An Odd News Tour of the World - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

An Odd News Tour of the World

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby stomperrob » Wed May 30, 2007 4:47 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:My question: what's the point of a gold bathtub?

golden showers??? 8-o
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby treat24 » Wed May 30, 2007 4:48 pm

stomperrob wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:My question: what's the point of a gold bathtub?

golden showers??? 8-o

the only thing worse than that i suppose is golden baths :-o
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed May 30, 2007 11:23 pm

WOW, we live in a crazy world. 8-o :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:47 am

Update: organ donor show not real...

June 1, 2007, 11:47PM

Organ donor TV show turns out to be a hoax

Effort was meant to spur changes in Dutch laws on organ donation

By TOBY STERLING
Associated Press

AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS — A television show in which a woman would donate a kidney to a contestant was revealed as a hoax Friday, with presenters saying they were trying to pressure the government to reform organ donation laws.

Shortly before the program was to air, Patrick Lodiers of the Big Donor Show said the woman was not dying of a brain tumor and the entire exercise was intended to put pressure on the government and raise awareness of the need for organs.

The three prospective recipients were real patients in need of transplants and had been in on the hoax, the show said.

The program concept had received widespread criticism for being tasteless and unethical.

But Lodiers said it was "reality that was shocking" because around 200 people die annually in the Netherlands while waiting for a kidney, and the average wait is more than four years. Under Dutch rules, donors must be friends, or preferably, family of the recipient. Meeting on a TV show wouldn't qualify.

"I thought it was brilliant, really," said Caroline Klingers, a kidney patient who was watching the show at a kidney treatment center in Bussum, Netherlands.

"I know these transplant doctors, and I thought they'll never go and actually do it. But it's good for the publicity and there are no losers."

During the show, 25 kidney patients were vetted by "Lisa," and most were quickly dismissed for being too old, too young, smokers, ex-smokers or unemployed. Contestants gave moving pleas for why they should receive the organ.

"It really hurt watching that," said Tim Duyst, whose wife is awaiting a transplant and cannot work. "You're dismissed in a wave of the hand."

Viewers were called on to express an opinion or vote for their favorite candidate by text message.

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Previous

Return to General Talk