Mark Cuban wants league to rival NFL.. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Mark Cuban wants league to rival NFL..

Moderator: Football Moderators

Mark Cuban wants league to rival NFL..

Postby mrblitz » Wed May 30, 2007 4:33 pm

Mavs' owner Cuban says pro football demand is greater than supply
Associated Press

Updated: May 30, 2007, 5:30 PM ET

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is part of a group considering formation of a football league that would compete with the NFL for players drafted lower than the second round.

The league, still very much in the preliminary stage, would play its games on Friday nights. The NFL does not play then because of the potential conflict with high school football.

"It's a pretty simple concept," Cuban said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "We think there is more demand for pro football than supply."

The proposal was first disclosed by The New York Times on its Web site, which said it was the idea of Bill Hambrecht, a Wall Street investor who was a minority partner in the Oakland Invaders of the USFL, which played in the spring from 1983-85. Sharon Smith, a spokeswoman for Hambrecht and Company, had no comment and said Hambrecht was traveling and unavailable to talk about the idea.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said he was aware of the proposed league, but had no further comment.

There have been numerous leagues that have tried to compete with the NFL and a few that actually played games, starting with the AFL, which began in 1960 and fully merged with the NFL a decade later. It included such current franchises as New England, Oakland, Kansas City, San Diego, Buffalo, the New York Jets and Denver.

More recently came the World Football League in the early 1970s, which raided the NFL for such stars as Larry Csonka. Then came the USFL, which played in the spring before folding after receiving only $3 in an antitrust "victory" over the NFL.

The USFL featured such future Hall of Famers as Jim Kelly, Reggie White and Steve Young, but lost millions of dollars trying to compete for players. It also had internal struggles among a majority of owners who wanted to stay in the spring, and the best known among them, Donald Trump, who wanted to move to the fall and try to force a merger with the NFL.

The most recent pro football league was the XFL, founded by the World Wrestling Federation and televised by NBC. The XFL lasted just three months in the spring of 2001 and was best known for a player named Rod Smart, called "He Hate Me," who later played as a return man and backup running back in the NFL.

So far, the proposed new league is in its infancy and Cuban is the only potential owner for what the founders hope will be an eight-team league.

Cuban said in his e-mail he believes the salary cap makes it easier to compete financially with the NFL because of the salary imbalance that leaves lower-level players with lower salaries. That would allow the new league to fill its rosters with players taken lower than the second round, as well as late NFL cuts and free agents who escape the NFL draft.

Many such players, including Tom Brady, a sixth-round pick of New England, have become NFL stars.

"That's not to say it will be easy. It won't," Cuban wrote. "We still have to cover quite a bit of ground and have a lot of milestones to hit. That said, if we can get the right owners I obviously think we can make this work."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby treat24 » Wed May 30, 2007 4:36 pm

we'll see if this one works... i'd probably give it a watch
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Dawinner127 » Wed May 30, 2007 4:47 pm

"That's not to say it will be easy. It won't," Cuban wrote. "We still have to cover quite a bit of ground and have a lot of milestones to hit. That said, if we can get the right owners I obviously think we can make this work."

I lol'ed at that. "If we can get the right owners I obviously think we can make this work", yet, he never goes with anything and is always an outcast.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 71)

Postby onnestabe » Wed May 30, 2007 4:56 pm

It's not going to work. This league obviously won't make as much money as the NFL, so the players won't make as much money as they could in the NFL.

This new league wants to compete for guys that would have been 2nd round NFL draft picks, but there is no reason for a 2nd round talent not to play in the NFL. This new league won't bring in as much, so the players won't earn as much. As a 2nd round pick, you stand a better chance of making money by outperforming your rookie contract than to spend a few years beating up on sub-par competition because NFL talent scouts won't respect the experience (because the competition is sub-par). If anything, playing in this league hurts your chances of having NFL success because of the beating you will take playing in it. It would be like playing an extra 3 years of college ball and putting up huge numbers - your stats look great, but GMs have to wonder how much longer you can sustain that production before your body breaks down.

This league won't be competing against the NFL for players, it will be competing with the CFL and Arena League.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby stomperrob » Wed May 30, 2007 5:46 pm

A fool and his money are soon parted.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Munboy » Wed May 30, 2007 6:42 pm

stomperrob wrote:A fool and his money are soon parted.

He should talk to Vince McMann (or whatever that WWE dude's name is). He might change his mind.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Patchell » Wed May 30, 2007 6:52 pm

If Cuban was smart he would work with the NFL to create an 8 team minor league affiliate for the NFL in North America.
Patchell
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby PapaPark » Wed May 30, 2007 7:40 pm

This will never be more than a dream for Cuban and he knows it.
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed May 30, 2007 7:46 pm

:-b

That's hilarious.

I hope he isn't serious for his sake, or he's gonna lose a lot of money.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby PapaPark » Wed May 30, 2007 7:59 pm

Plus - I think he should just focus on how to get out of the playoffs WITH the championship and not an early exit.
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk