Jamal Lewis - in best shape in 2 years - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jamal Lewis - in best shape in 2 years

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby LukeW9027 » Thu May 31, 2007 5:46 pm

Lewis is finished. Everybody always says how great they feel and blah blah blah, he hasnt done anything the last two years and is getting to old to be the guy he used to be.

The Future is here
LukeW9027
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: "In Greek Mythology,The Titans were even greater than the gods" Coach Boone

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu May 31, 2007 5:50 pm

Kensat30 wrote:That's funny, here's an excerpt from an article dated from October of last year, read into it what you will.

For the first time this season, RB Jamal Lewis talked inclusively about the problems with the team's running game. As spunky as ever, he cited having to adjust to playing without a fullback and to playing with a proven quarterback for the first time. "I've had to make an adjustment. I've had to run with one less person leading the way, and one more person in the way," Lewis said. "I'm not a 13- to 15-carry back. You know that, I know that and the Ravens know that," Lewis said. "I have no injuries, and I feel good. "I'm the type of back that has to carry the ball about 25 to 30 times a game".

That's exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote my rant about him earlier in this thread. Same story, different team and a year older. There's no reason to believe he's going to get any better than last season now that he's in Cleveland. As for 1,300 yards and 12 touchdowns. Yeah, good luck with that. The last time a Browns running back ran for 1,300 yards was Jim Brown in 1965, so don't hold your breath. :-°
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheDiplomats » Thu May 31, 2007 6:28 pm

Don't sleep on Jamal. The Baltimore offensive line has been horrendous the past 2 seasons and it did seem like Lewis lost a step..however, playing at 255 pounds and having bone spurs in your ankle will do that to you. He's trimmed down to 235 and says he's completely healthy for the first time in a while. This is Jamal's real do or die year. I do think defenses will key on him and playing in a tough division with a brutal schedule will hamper his numbers, but don't be surprised if he turns out to be a good #2 RB for your fantasy squad.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby aaawall91 » Thu May 31, 2007 6:34 pm

mystykoekaki wrote:
northcuttfan wrote:im lookin forward to 1,300 12 td's this year from jamal.. go browns

:-? haha :-?

The real haha here is that northcutt is on the Brownies anymore.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby dgan » Thu May 31, 2007 9:59 pm

Remember when he had nothing better to do in jail but work out and be in the best shape of his life? How'd that work out?

Has been, unfortunately. He'll be a carry machine, but anything better than 4 ypc will be considered a success.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Dawinner127 » Thu May 31, 2007 10:02 pm

mystykoekaki wrote:
northcuttfan wrote:im lookin forward to 1,300 12 td's this year from jamal.. go browns

:-? haha :-?
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby deluxe_247 » Thu May 31, 2007 11:21 pm

dgan wrote:Remember when he had nothing better to do in jail but work out and be in the best shape of his life? How'd that work out?

to be fair...he actually never said that that year (2 seasons ago). he was actually rehabilitating ankle surgery when he was in jail, and he probably shouldnt have come back to play as early as he did that year. last year he did say that though.

j-lew is my boy, but he has never been the same since the ankle injury. i think he can still be a beast, but he needs good blocking and holes in the line (sometihng we didnt give him very often). he seems to have lost a lot of his cutting ability and is a almost pure downhill runner now. if he gets momentum.... he is a force. i honestly see his production being a bit better than last year, but still not super great on that team as he will be keyed on if the passing game fails. still...a solid RB3.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Thu May 31, 2007 11:43 pm

To be fair to Lewis he is going to have a pretty good O-line now. Browns should get Bentley back and have added Steinbach and Thomas (major upgrades).

2 years ago Droughns rushed for 1,200yds.

Lewis will be atleast a solid flex position player, and if you can get that in the 5th round, that's darn good value. He's disappointed the last 2 years. Now that his value is as low as it has been since he tore his ACL, it's a great year to draft him considering where you can get him.

Heck, even as bad as he was running the ball last year, he still had 1,100yds and 9 TDs. Sorry, 27, 28 is not that old either. Alot of running backs have their most productive years in their late 20's.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Kilroy » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:16 am

Azrael wrote:To be fair to Lewis he is going to have a pretty good O-line now. Browns should get Bentley back and have added Steinbach and Thomas (major upgrades).

2 years ago Droughns rushed for 1,200yds.

Lewis will be atleast a solid flex position player, and if you can get that in the 5th round, that's darn good value. He's disappointed the last 2 years. Now that his value is as low as it has been since he tore his ACL, it's a great year to draft him considering where you can get him.

Heck, even as bad as he was running the ball last year, he still had 1,100yds and 9 TDs. Sorry, 27, 28 is not that old either. Alot of running backs have their most productive years in their late 20's.

Bentley is set to have knee surgery (again) on June 4th and will miss at least another season, if he ever plays again.

:~(

That said, Steinbach and Thomas are significant upgrades, and even without Bentley the Line should be decent in '07. I'd have no problem drafting J-Lew as a RB3, and wouldn't be surprised to see him put up RB2 numbers, especially if Cleveland can get any kind of consistent play from the QB spot.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby dgan » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:38 am

Yeah, don't get me wrong. He'll get enough carries to get solid numbers and could be a serviceable #2 and an even better guy to bring off your bench in favorable matchups. But this thread began with "Big numbers" which, depending on your definition I guess, I am not buying at all.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk