School counselor accidentally gets $2.5 million check... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

School counselor accidentally gets $2.5 million check...

Moderator: Football Moderators

School counselor accidentally gets $2.5 million check...

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:28 pm

...and spends it (well, some of it)!!!

$2.5M Check Wrongly Sent to Counselor

May 30, 5:15 PM (ET)

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - An errant computer keystroke led the state to accidentally issue a $2.5 million check to a school counselor - who spent thousands on cars, jewelry and electronics, prosecutors said.

Sabrina Walker, 37, was charged Tuesday with theft by swindle and concealing the proceeds of a crime. She remained in jail Wednesday in lieu of $200,000 bail.

The state's accounting system was handling money for the Department of Human Services that was intended for the Hennepin County Medical Center when the check was issued to Walker by mistake in March.

Walker was in the state's system because she was once paid $84 as a court witness. Investigators found that Walker's vendor number in the state system was only one number off the hospital's nine-digit number.

Walker, along with a man she lived with, allegedly bought a $500,000 certificate of deposit, funded two retirement accounts, bought a $500,000 Treasury bond, spent $5,500 on jewelry, $3,817 at Best Buy and $2,069 on limousine services, according to the criminal complaint.

Walker also allegedly bought two cars, called the state to report the check, then bought two more cars, prosecutors said.

She has been placed on leave until the case is resolved.

Her criminal attorney, Mark Larsen, said there was more to the story than just the criminal complaint submitted by prosecutors. The complaint "fails to recite all the pertinent facts," he said.

"This is a far cry from an individual who is turning her back on what has happened here," he said.

The Department of Human Services obtained a judge's order freezing Walker's bank account. The agency said Wednesday it was working into improve internal controls on manual payments.

There - see, not all my stories are sad ones! :-b
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moonhead » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:59 pm

what an idiot.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:40 am

Walker also allegedly bought two cars, called the state to report the check, then bought two more cars, prosecutors said.

Is this sentence only odd to me??
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moonhead » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:40 am

Lofunzo wrote:

no. that's why i said what i said.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Jimboozie » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:00 am

So she took her 2.5 M check and deposited it into her bank account? And the bank didn't verify that is was legit? :-?
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:44 am

Lofunzo wrote:

Seemed odd to me as well :-°

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby SeaWolf » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:45 am

Jimboozie wrote:So she took her 2.5 M check and deposited it into her bank account? And the bank didn't verify that is was legit? :-?

I deposit a 2k check and it's on hold for a week. :-?
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to General Talk