RB sophmore slump - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

RB sophmore slump

Moderator: Football Moderators

RB sophmore slump

Postby northcuttfan » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:41 pm

WHo will be this years sophmores and will they do good and will last years slumps turn better outings this year? and possibly evening exmaples from past seasons
northcuttfan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:44 pm

The obvious answer is Jones-Drew...

The other two big-time rookies from last year - Bush and Addai - should both continue to improve...
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:14 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:The obvious answer is Jones-Drew...

The other two big-time rookies from last year - Bush and Addai - should both continue to improve...

;-D

for sure...

MJD can't possibly go up from 8th or whatever IMO...

I think Bush and Addai will do better...

completely agree here ;-D
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Verdun Barbarians » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:21 pm

I'd add Maroney to that list. He will be the main back in an offense that seems to be willing to open up this year. Defenses will have to respect the pass on every down the the receiving corps the Pats assembled, which should keep safeties (and even linebackers) outside the box and free up running lanes!

I also agree that MJD has set the bar a little too high to repeat this year. Fred Taylor seems to be as healthy as ever (which is relative...) and Greg Jones will be back to steal at least some goal line carries in this possibly-horrible-for-fantasy-owners platoon.
Verdun Barbarians
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby PMoneyTKE » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:48 pm

Verdun Barbarians wrote:

I'd add Maroney to that list. He will be the main back in an offense that seems to be willing to open up this year. Defenses will have to respect the pass on every down the the receiving corps the Pats assembled, which should keep safeties (and even linebackers) outside the box and free up running lanes!

I also agree that MJD has set the bar a little too high to repeat this year. Fred Taylor seems to be as healthy as ever (which is relative...) and Greg Jones will be back to steal at least some goal line carries in this possibly-horrible-for-fantasy-owners platoon.

The only thing that concerns me with Maroney is injury, he seemed pretty banged up by the end of last year and even missed some games.
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:51 pm

PMoneyTKE wrote:
Verdun Barbarians wrote:

The only thing that concerns me with Maroney is injury, he seemed pretty banged up by the end of last year and even missed some games.

even in college here in Minny he got banged up a lot, and he was in a RBBC with Barber III for a couple years, and then Russell in his senior year... so yeah, that is a concern... but he should do better than MJD even if he gets hurt :-b
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby sublimeandy » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:02 pm

i think the only reason MJD will be dissapointing is because he probably won't score double digit touch downs again. how often does anyone do that their first year? i think there will be no decline in his abilities and he could very well repeat.
sublimeandy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby maddog60 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:56 pm

sublimeandy wrote:i think the only reason MJD will be dissapointing is because he probably won't score double digit touch downs again. how often does anyone do that their first year? i think there will be no decline in his abilities and he could very well repeat.

Exactly, MJD was top 10 his rookie year. He could make a good #2 RB and still be disappointing. I don't know why everyone is so down on the guy with blazing speed, moves to boot, and managed top 10 numbers in a RBBC when his only competition is an oft injured FB-RB hybrid and the man named Fragile Freddy, who is likely in the twilight of his career now.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Humpback » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:44 pm

IMO, it depends on what you mean by "slump". Chances are, his stats are going to decrease, only because he did so well this year and now they have G. Jones coming back. He lead the league for RBs with more than 100 carries in ypc., so that's probably going to go down a tad. His TDs may very well go down as well, but that would be more due to Jax giving G. Jones some goal line work then it would him "slumping". So, from a FF perspective, he may very well decrease (if you want to call that slump), but I don't think it will be due to him performing poorly.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby mrblitz » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:31 am

I actually believe that MJD and Maroney are both going to have stellar seasons. I know I'm targeting both in my drafts.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk