Early Looks at the Rooks - QBs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Early Looks at the Rooks - QBs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby nathanielwegman88 » Wed May 30, 2007 11:53 pm

Stanton is the long-term QB in Detroit, no matter how Orvlosky or w/e his name is

its Stanton for the long-haul

i'd bet almost anything on that (if he is solid, no matter how good Or-nobody-is) ;-D
nathanielwegman88
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Atog » Thu May 31, 2007 10:49 am

nathanielwegman88 wrote:Stanton is the long-term QB in Detroit, no matter how Orvlosky or w/e his name is

i'd bet almost anything on that (if he is solid, no matter how good Or-nobody-is) ;-D

What's your source? Do you closely follow Detroit sports?
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Thu May 31, 2007 11:28 pm

Wow that's a bold opinion of Stanton there...Late first round?

I am big on him, but seems to be he's more valuable and can be had late second in most drafts. I have gotten him at 2.9 and 3.1 so far.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FantasyMan13 » Thu May 31, 2007 11:30 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:
The Lung wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:I'm pretty high on Stanton too. Honestly, I just can't think of a better situation on offense for a rookie QB. The Lions just picked up possibly one of the best WR corps in all of football (depending on how CJ2 works out), they've worked to improve their offensive line, Kevin Jones (when healthy) and Tatum Bell is a good enough running back platoon, and Stanton has a great mentor to learn from in Jon Kitna, who helped make Carson Palmer what he is today. Undoubtedly, Palmer's talent helped him a lot, but it isn't like he got there with no help at all. Palmer was one of the best quarterbacks in the league by his third year; that doesn't come off of just talent.

Don't forget Stanton is being coached by Mike Martz, too. ;-D

Touche. ;-D

Did you seriously just compare Drew freakin Stanton to Carson Palmer?! Wow. :-° :-b
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby TheDiplomats » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:55 am

Atog wrote:
nathanielwegman88 wrote:Stanton is the long-term QB in Detroit, no matter how Orvlosky or w/e his name is

What's your source? Do you closely follow Detroit sports?

He probably drafted Stanton in his dynasty league. Makes him an expert you know... ;-D
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Dolfin99 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:02 am

I like Stanton in Dynasty/keeper leagues. Imaging in a few years throwing to CJ and RW 8-o

I do not expect Kitns to be around too much longer.
Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig.
Dolfin99

EditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re:

Postby Atog » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:32 pm

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (Aug. 3, 2007) -- The Detroit Lions placed rookie quarterback Drew Stanton on injured reserve, ending his season to open up a roster spot for wide receiver Calvin Johnson, the second overall pick in April's draft.

The former Michigan State quarterback injured his knee during the first week of camp and underwent arthroscopic surgery July 31. The second-round pick was expected to miss all of training camp, meaning he wouldn't get enough practice time to learn Mike Martz's difficult offensive scheme.

"We didn't know exactly when he would be healthy enough to play, and it is hard to keep an injured guy on the roster when you need all the depth you can get," Lions coach Rod Marinelli said. "This way, we can focus on rehabbing his knee and working with him in the classroom."

Who was it earlier in this thread who was saying not to expect much from Stanton early on? Because they really had this nail hit on the head.

B-)
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Re:

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:48 pm

FantasyMan13 wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:I'm pretty high on Stanton too. Honestly, I just can't think of a better situation on offense for a rookie QB. The Lions just picked up possibly one of the best WR corps in all of football (depending on how CJ2 works out), they've worked to improve their offensive line, Kevin Jones (when healthy) and Tatum Bell is a good enough running back platoon, and Stanton has a great mentor to learn from in Jon Kitna, who helped make Carson Palmer what he is today. Undoubtedly, Palmer's talent helped him a lot, but it isn't like he got there with no help at all. Palmer was one of the best quarterbacks in the league by his third year; that doesn't come off of just talent.

Did you seriously just compare Drew freakin Stanton to Carson Palmer?! Wow. :-° :-b

Uh, no, I simply stated that the same quarterback who mentored Carson Palmer is now mentoring Stanton. Obviously Stanton doesn't have the skills that Palmer had coming out of college, but Kitna definitley won't hurt him.

Stanton being out for the year will definitely decrease his value, which I love. That still doesn't seriously affect his chances of future success. Kitna was the definite starter anyway, and Stanton probably won't start until the middle of 2008 at the earliest, possibly later. I'll still be targetting him in my rookie drafts, probably third round.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Re: Early Looks at the Rooks - QBs

Postby maddog60 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:36 pm

For fantasy, I'd put stanton at least QB #2 in a dynasty. Kolb I would take a flier on if I had McNabb simply after seeing what a formerly washed up Gracia did. The only way Russell only has 150-200 scrambling for his life is because the pass protection is so bad, he's usually scrambling from the entire defensive line. Unless Kiffin magically turns that front 5 into decent pass blockers Russell may end up with more runs than passes.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Football Talk