Goodell institutes alcohol ban - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Goodell institutes alcohol ban

Moderator: Football Moderators

Goodell institutes alcohol ban

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:55 pm

Teams told no alcohol

NEW YORK · NFL clubs may no longer serve alcohol at team functions or on buses or flights, extending a ban that until now applied only in locker rooms.

NFL owners and executives were told by Commissioner Roger Goodell that the rule pertains not only to players but to owners, coaches and guests.

"I believe that no constructive purpose is served by clubs continuing to make alcoholic beverages available, and that doing so imposes significant and unnecessary risks to the league, its players and others," Goodell wrote to all 32 teams in a letter obtained by The Associated Press.

Goodell's letter is in keeping with his policy of setting strict standards for behavior by players, coaches and officials after a year of numerous arrests, many of them for alcohol-related offenses.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:02 pm

Another one of those "toe the line" issues...it's good for the league and teams so that players don't get into trouble with the law or other people (or the media ;-7). Funny that it would be expanded to the corporate level also, though.

I don't drink so it's not a big deal to me, but others might find this a little over the top.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BlueBandit24 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:05 pm

I think drinking would be the only thing that kept me sane knowing my contract wasn't guaranteed. I like what Goodell has done since he has taken over, but this seems a little extreme IMO, but I can't say it's a bad move either.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:13 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:I think drinking would be the only thing that kept me sane knowing my contract wasn't guaranteed. I like what Goodell has done since he has taken over, but this seems a little extreme IMO, but I can't say it's a bad move either.

;-D

this is a slight step too far IMO... i'm sure for each idiot who messes up and drinks stupidly there are 100's of NFL players that just like to relax with a cold beer that are pissed... I guess sometimes it only takes a bad egg or two to ruin it for everyone though. We have rules at my work that were instituted because of one guy. It sucks, but hey... they're gonna have to deal i guess.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Verdun Barbarians » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:29 pm

Aren't fottball players supposed to be adults? Prohibition didn't work in the past century, so I can't understand why they bring back an idea like this one... Someone will find ways to sneek some booze in :-b

The players should be responsible of their acts, not be treated like children... :-t
Verdun Barbarians
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby aaawall91 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:37 pm

How long till we see some NFL Flappers?
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby Munboy » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:37 pm

Verdun Barbarians wrote:Aren't fottball players supposed to be adults? Prohibition didn't work in the past century, so I can't understand why they bring back an idea like this one... Someone will find ways to sneek some booze in :-b

The players should be responsible of their acts, not be treated like children... :-t

Maybe when they stop acting like children....

Personally, I dont see anything wrong with this. Most companys don't let you drink when you're on the clock or even on company grounds. Its no difference here. Players and personel are more than welcome to hammer themselves stupid when not on the clock or on property. Its not like Goodell has instituted alcohol testing.
Last edited by Munboy on Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Azrael » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:59 pm

That reminds me. I need to go grab another Blue Moon Summer Ale.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:05 pm

Verdun Barbarians wrote:Aren't fottball players supposed to be adults? Prohibition didn't work in the past century, so I can't understand why they bring back an idea like this one... Someone will find ways to sneek some booze in :-b

Very few employers let you drink at work functions - save maybe the Christmas Party...

Why should the NFL be an exception? I mean the only difference I see is the fact that these guys are getting paid millions and acting like children...

Good move, IMO! ;-D
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:46 pm

if i want a drink on a flight, i should be able to have a drink on a flight. regardless if that flight is a business trip or not. i don't agree with this.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Next

Return to Football Talk