Warrick Dunn: Contender or Dunn - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Warrick Dunn: Contender or Dunn

Moderator: Football Moderators

Warrick Dunn: Contender or Dunn

Postby Tsizzle » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:53 pm

Will warrick be a reasonable pick this year or will norwood take over?
[img]RIPsean[/img]
Tsizzle
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Azrael » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:01 pm

I see this as the same situation that existed in St. Louis 2 years ago. Dunn will get most of the PT but won't be as effective as a younger, more powerful Norwood would be.

I was screaming 2 years ago that Jackson should be playing instead of Faulk and I'm probably going to be doing the same thing this year with Dunn and Norwood.

I hope I'm wrong but I just can't understand why these coaches want to let the older guys play when there's a stud sitting there twiddling his thumbs waiting to get his chance.

Norwood is definitely a big time sleeper though.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby dgan » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:17 pm

Yeah, this situation and the Jacksonville situation are so similar. Older backs who are still productive, but have unbelievably talented rookies that appear to be a star in the making.

I think there is additional risk with Norwood because, not only is he still officially the backup, but there is a new offense and of course Vick's problems...we don't know if this will be the same Atlanta offense that has led the league in rushing basically since Vick got there. My guess is it will be, but you just never know with new coaches.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby aaawall91 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:59 am

Yeah, and another aspect thats food for the thought:

Its the coaches first year, Vicks in troubles, defense isn't the best its ever been. Are they in a win now situation? Or will they be better off 3 years from now with a fresher Norwood? why not use Dunn until hes no longer effective?
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby smackthefirst » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:22 am

Azrael wrote:I see this as the same situation that existed in St. Louis 2 years ago. Dunn will get most of the PT but won't be as effective as a younger, more powerful Norwood would be.

I was screaming 2 years ago that Jackson should be playing instead of Faulk and I'm probably going to be doing the same thing this year with Dunn and Norwood.

I hope I'm wrong but I just can't understand why these coaches want to let the older guys play when there's a stud sitting there twiddling his thumbs waiting to get his chance.

Norwood is definitely a big time sleeper though.

I'm with Azrael here. I think Dunn gets at least one more year as the primary unless A) he gets injured and Norwood doesn't look back or B) Vick gets suspended, the Falcons are out of it, and they give more carries to Norwood either because they are running more as a team or they are trying to evaluate their younger guys.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby mrblitz » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:44 am

I think the Falcons will use Dunn and Norwood in simlar roles this year as last year. I think Warrick still has plenty to offer, and probably next year will be the transition between backs. Giving Norwood the reigns to what's sure to be a very good career.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby shaba » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:52 am

The problem with Dunn is he seldom finds the endzone. He still gets decent yadrdage but that's about all he's good for anymore. I really thought after the Falcons dumped TJ Duckett last season he would be a stellar fantasy player and get the goal line carries as well. I see a similar role of last year w/ Dunn & Norwood with Norwood getting slighlty more reps for this season though..
shaba
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 14)

Postby deacon » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:42 pm

I think Dunn is done. With the new coach there is no 'loyalty' to the old players and Norwood is just flat out more explosive than Dunn.

It is really hard to predict right now because Dunn really hasn't participated in camp because he is recovering from offseason shoulder surgery.

I predict that Dunn will be used as the third down back and mainly to run flare patterns out of the backfield and to support blitz protection packages.
Bacon is the greatest meat of all!
deacon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:43 pm

Dunn still has a lot to offer, but it's Norwood's time. The biggest detriment to any RB who plays in Atlanta is Vick's running ability at QB. He's still prone to stealing potential scores. However, perhaps now that Norwood looks able, they'll give him the rock inside the five instead of option to Vick.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: Warrick Dunn: Contender or Dunn

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:21 am

I think that Dunn still has something left in the tank as an NFL RB, no doubt. And I also think that he can probably still be a solid 200-250 carry RB for a season or two. Do I think that is what will happen this upcoming season? Absolutely not. The undercurrent in Atlanta has dunn transition to the weaker half of a RBBC, mainly focusing on his receiving prowess that Atlanta has somewhat ignored the past several seasons. Think Kevin Faulk in New England with an expanded role in the running game.

Fact is, this is the perfect opportunity for the new Falcon's coaching regime to transition the reigns to a new guy. A guy that absolutely dominated in part time work last season and should be given a chance to prove that he can be the starter: Jerious Norwood. There comes a time and a place where a solid veteran RB needs to take a back seat to the future. Norwood is a guy with a lot of potential who we haven't seen enough of yet and I expect that to change this season.

I'm picking up Norwood in almost every single mock draft I participate in sometime around the 6th or 7th round. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this is one of the cases where you can see that Norwood will be starting on opening day well in advance. In fact I almost positive I have seen some copy where Norwood is already listed as starter and Dunn will be used in a more change of pace. Bottomline, Norwood is the #1 value at RB in drafts right now IMO, and the only guy that is even coming close is Kevin Jones due to the murky injury status.
Last edited by Kensat30 on Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Next

Return to Football Talk