TO to get Bonus... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

TO to get Bonus...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby smackthefirst » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:22 pm

TO is a good fantasy player and that's all that matters to me. Yes, he is a jerk off the field (and sometimes on), but when he plays, he produces. And normally he plays through his injuries and still produces. Aside from 2005, when he only played 7 games, he has played in no less than 14 games since 2000.

Yes he is getting older, and eventually a decline will begin; but until it begins, I can't see not wanting TO on your team. Sure it's a headache, but that headache will let you grab him a few spots later than he should go hopefully.

Case in point is in a PPR. I don't see how you can overlook his high level of consistency.

2000 - Number 1 WR
2001 - Number 2 WR
2002 - Number 3 WR
2003 - Number 11 WR (last year in SF)
2004 - Number 5 WR
2005 - Number 2 WR (if he had played 14 instead of 7 games)
2006 - Number 3 WR

And right now in 12 team mocks, TO is going around pick 20 as the 4th WR off the board. I for one would take him there with no issues whatsoever.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mattb47 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:27 pm

smackthefirst wrote:TO is a good fantasy player and that's all that matters to me. Yes, he is a jerk off the field (and sometimes on), but when he plays, he produces. And normally he plays through his injuries and still produces. Aside from 2005, when he only played 7 games, he has played in no less than 14 games since 2000.

Yes he is getting older, and eventually a decline will begin; but until it begins, I can't see not wanting TO on your team. Sure it's a headache, but that headache will let you grab him a few spots later than he should go hopefully.

Case in point is in a PPR. I don't see how you can overlook his high level of consistency.

2000 - Number 1 WR
2001 - Number 2 WR
2002 - Number 3 WR
2003 - Number 11 WR (last year in SF)
2004 - Number 5 WR
2005 - Number 2 WR (if he had played 14 instead of 7 games)
2006 - Number 3 WR

And right now in 12 team mocks, TO is going around pick 20 as the 4th WR off the board. I for one would take him there with no issues whatsoever.

Well, you can say that he does try to play through injuries and while that is a good thing....the fact is that he's getting injured more and more as his career is moving on and it's taking him longer and longer to recover from them. Even a guy who takes as good care of his body as TO breaks down with age and this guy is starting to break down I think. I would not be surprised if he got hurt again this season and it having an impact on his performance in a negative way.

Why take a guy like TO highly when he carries with him a reasonably high risk of injury and him always having a risk of melting down when you can take another WR who is certainly in the same tier without all that worry? That's the big thing to me....why entertain that risk that he wont be there come the end of the season when you can take a guy who has SO many fewer questions surrounding him?
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:15 pm

Marlo Stanfield wrote:Did he get suspended are did the goofballs in Philly just kick him off the team? Donvan McNabb didnt like him so he pulled the cry baby card and got him booted, mistake.

Finding ignorance to be bliss are we? Try finding out what actually happened into instead of spewing bogus garbage.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:26 am

Marlo Stanfield wrote:So would anyone on here dislike having TO on there squad? If so you are welcome to join my leagues this year. Not sure what kind of league you could possiably be in where TO isnt starting ever game. Who would you start of TO?

Only at the right price - wouldn't over-reach for him (and it's "their", not "there" - and that's the third time you've said"ever" instead of "every"). There's a lot of other good WR's out there too!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:04 am

Alright, I let this thing drag on for a while, and I now I feel the need to chime in.

First of all, each of the Iggles fans can take their Pepto Bismol. Nobody's buying the $41t you're putting out about him not being able to perform. You guys got further in the playoffs than the Cowboys. WOOP WOOP! When was the last time you saw an NFC Championship game? I believe that was 2004. Hmm... Owens' last full season with the team. (Psst... the year he only played 7 games for them (2005), the Eagles went 6-10. Last place in the division).

My second point to be made is that the off-the-field conduct he contributes to is not illegal. The players Goodell is going after happen to commit felonies. Last I checked, being an arrogant smartass is perfectly legal. Until Owens is found paying off strippers to hold dog fights in their basement, I don't think fantasy owners have anything to worry about.

Thirdly, Tony Romo has a bigger man crush on Owens that he does Miss Underwood (his rumored girlfriend for those of you out of the entertainment news circle). Watch any game in which Romo started. He fed TO that football more often than a fat kid lifts a spoon.

Stop all the Owens bashing. All this irrational banter about how horrible Owens is has been based on pure speculation and dislike of his character. Fact is, he puts points into any team's fantasy roster... and his receiving his bonus is not news. Let me guess, whoever wrote this also thinks the Red Sox and Yankees are God's gift to sports fans.

Disclaimer: This post was not brought to you by Drew Rosenhaus
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby maddog60 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:14 am

Since you're going to lump all of us together and claim we're all making the same comments when we're not (nice job reading there) I feel obligated to respond.

LoveBoatCaptain wrote:First of all, each of the Iggles fans can take their Pepto Bismol. Nobody's buying the $41t you're putting out about him not being able to perform.

Who has said that? Cmon, give me a name. Not one person I can find in this thread has questioned his ability to put up fantasy points or make plays on the field.

You guys got further in the playoffs than the Cowboys. WOOP WOOP! When was the last time you saw an NFC Championship game? I believe that was 2004.

And we got there 3 previous years with Thrash and Pinkston. We also got there without him during the playoffs. So, lets with TO, we won the divison, a feat accomplished 5 out of 6 years, 4 of those 5 without him. Then we got further than we ever have while he was out.

I'm not saying the Eagles were better off without him at that point (TO was happy and not threatening to disrupt the team), but don't try feeding everyone else this !@#$ like without him they were nothing.

Hmm... Owens' last full season with the team. (Psst... the year he only played 7 games for them (2005), the Eagles went 6-10. Last place in the division).

Donovan McNabb
Lito Sheppard
William Thomas
Brian Westbrook

all finished the year on IR. And those were only the ones that individually were without a doubt more critical to the team. If you want to naively believe its all related to TO just because you don't know the names of the offensive line (half of the starters were on IR by years end) that's your own problem, but its not the truth.

My second point to be made is that the off-the-field conduct he contributes to is not illegal. The players Goodell is going after happen to commit felonies. Last I checked, being an arrogant smartass is perfectly legal. Until Owens is found paying off strippers to hold dog fights in their basement, I don't think fantasy owners have anything to worry about.

While I have and would never put TO in the same class as some of these scum: Randy McMichael, Leonard Little, Michael Pittman, and sadly the list goes on, he has done more than just be an arrogant smartass in the past. He specifically broke his contract. He demanded more money, then threatened to disrupt the team however he could if he didn't get that money. I believe that's called extortion.

Normally, if someone were to try that, they'd get fired. If he pulls anything like that (which was suspension worthy then) under Goodell and his crack down on good behavior, you think there's nothing to be concerned about?

Thirdly, Tony Romo has a bigger man crush on Owens that he does Miss Underwood (his rumored girlfriend for those of you out of the entertainment news circle). Watch any game in which Romo started. He fed TO that football more often than a fat kid lifts a spoon.

Stop all the Owens bashing. All this irrational banter about how horrible Owens is has been based on pure speculation and dislike of his character. Fact is, he puts points into any team's fantasy roster... and his receiving his bonus is not news. Let me guess, whoever wrote this also thinks the Red Sox and Yankees are God's gift to sports fans.

Disclaimer: This post was not brought to you by Drew Rosenhaus

Finally, something that is not just ill-informed nonsense. I totally agree that in fantasy football the only way I wouldn't want TO is if its a dynasty, and even then, that only bumps a handful of people above him. While I think it'd be terrible for the Cowboys to make their offense the TO show when they've got 3 WRs who can make plays, a pass catching TEs, and 2 RBs that make a great combo, it's great for fantasy players who own TO.

I also agree this article was never news worthy. Of course he got his bonus, its essentially his salary. They made it a bonus instead for cap reasons.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Marlo Stanfield » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:48 am

What it boils down to is this site is full of TO haters. I think you can list him him with Harrison,CJ and Holt as the best WR in the league. Everone one is worried about his playing status and injuries, well thats why Im not listing Steve Smith in that catergory.

side note(didnt holt,harrison,owens all come in the same draft class)
Marlo Stanfield
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby PapaPark » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:45 pm

I never said I hated TO. I'm actually a big fan..

but I can't believe people don't view him as a high risk.
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: TO to get Bonus...

Postby Marlo Stanfield » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:43 am

High risk.......I think not, Steve Smith not that is a high risk WR. Donvavan McNabb, again thats one more high risk player, not TO.
Marlo Stanfield
Water Boy
Water Boy

Previous

Return to Football Talk