Jamal Lewis - in best shape in 2 years - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jamal Lewis - in best shape in 2 years

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby TDxpressh » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:18 pm

been noticing that as well late fourth early fifth!!! good point i was going off last week mocks bye the way last one i did would of been week ago today, did a few today and noticed the rise. I have had him consistantly in 6th so If you mock with those you trust its better. just an opinion there as i mock way to much myself and can turn in a bad one on experiment now and then. helpfull hint. get as many in your league as you can to mock, or at least those you know u can trust to be objective....
Never say Die!
TDxpressh
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dgan » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:30 pm

TDxpressh wrote:been noticing that as well late fourth early fifth!!! good point i was going off last week mocks bye the way last one i did would of been week ago today, did a few today and noticed the rise. I have had him consistantly in 6th so If you mock with those you trust its better. just an opinion there as i mock way to much myself and can turn in a bad one on experiment now and then. helpfull hint. get as many in your league as you can to mock, or at least those you know u can trust to be objective....

I would never mock with my fellow owners and tip my hand.... :-?

And I don't know why you're saying you can get a good #2 RB later on (by drafting Jamal) when you're saying he's going to be your third RB. That would make him your #3 RB, if I'm not mistaken. I think most would be satisfied with Jamal as their #3 because you know he is a bonefied starter who will get touches every week. But that doesn't mean you want to start him every week, which is what you generally would like to get from your #2.

Maybe that's just semantics, but your logic is terribly confusing...
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby TDxpressh » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:51 pm

he would be a 3 literaly but value 2 mcfly
Never say Die!
TDxpressh
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Writer

Postby houstonherdfan » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:03 pm

dgan wrote:Remember when he had nothing better to do in jail but work out and be in the best shape of his life? How'd that work out?

Has been, unfortunately. He'll be a carry machine, but anything better than 4 ypc will be considered a success.

Maybe so but with 300+ carries that turns into 1200+ yards and maybe 8-10 TD's isn't that #2 RB numbers? 170+ ff Points (10/6)
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Re: Jamal Lewis - in best shape in 2 years

Postby dgan » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:13 pm

stomperrob wrote:ready to put up some big numbers in the Browns' offense:

This is how the thread started. This is the statement I'm arguing against. I have never said he didn't have value or that he won't put up RB2 numbers. Don't misconstrue what I'm saying. All I'm saying is that him being in the best shape of his life doesn't mean he's going to be fantasy juggernaut in the Browns offense.

Last year I drafted 2 RBs that I thought had top 10 capability...one in the 2nd round and one in the 3rd. Just because you think he'll put up RB2 numbers doesn't mean you want to draft him as your second RB. I think everyone you draft, you draft because you think he'll do better than where you drafted him. Almost everyone thinks their RB3 will be good enough to be an RB2...that's why they drafted them.

What you think someone will do or could do or might do doesn't directly determine their draft value. That's all I'm saying.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby houstonherdfan » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:49 pm

dgan wrote:
TDxpressh wrote:been noticing that as well late fourth early fifth!!! good point i was going off last week mocks bye the way last one i did would of been week ago today, did a few today and noticed the rise. I have had him consistantly in 6th so If you mock with those you trust its better. just an opinion there as i mock way to much myself and can turn in a bad one on experiment now and then. helpfull hint. get as many in your league as you can to mock, or at least those you know u can trust to be objective....

Or you could mock with your fellow owners and do the opposite to make them think you are goin to do one thing but actually are going to do something else.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby dgan » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:57 pm

houstonherdfan wrote:
dgan wrote:

Or you could mock with your fellow owners and do the opposite to make them think you are goin to do one thing but actually are going to do something else.

Right...but doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the mock? When you know no one is doing what they would actually do, how much valuable information are you getting from the mock?

I would just rather mock with people outside my league so that none of us are worried about stolen or inside information. It only takes a handful of mocks to weed out the abnormalities and have a pretty good idea about what is going to happen.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Re: Jamal Lewis - in best shape in 2 years

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:52 am

From today's paper:

Lewis savoring fresh approach

Wednesday, June 13, 2007
Tony GrossiPlain Dealer Reporter

The first thing that strikes you about Jamal Lewis is his height.

This football giant who tormented the Browns for 500 yards rushing in two games in 2003 is a couple of inches shy of 6 feet tall.

But as Lewis approaches, two features captivate you. His arms are like overstuffed pythons dangling from his upper body. His calves are the size of melons.

"The [expletive] will run over you," Jim Brown said with a chuckle after the first practice at Browns minicamp on Tuesday. "Got good speed. Knocks people down. He's what you call a horse."

Indeed, Lewis was the workhorse of the Baltimore Ravens for six seasons. He rushed for 7,801 yards and 45 touchdowns, won an NFL rushing cham pionship and a Super Bowl ring.

Here, the question is whether he has enough gas in his tank to lead Baltimore's division rival out of the wilderness. No player on the Browns is being counted on more heavily in the coming season than Lewis. There is no Plan B if Lewis blows a tire over the long 2007 season.

"I don't wonder if he has the gas. I'm counting on it," new offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski said in an interview last month.

Lewis does not bristle at questions about his durability or speed. He is eager to prove the doubters wrong on the field.

"That doesn't fuel me," he said. "I know what I have to do. I know what I'm capable of. I'm still young [he'll be 28 on Aug. 26]. I still have a lot of energy.

"Over the years, you have backs like Warrick Dunn and Curtis Martin . . . a lot of guys over 30, 32, that had over 1,000-yard seasons. I think organizations, when they do have a back pushing 30, they kind of weigh them down and just shorten the carries. I have a lot in the tank. I'm still young and ready to roll."

Lewis rushed for 1,132 yards his last season in Baltimore, and it was considered a bad year. He played most of the year shot up on Novocain, he said, to dull the pain of bone spurs in an ankle.

"I didn't have full range of motion in my ankle, so if there was a cut I needed to make, I couldn't make it," he said. "There were a lot of things I couldn't do."

Lewis was always more than a power back. He had the cutback ability to make defenders miss in the open field and turn 10-yard gains into longer romps.

He believes that part of his game will return after off-season ankle surgery. He said he is more than 80 percent recovered and expects to be completely healed by the start of training camp next month.

"He still has that cutting ability to plant quickly and get through a hole," coach Romeo Crennel said. "He's going to be a strong runner, hard to tackle. He's kind of compact, well built and he has enough power to run through arm tackles. I think that he'll be interesting once we get the pads on."

Lewis' ankle cleanup is one source of optimism for his first season in Cleveland. Perhaps a larger one is a change of scenery from the purple haze of the Ravens.

"I needed a breath of fresh air, a new look, a fresh start," he said.

Lewis soured on the Ravens because he sensed they wanted to throw the ball more and cut down on his carries. He did not see a commitment to the running game reflected in any new investment in the offensive line.

"Those years in Baltimore we never made improvements in the offensive line," he said. "And to have a power running game like we had, I just didn't see how you didn't.

"When I came here and Phil Savage said he was making improvements in the offensive line, the actions spoke louder than words and that's when I said this is where I want to be. No, I wasn't surprised to see them draft Joe Thomas."

What has surprised Lewis was the amount of young talent he has seen on his new team.

"There's a lot," he said.

And he likes what he's seen of the offense being installed by Chudzinski.

"This offense is way more than what we did in Baltimore," Lewis said. "It's more motion, more pass plays that I'm involved in. It's more versatile -- run, pass, a lot of shifts, a lot of disguise.

"It's not predictable. Defenses are not going to know what we're coming with."

Except when the Browns elect to run. It's going to be Lewis, Lewis and more Lewis. That's the way he likes it. And without another proven runner on hand, that's all they've got.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

mailto:tgrossi@plaind.com, 216-999-4670

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Previous

Return to Football Talk