Guy wakes up after 19 year coma - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Guy wakes up after 19 year coma

Moderator: Football Moderators

Guy wakes up after 19 year coma

Postby treat24 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:10 pm

enters coma under communism, wakes up in a democracy... crazy...

WARSAW, Poland (Reuters) -- A 65-year-old railwayman who fell into a coma following an accident in communist Poland regained consciousness 19 years later to find democracy and a market economy, Polish media reported on Saturday.

Wheelchair-bound Jan Grzebski, whom doctors had given only two or three years to live following his 1988 accident, credited his caring wife Gertruda with his revival.

"It was Gertruda that saved me, and I'll never forget it," Grzebski told news channel TVN24.

"For 19 years Mrs Grzebska did the job of an experienced intensive care team, changing her comatose husband's position every hour to prevent bed-sore infections," Super Express reported Dr Boguslaw Poniatowski as saying.

"When I went into a coma there was only tea and vinegar in the shops, meat was rationed and huge petrol lines were everywhere," Grzebski told TVN24, describing his recollections of the communist system's economic collapse.

"Now I see people on the streets with cell phones and there are so many goods in the shops it makes my head spin."

Grzebski awoke to find his four children had all married and produced 11 grandchildren during his years in hospital.

He said he vaguely recalled the family gatherings he was taken to while in a coma and his wife and children trying to communicate with him.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Re: Guy wakes up after 19 year coma

Postby Popcynical » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:28 pm

treat24 wrote:enters coma under communism, wakes up in a democracy... crazy...

WARSAW, Poland (Reuters) -- A 65-year-old railwayman who fell into a coma following an accident in communist Poland regained consciousness 19 years later to find democracy and a market economy, Polish media reported on Saturday.

Wheelchair-bound Jan Grzebski, whom doctors had given only two or three years to live following his 1988 accident, credited his caring wife Gertruda with his revival.

"It was Gertruda that saved me, and I'll never forget it," Grzebski told news channel TVN24.

"For 19 years Mrs Grzebska did the job of an experienced intensive care team, changing her comatose husband's position every hour to prevent bed-sore infections," Super Express reported Dr Boguslaw Poniatowski as saying.

"When I went into a coma there was only tea and vinegar in the shops, meat was rationed and huge petrol lines were everywhere," Grzebski told TVN24, describing his recollections of the communist system's economic collapse.

"Now I see people on the streets with cell phones and there are so many goods in the shops it makes my head spin."

Grzebski awoke to find his four children had all married and produced 11 grandchildren during his years in hospital.

He said he vaguely recalled the family gatherings he was taken to while in a coma and his wife and children trying to communicate with him.

That part interests me the most. Makes me wonder if communicating with the comatose is actually possible.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:59 pm

Didnt this just happen with a woman a few weeks back too?

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:02 pm

mutantseabass wrote:Didnt this just happen with a woman a few weeks back too?

not sure, let me check my copy... Old People Waking from Comas Quarterly...

sorry, couldn't find it, but maybe... :-b

P.S. LOVE YOUR SIG! ;-D
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:06 pm

treat24 wrote:

P.S. LOVE YOUR SIG! ;-D

I heard it on the radio I believe. I believe she awoke from a coma and then went back into it a few days later from what I remember.

mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:08 pm

mutantseabass wrote:
treat24 wrote:

P.S. LOVE YOUR SIG! ;-D

I heard it on the radio I believe. I believe she awoke from a coma and then went back into it a few days later from what I remember.

heh, cool, i was just joking, i don't keep track of all the coma patient stories... I just thought it must be weird to fall into a coma rationing food and petrol and come out of it in a democracy...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mutantseabass » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:13 pm

treat24 wrote:
mutantseabass wrote:
treat24 wrote:

P.S. LOVE YOUR SIG! ;-D

heh, cool, i was just joking, i don't keep track of all the coma patient stories... I just thought it must be weird to fall into a coma rationing food and petrol and come out of it in a democracy...

I just found it odd that within the last couple of weeks I have seen/heard 2 stories of people coming out of long term comas.

mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:42 am

Popcynical wrote:

That part interests me the most. Makes me wonder if communicating with the comatose is actually possible.

They brought a guy in a coma to family functions??
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:23 am

Lofunzo wrote:
Popcynical wrote:

They brought a guy in a coma to family functions??

Bet he was the life of the party. But he sounds like the kind of guy that might drink too much and embarrass everyone.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Metroid » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:32 am

mutantseabass wrote:
treat24 wrote:

P.S. LOVE YOUR SIG! ;-D

Yeah there was a thread on that lady here.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... wakes+coma
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Next

Return to General Talk