RB sophmore slump - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

RB sophmore slump

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby aaawall91 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:40 am

MJD competing with Fred Taylor, Greg Jones, and LeBrandon Toefield? Thats not something I want to get into...
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sublimeandy » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:21 pm

i don't understand why people think that the jags are going to give touches to inferior rb's. it's clear that MJD is a special rb, fred taylor has also proven himself. those two are going to get the majority of the carries. anything that g, jones gets in comparison will be trivial. he's injury prone and just flat out not as good a rb as MJD. MJD will probably end up being a steal wherever he goes in most drafts. toefield??? give me a break.
sublimeandy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby aaawall91 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:49 pm

sportsline.com wrote:In an upcoming exclusive interview with CBS SportsLine, Jaguars RB Maurice Jones-Drew felt that the running back system currently in place in Jacksonville would expand, not shrink, in 2007. Jones-Drew not only expects to work with Fred Taylor again, but also with RB/FB Greg Jones, who missed all of 2006 with a torn ACL. "None of us are selfish, no one is going to say they want the ball," Jones-Drew said. "Different situations are going to call for different people. With all three of us back, it's going to be tough for teams to stop us. Now everyone is going to want a three-back system because they're going to see we're going to have more rushing yards next year. It's going to be good. I think we'll be all right."
(Updated 02/06/2007).

sportsline.com' wrote:The Florida Times-Union reports the Jaguars have re-signed RB LaBrandon Toefield to a one-year deal worth $800,000. Toefield is expected to back up Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew in '07.
(Updated 03/30/2007).

And the bit from last year...just to look back
ESPN.com wrote:Greg Jones, the primary backup for oft-injured starter Fred Taylor, tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee Saturday and will have season-ending surgery.

Not sure if an injury like that makes him injury prone? :-? But his first two seasons he only missed 2 games, and those were consecutive. It was a Neck Injury, and by now he has had plently of time to get it fully healed, maybe stronger than it used to be. He then came back and got 15 yards on 2 attempts in the Wildcard game, which is nothing impressive but not bad for only 2 carries.

Also, you might find his wikipedia page funny Found Here *Some Adult Language*
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mattb47 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:54 pm

sublimeandy wrote:i don't understand why people think that the jags are going to give touches to inferior rb's. it's clear that MJD is a special rb, fred taylor has also proven himself. those two are going to get the majority of the carries. anything that g, jones gets in comparison will be trivial. he's injury prone and just flat out not as good a rb as MJD. MJD will probably end up being a steal wherever he goes in most drafts. toefield??? give me a break.

Along with the things that aaawall91 posted, consider that the Jags were pretty high on Greg Jones before the start of last season. If you remember back there were reports that Greg Jones was very close to surpassing Fred Taylor on the depth chart because of his strong play....they're not just going to forget about him because he had an injury last year. He's still going to be a big part of that offense and I don't think any of these guys are going to be consistent fantasy producing backs on a weekly basis....just not enough production to go around.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:17 pm

Heres a little more from the Jag's website about Greg Jones.

Strong, tough back who can be utilized both as a running back and a fullback … Possesses good quickness and has the ability to pick up tough yards in short-yardage situations … Filled in for an injured Fred Taylor and rushed for a career-high 575 yards and four touchdowns on 151 carries in 2005 … Posted two 100-yard rushing games against Cincinnati and Baltimore … Already ranks sixth in team history with 737 career rushing yards in two seasons … Finished rookie season ranked third on the team in rushing with 62 carries for 162 yards and three touchdowns … Third-highest drafted running back by Jacksonville (55th overall) behind Fred Taylor and James Stewart, both first round picks … Selected with choice obtained from Green Bay in exchange for third and fourth round picks …

Check his prospect profile when he was entering the draft Here

And once again let me direct you to his wikipedia page that I linked to in my last post.

But I think that if Greg Jones shows he can cut and perform well enough on that knee, that Fred Taylor might get cut.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Felix the Cat » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:34 pm

No way that Taylor will be released or traded. He's still running well, he and MJD complement each other (MJD for inside work and Taylor for running off the tackles), and from everything I've seen reported it appears that both Taylor and the Jaguars front office intend for him to finish his career here.

I could see G.Jones spelling both MJD and Taylor and providing a secondary change of pace - he's proportioned like MJD and runs a lot like him, except that he's five inches taller. More importantly, the return of G.Jones allows the Jags to open up the backfield more with dual threats - think the I formation with MJD or Taylor at tailback and G.Jones at fullback; whoever the tailback is will always be a threat to run any sort of route, and Jones can block or is a legitimate threat to run up the middle.

Hopefully the passing game can command more respect, with the return of the tall guys (Matt Jones is 6-6, Reggie Williams and Ernest Wilford are 6-4), Marcedes Lewis back from injury at tight end, and some speedier wideouts added through the draft and free agency (rookies John Broussard and Mike Walker, FA acquisition Dennis Northcutt) to provide a threat at slot. If the passing game clicks, then defenses won't be able to stack the box and the run game will be able to open up even more.

LaBrandon Toefield is just a backup RB/special teamer. He's also a good receiver out of the backfield, but I doubt he'll see much playing time unless one of the starting rotation is injured.
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby aaawall91 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:53 pm

You think MJD and Greg Jones run simarly? From what I understand GJ is a much better inside runner but can run outside very well as well. I haven't heard or really seen anything of MJD's inside running abilities but I know he runs outside well.

MJD's Prospect Profile

Jaguars.com-January 24th wrote:Greg Jones, recovering from a torn ACL, believes he'll participate in some spring practices and be ready for training camp next season.
Jones took a while to recover from his last torn ACL, but had to recover from a torn PCL and MCL as well in 2002. Before he got hurt, Jones was challenging Fred Taylor for a starting job. Now that Maurice Jones-Drew has emerged, Jones is likely to be a role player. If Jones looks healthy, perhaps the Jaguars could let go of Taylor.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mattb47 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:02 pm

aaawall91 wrote:You think MJD and Greg Jones run simarly? From what I understand GJ is a much better inside runner but can run outside very well as well. I haven't heard or really seen anything of MJD's inside running abilities but I know he runs outside well.

MJD's Prospect Profile

Jaguars.com-January 24th wrote:Greg Jones, recovering from a torn ACL, believes he'll participate in some spring practices and be ready for training camp next season.
Jones took a while to recover from his last torn ACL, but had to recover from a torn PCL and MCL as well in 2002. Before he got hurt, Jones was challenging Fred Taylor for a starting job. Now that Maurice Jones-Drew has emerged, Jones is likely to be a role player. If Jones looks healthy, perhaps the Jaguars could let go of Taylor.

I wouldn't pay much attention to something like that in an article. That looks to me more like a writer speculating than anything else....I don't think there's any way in the world the Jags release Taylor before this season starts.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Tsizzle » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:39 pm

mattb47 wrote: Also, you might find his wikipedia page funny Found Here *Some Adult Language*

like the article....apparantly hes got a pretty strong one... :-b
[img]RIPsean[/img]
Tsizzle
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby northcuttfan » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:48 pm

of course dont forget northcutts playin slot this year which means double coverage so it will free up the box...thank God for northcutt huh? :-D ;-D
northcuttfan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk