Check Your Internet Connection - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Check Your Internet Connection

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:42 am

In my mind, the real question is:

How much money did the tax payers spend arresting and convicting a guy of malicious e-mail checking?

My guess is that the guy was an a**hole to the police. I can see no other reason why this would have even become an issue... I mean it wasn't even the coffee shoppe owner who complained... They were there to check the guy out for stalking because of a call from another business owner...

This is an awesome use of tax dollars if I ever saw one...

:-t
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:01 am

knapplc wrote:
danielrp wrote:
treat24 wrote:so if someone leaves their car unlocked and running it's ok to steal?

good to know...

It may be funny to have things happen to stupid people, doesn't make it legal...

Not saying it is OK to steal. What I was saying is that if something does get stolen, it is their fault.

But in this story it's impractical for the coffee shop to have a secure connection because they'd have to give that passcode out to their customers anyway, so to get it all I'd need to do would be to buy one cup of coffee and then I'd have it for future use. It's just a bother to go through that, so why not just leave it unprotected?

In the case of the car, absolutely if I leave my keys in my car unlocked then it's my fault for being a nitwit. But that doesn't absolve the thief from wrongdoing, too.

In the same way, if the WiFi connection is unprotected then to some degree that's a risk the coffee shop is undertaking, but at the same time that does not absolve the person who chooses to knowingly steal the bandwidth.

If it's not yours, if it's something you would normally have to pay for to use/have and you get it by not paying for it, that's stealing.

Here's the legal argument... Did the coffee shoppe have a notice, clearly visible from outside the the establishment, stating that the WiFi access was for paying customers only?

If they did not make that clear by posting it somewhere, I think the access is up for grabs...

Here's the analogy, as I see it...

If I sneak into a movie theater to watch a movie, I have stolen something... However, if the owner of an establishment decided to put a big-ass screen on the side of their building and broadcast a movie, am I also guilty of stealing if I happen to walk by and look at it? I don't think so... When it comes to things involving transmissions, air waves, etc. the responsibility is on the owner to make sure they are fairly compensated. If they make every effort to achieve compensation, but someone goes out of their way to thwart the system, then I can see a theft having occurred. But if you just "put it out there" like this company did, you cannot reasonably expect the general public to just assume you are expecting compensation.

Now, if a sign was posted, that might be different... MIGHT BE...
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:11 am

moonhead wrote:it's not his fault, how was he to know that it wasn't just free internet?

8-o

Hey uh.....someone pass me some free internet ;-7 , or tell me where that natural phenomena is that no one pays for and everyone can use. I'm sure tired of actually paying a bill for what I use, and I feel real silly now after finding out that it's free out there somewhere and we're all welcome to use it! 8-o

Come on Moon ;-) . Free internet? Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that someone's paying the bill for that, and using it without permission is wrong. Glad to see the guy is now aware of that fact, as are a ton of people who didn't already know it. ;-D

Oh, and here's a link and an interesting piece of the article:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,276720,00.html

He could try to fight the felony charge and face a sentence of up to 5 years in jail or a $10,000 fine; or he could enroll in the diversion program, which would require paying a $400 fine, doing 40 hours of community service and staying on probation for six months.

A FELONY with either 5 years in jail or a $10,000 fine. They are not playing games, and if the guy was a jerk, he would have been hit with that, so I have no doubt this guy was polite and nice to the officer(s).

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dream_017 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:16 am

Madison wrote:
moonhead wrote:it's not his fault, how was he to know that it wasn't just free internet?

8-o

Hey uh.....someone pass me some free internet ;-7 , or tell me where that natural phenomena is that no one pays for and everyone can use. I'm sure tired of actually paying a bill for what I use, and I feel real silly now after finding out that it's free out there somewhere and we're all welcome to use it! 8-o

Come on Moon ;-) . Free internet? Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that someone's paying the bill for that, and using it without permission is wrong. Glad to see the guy is now aware of that fact, as are a ton of people who didn't already know it. ;-D

He could try to fight the felony charge and face a sentence of up to 5 years in jail or a $10,000 fine; or he could enroll in the diversion program, which would require paying a $400 fine, doing 40 hours of community service and staying on probation for six months.

A FELONY with either 5 years in jail or a $10,000 fine. They are not playing games, and if the guy was a jerk, he would have been hit with that, so I have no doubt this guy was polite and nice to the officer(s).

Actually there are cities all over the country that are giving away free wifi

About 175 U.S. cities or regions have citywide or partial systems, and a similar number plan them, according to Esme Vos, founder of MuniWireless.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby moonhead » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:22 am

dream_017 wrote:
Madison wrote:

8-o

About 175 U.S. cities or regions have citywide or partial systems, and a similar number plan them, according to Esme Vos, founder of MuniWireless.

exactly. many major areas. i know for a fact the entire city of san francisco is wired.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Metroid » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:28 am

moonhead wrote:exactly. many major areas. i know for a fact the entire city of san francisco is wired.

San Francisco has been "wired" for years now...or is that LA? :-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:41 am

So those cities that are wired are giving it away for free. Good for them.

The coffee shop is not. The WiFi is NOT free. The cost of using it is covered by the coffee you purchase. If you purchase coffee you get free WiFi. If you don't purchase coffee it's not for you.

I know a lot of people WANT this stuff to be free. Just because you WANT it to be free does not mean it is free.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:52 am

moonhead wrote:
dream_017 wrote:
Madison wrote:

8-o

exactly. many major areas. i know for a fact the entire city of san francisco is wired.

Wow. I hadn't heard so much as a whisper of such a thing. My apologies Moon. ;-D

Looks like it's not as crazy as I thought. :-o Doh! !+)

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:33 pm

Madison wrote:
moonhead wrote:
dream_017 wrote:
Madison wrote:

8-o

Wow. I hadn't heard so much as a whisper of such a thing. My apologies Moon. ;-D

Looks like it's not as crazy as I thought. :-o Doh! !+)

taxes :-[
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk