Jamal Lewis - in best shape in 2 years - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jamal Lewis - in best shape in 2 years

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jamal Lewis - in best shape in 2 years

Postby stomperrob » Thu May 31, 2007 1:38 pm

Says he's finally 100% after 2 years of nagging injuries and ready to put up some big numbers in the Browns' offense:

Browns back Lewis say's he will be 100 percent for training camp

Thursday, May 31, 2007
By Steve Doerschuk
repository sports writer

BEREA After five spring practices, Jamal Lewis said the surgery seems to have worked. The spurs are out of his ankle. He's ready to dig in and ride.

"I feel so much better as far as making different cuts," the Browns running back said.

Playing for Baltimore in 2006, Lewis ranked seventh in the AFC in rushing yards and touchdowns, but he was nagged by ankle problems.

At age 27, he's trying to recapture the magic of 2003, when he rushed for 2,066 yards.

"I'm making cuts I haven't really made in the last two years," he said.

Lewis was supposed to ease back into spring and be at full go for summer training camp.

"I'm surprised to be out here this early," he said. "The trainers ... Marty (Lauzon) has taken care of me and everything.

"By training camp, I'll be 100 percent. Right now, I'm probably around 85 to 90 percent, but I feel well."

How close to full-go was he in his final year as a Raven?

"I wasn't at 90 percent at all last season," he said. "Under some good medication, I might have been 90 percent."

Lewis is adjusting to a new offense run by coordinator Rob Chudzinski.

"It's not as simple as Baltimore's was," Lewis said. "We kind of disguise things and keep eight out of the box.

"It's a lot of moving around, something I'm not used to. A lot of shifts and motions. There's a lot going in. It's very interesting. It'll keep you awake in meetings."

Chudzinski spent the last two years as an offensive coach with the Chargers.

"Ours is gonna be pretty much that package," Lewis said. "A lot of pounding. A lot of fullback leading up in the middle ... stretch plays also. A mixture of everything. I like it a lot."

No one has mentioned Lewis in the same breath as San Diego's LaDainian Tomlinson lately. It's interesting to note, though, that Tomlinson will turn 28 on June 23. Lewis won't be 28 until Aug. 29. Through 2003, Tomlinson and Lewis both had played in 48 games. Lewis had 4,757 rushing yards. Tomlinson had 4,564.

Does Lewis think he can be as dominant as Tomlinson or the other top running backs out there in 2007?

"In the right system - and I think this is the right system - I could be one of the best backs, if not the best in the NFL," Lewis said.

Reach Repository sports writer Steve Doerschuk at (330) 580-8347 or e-mail:

mailto:steve.doerschuk@cantonrep.com

source:
http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?Cate ... istSignup=
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby wbgrafix » Thu May 31, 2007 1:45 pm

BIG NUMBERS & CLEVELAND OFFENSE don't sound right.
wbgrafix
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu May 31, 2007 2:47 pm

I've heard this story before and I don't buy it. Jamal's burned me enough in the past and there's simply no way I'm drinking his juice now that he's playing in Cleveland. I'd be stunned if he averages more than 3.6 a carry, especially since there's absolutely no threat at quarterback. Defenses will be keying in on him all day, forcing whomever the Brownies decide to put behind center to beat them in the air.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mrblitz » Thu May 31, 2007 2:49 pm

I have to see it to believe it myself. I hope he can be successful, and I believe he is capable of posting really good numbers, but show me something first.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby PapaPark » Thu May 31, 2007 3:34 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:I've heard this story before and I don't buy it. Jamal's burned me enough in the past and there's simply no way I'm drinking his juice now that he's playing in Cleveland. I'd be stunned if he averages more than 3.6 a carry, especially since there's absolutely no threat at quarterback. Defenses will be keying in on him all day, forcing whomever the Brownies decide to put behind center to beat them in the air.

werd
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby northcuttfan » Thu May 31, 2007 4:09 pm

im lookin forward to 1,300 12 td's this year from jamal.. go browns
northcuttfan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby IronMike420 » Thu May 31, 2007 4:18 pm

The Browns have one of the toughest divisions to play in and a tough schedule to boot.But I think Lewis will post similar if not better numbers than last year in Clev.The left side of their line with Steinbach and Thomas should be able to open some holes for Lewis.It might take awhile for the o line to gel but it should be the best they had since they've been back.If Droughns can bust out 1200 yds with what they had then .there is no reason to not expect more out of Lewis.Especially if he really is healthier than he's been the last few years.The Browns are improving.The D should be better and so should the O.Winslow finally showed up and Braylon showed flashes.Clev was decimated with injuries last year as well.When you don't have any depth you can't win.In the end either Frye or Quinn will have to step up to keep defenses honest. I think Lewis will be a solid #2 rb this year.
IronMike420
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mystykoekaki » Thu May 31, 2007 4:36 pm

northcuttfan wrote:im lookin forward to 1,300 12 td's this year from jamal.. go browns

:-? haha :-?
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jaguar100 » Thu May 31, 2007 4:56 pm

Ive been a fan of Lewis and wish him a lot of luck in Cleveland but I just dont see it happening.
jaguar100
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Kensat30 » Thu May 31, 2007 5:27 pm

That's funny, here's an excerpt from an article dated from October of last year, read into it what you will.

For the first time this season, RB Jamal Lewis talked inclusively about the problems with the team's running game. As spunky as ever, he cited having to adjust to playing without a fullback and to playing with a proven quarterback for the first time. "I've had to make an adjustment. I've had to run with one less person leading the way, and one more person in the way," Lewis said. "I'm not a 13- to 15-carry back. You know that, I know that and the Ravens know that," Lewis said. "I have no injuries, and I feel good. "I'm the type of back that has to carry the ball about 25 to 30 times a game".
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Next

Return to Football Talk