports?

I can't see Peyton working for his "colt" or Tomlinson working for his "bolt"

The point is - I could see this at the college level.. but the pro-level.. not something that is this elementary.
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby dgan » Thu May 31, 2007 5:51 am

PapaPark wrote:
TheRawDAWG wrote:

The point is - I could see this at the college level.. but the pro-level.. not something that is this elementary.

Detroit IS at the college level...I can think of a handful of Universities that would beat them regularly. :-D
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby dream_017 » Thu May 31, 2007 7:56 am

PapaPark wrote:
TheRawDAWG wrote:

If you read the 1st page you would see that arguably the best coach in the NFL(now retired) did it. Parcells did it with the Cowboys.

Obviously a team currently as good as the Colts or Bolts don't need to do this so you would see Manning or LT2 working for his logo.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby moochman » Thu May 31, 2007 12:25 pm

dream_017 wrote:
PapaPark wrote:
TheRawDAWG wrote:

If you read the 1st page you would see that arguably the best coach in the NFL(now retired) did it. Parcells did it with the Cowboys.

Obviously a team currently as good as the Colts or Bolts don't need to do this so you would see Manning or LT2 working for his logo.

Do you honestly think that a silly motivational ploy is going to work for the Lions, Atog? This ranks right along with sending the team to Oakland on gameday to build charactor through adversity. That worked real well didn't it?
Is one to assume that the reason someone would play hard is to earn a frickin decal? Aren't these the "men" that Marinelli has hand picked because they fit his profile of "loving football, not being able to live without it"? Would players like that need a silly motivational tool like earning a decal be of any worth to players like that?
Conversly, would players who are disinterested, or only playing for the coin give a Lions' mane about a silly decal?
And what of the psyche of the secondary when week 8 rolls along and they own the only unadorned helmets on the team?
:-b
I mean, seriously, which players in the NFL do you think would be motivated by this over the course of a season? Couldn't he just tell them to "win one for the (insert whichever LB happens to be injured that particular week)?" This reeks of silly high school stuff from a coach who isn't even qualified to coach a high school team.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk