Idea to speed this along next year - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to 2007 Cafeholics Reshuffle

Idea to speed this along next year

Moderators: SwiperNoSwiping, The Balanced Man, Football Moderators

Idea to speed this along next year

Postby knapplc » Thu May 31, 2007 8:54 am

It's possible that we'll finish this thing this year, but if we have too many more slow weeks we're going to be very hard pressed to get it done. Next year, I suggest we do this as two separate drafts, one for Offense and one for Defense, running concurrently. That'll cut our time frame in half and give us a much better chance of finishing.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Alkaholik » Thu May 31, 2007 10:07 am

wow!!!!! killer idea Knapp! i like it
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby skibrett15 » Thu May 31, 2007 10:33 am

I like the offense and defense comparisons. I don't think it would be nearly as challenging with separate drafts.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby CC » Thu May 31, 2007 2:59 pm

skibrett15 wrote:I like the offense and defense comparisons. I don't think it would be nearly as challenging with separate drafts.

Agreed, it would take a lot of the skill out of it as you would no longer have to balance your team as you wouldn't have a choice. I think it would just make all the offenses and defenses decent but not great and it would be much harder to determine the best teams.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu May 31, 2007 3:14 pm

Eh. I agree with the lowered difficulty/skill level. Let's see if we get this done this year. If not, and it fails two years in a row, we may have to think of alternative plans.

I suppose one other option would be to pick two players per round, but that's a crummy idea, too.

It's too bad we can't all get in some giant, stinky room with some cheap whiskey and stale cigars and hash this out in one day. :-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Jimboozie » Thu May 31, 2007 5:19 pm

CC wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:I like the offense and defense comparisons. I don't think it would be nearly as challenging with separate drafts.

Agreed, it would take a lot of the skill out of it as you would no longer have to balance your team as you wouldn't have a choice. I think it would just make all the offenses and defenses decent but not great and it would be much harder to determine the best teams.

Third that. Its no secret that I'm loading up on defense to counterbalance all these offensive players flying off the board.

Here's an idea -- start this right after the Super Bowl! ;-D
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Thu May 31, 2007 6:06 pm

I like Boozie's idea, though the rooks become an issue then.

Perhaps next year we could find a starting time for everyone (dismal chance at best, but maybe at least try) to begin it online, and maybe crank out 3-4 rounds in the first night.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby terpfan » Thu May 31, 2007 7:01 pm

Eh, it's a good idea to save time, but it changes a lot. What if you want to build like the Ravens, with a great defense and average offense? Or go the other way around? doesnt leave as much strategy, it would be more just picking the BPA. Which is fine, but not as interesting.

We have been moving pretty well recently, I think we will make it. The best advice for next year would just be to pay attention like we are now, and werent earlier, and start earlier in the offseason. Or implement a 12 hour rule.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:28 am

terpfan wrote:Eh, it's a good idea to save time, but it changes a lot. What if you want to build like the Ravens, with a great defense and average offense? Or go the other way around? doesnt leave as much strategy, it would be more just picking the BPA. Which is fine, but not as interesting.

We have been moving pretty well recently, I think we will make it. The best advice for next year would just be to pay attention like we are now, and werent earlier, and start earlier in the offseason. Or implement a 12 hour rule.

For the reasons mentioned, I definitely don't think we should have 2 separate drafts. Starting earlier would definitely help but I think we should start after the NFL Draft so early May is the earliest we can start....unless we eliminate rookies. :-?

But terp has the best idea IMO. Implement a 12 hour rule. This will make everyone have to check in more often. ;-D ;-D ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Jimboozie » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:50 am

What difference does it make waiting after the NFL draft?

It doesn't matter who Calvin Johnson gets drafted by, he's still going to be the top WR. Everybody knows this in January, why wait until the draft? Waiting would make things easier for people who don't follow college football, but its not like we would have the reshuffle finished by April.

Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to 2007 Cafeholics Reshuffle