Police Drummer Critical of Concert - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Police Drummer Critical of Concert

Moderator: Football Moderators

Police Drummer Critical of Concert

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:15 pm

I'm seeing these guys in two weeks. Hopefully, the show will be a lot better than their opening gig. :-o

Police drummer rips band's "lame" concert

06/01/2007 2:00 AM, Reuters
Dean Goodman

The singer in the Police jumps like a "petulant pansy," the drummer is making a "complete hash," and who knows what the guitarist is doing?

Notes from a bitter critic? Actually, it's a disarmingly frank concert review from the aforementioned drummer of the newly reunited rock trio.

A philosophical Stewart Copeland unleashed his vitriol in a posting on his Web site on Thursday, a day after the band played its second show in Vancouver, the Canadian city where it began its first world tour in more than 20 years on Monday.

"This is unbelievably lame," Copeland wrote of Wednesday's show at the GM Place arena. "We are the mighty Police and we are totally at sea."

Most of the 20,000 fans at the venue might not have noticed a series of small flubs, but Copeland, singer/bassist Sting, and guitarist were painfully aware of them.

Copeland started the show off on the wrong foot, literally. He tripped as he took to the stage, and then banged his gong at the wrong time so that "the big pompous opening to the show is a damp squib."

He did not hear Summers' opening riff to "Message In a Bottle," and Sting in turn misheard Copeland's drum intro -- "so we are half a bar out of sync with each other. Andy is in Idaho."

They quickly recovered, but then Sting got his footwork wrong as he leapt into the air to signal the end to a shambolic version of their rat-race rant "Synchronicity II."

"The mighty Sting momentarily looks like a petulant pansy instead of the god of rock," Copeland reported.

"And so it goes, for song after song," he wrote, with tunes such as "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" and "Don't Stand So Close To Me" reduced to ruin.

"It usually takes about four or five shows in a tour before you get to the disaster gig. But we're The Police so we are a little ahead of schedule," he said.

Fortunately, no fists flew backstage as they did back in the Police's heyday. The threesome fell into each other's arms laughing hysterically, Copeland said.

"Screw it, it's only music. What are you gonna do? But maybe it's time to get out of Vancouver."

The band's next show is set for Saturday in Edmonton.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moonhead » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:17 pm

much respect for stu.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Metroid » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:39 pm

Dood they 12 days to get solid.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:03 pm

Metroid wrote:Dood they 12 days to get solid.

Hopefully, by the time they hit San Jose, they'll be on top of things. I paid over $100 for that ticket, so they best get it right! }:-)
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:12 pm

They better be ready by November, I paid $75 and I don't take kindly to disappointment.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:31 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
Metroid wrote:Dood they 12 days to get solid.

Hopefully, by the time they hit San Jose, they'll be on top of things. I paid over $100 for that ticket, so they best get it right! }:-)

Yup me too.

CC wrote:They better be ready by November, I paid $75 and I don't take kindly to disappointment.

And me too. :-#
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:26 pm

CC wrote:They better be ready by November, I paid $75 and I don't take kindly to disappointment.

What?!?! How did you get those. I've got the worst seats in the house and they cost me $175 each :-° Seeing them in July. I'm really not expecting much but I've got to see them.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moonhead » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:08 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:

What?!?! How did you get those. I've got the worst seats in the house and they cost me $175 each :-° Seeing them in July. I'm really not expecting much but I've got to see them.

canadian dollars :-/
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:42 am

You are a Michigan fan. You should be used to disappointment by now.
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CC » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:37 am

My buddy got them, they are upper deck right in front of the stage. We got ours at the actual sale not off of stubhub or anything so that could account for the cheaper price.

And Lo I would come up with a snappy comeback if I knew which college team you liked. ;-)
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk