Mark Cuban wants league to rival NFL.. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Mark Cuban wants league to rival NFL..

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby G3_175SE » Wed May 30, 2007 10:26 pm

I would prefer a league that would play at the time that the XFL did. Gave me more football to watch. We had a team in Memphis and it was fun to go to the games. Don't think I would watch Friday nights. Too many other things to do.
G3_175SE
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Santacruzer » Thu May 31, 2007 3:21 am

While I would agree that there is more demand for football than is presently available with 32 teams, I cannot see how this would work either.

The XFL came and went faster than anything. They had A LOT of hype surrounding it and it's gimmicks (race to centerfield for the ball, etc), and they couldn't make a go of it because it just cannot compete with what the NFL has built.

Playing with second rate players just doesn't draw a crowd. Like the XFL, CFL, or Arena League, once a player shows any glimpse or flashes of potential there gone to the NFL to make more money. This league would be no different.
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dgan » Thu May 31, 2007 3:29 am

Plus, the rule is "always leave them wanting more". I already get upset when football is on 4 days a week. I don't want to be inundated with football...I want to treasure it like the rare thing of beauty that it is.

Baseball and basketball seemingly go on every day forever...I don't want football to be that way. I mean, sitting around having these stupid conversations is what makes the NFL so great. We CAN'T WAIT for it to start again. If it were on all the time, we wouldn't care so much about it.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby moochman » Thu May 31, 2007 1:05 pm

[quote="onnestabe"]This new league wants to compete for guys that would have been 2nd round NFL draft picks, but there is no reason for a 2nd round talent not to play in the NFL. [quote]

Unless they're talking about Lions second round picks. There are plenty reasons those 2nd round talents don't play in the NFL.
Of course if that is the caliber players Cuban is looking at, then there is no reason to watch.

I'm a football nut. I wouldn't mind if he did something like this and showed it late night Saturday or Sunday mornings before the real football. If that can field competitve teams and have an agreement with the NFL for players to graduate to the bigs, I would watch some.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby aaawall91 » Thu May 31, 2007 7:06 pm

I can only see good come of this for the fans and players in the NFL. If the other league is even semi-successful the NFL will be forced to do things it usually would not do, and I can see great benefits for the fans, what, I'm not sure of...but something.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby Hubarooski » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:41 pm

This guy is an idiot. As a Mavs fan, I originally like him. He is very good at marketing his product like signing Dennis Rodman when the Mavs were terrible just to get people to watch. But now all he does is complain and he has lost any power b/c he whines about everything.
Hubarooski
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby treat24 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:49 pm

Hubarooski wrote:This guy is an idiot. As a Mavs fan, I originally like him. He is very good at marketing his product like signing Dennis Rodman when the Mavs were terrible just to get people to watch. But now all he does is complain and he has lost any power b/c he whines about everything.

which is why i like him... he's funny... i don't see this league working, but I say go ahead, give me another option for my entertainment... ;-D
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Hubarooski » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:55 pm

What happens when the referees that Cuban hired and trained screw up a call?
Hubarooski
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby treat24 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:56 pm

Hubarooski wrote:What happens when the referees that Cuban hired and trained screw up a call?

we lynch the refs and cuban :-b
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Infidel » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:26 pm

Cuban doesn't understand one fundamental fact. The demand for "NFL football" is not the same as the demand for "professional football."
CheeseWhiz is a great substitute for plazma.
Infidel
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk