Magazines - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Magazines

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Magazines

Postby Metroid » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:36 pm

Yeah I wouldn't say I "use" fantasy football rags, I mainly get them just for something to read thats fantasy and football related. I just picked up the Fanball one its a pretty entertaining read. ;-)
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jackseven » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:50 pm

dgan wrote:I'm not sure exactly what this discussion turned to or why...but anyway...

I browsed through and I don't think anyone mentioned Fantasy Football Index. The ORIGINAL fantasy rag. I don't always agree with them, of course, but there is so much research and information in there that you are given enough info to draw your own conclusions. I always land myself a copy...I have a 10 year collection, in fact.

And this year they have a picture of Tomlinson on the cover in the Powder Blue Uni!!! That's reason enough right there.

You know Index got killed for their Tatum Bell cover/prediction, but I always appreicated them going out on a limb. No one is always going to be right, but at least they took a stand and said what they thought.

I think it was David Dodds from FBJ that had Reggie Bush rediculously high overall and he didn't get as much backlash after the season as Index has.

Bold predictions = a godo thing as long as they are calculated.
Fantasy Football Magazine Reviews on Rotoworld, Espn, Sporting News, etc . Prediction 1) MJD will be worth a first round pick . Prediction 2) The 49ers will have a winning record.
jackseven
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby dgan » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:51 am

jackseven wrote:
dgan wrote:I'm not sure exactly what this discussion turned to or why...but anyway...

I browsed through and I don't think anyone mentioned Fantasy Football Index. The ORIGINAL fantasy rag. I don't always agree with them, of course, but there is so much research and information in there that you are given enough info to draw your own conclusions. I always land myself a copy...I have a 10 year collection, in fact.

And this year they have a picture of Tomlinson on the cover in the Powder Blue Uni!!! That's reason enough right there.

You know Index got killed for their Tatum Bell cover/prediction, but I always appreicated them going out on a limb. No one is always going to be right, but at least they took a stand and said what they thought.

I think it was David Dodds from FBJ that had Reggie Bush rediculously high overall and he didn't get as much backlash after the season as Index has.

Bold predictions = a godo thing as long as they are calculated.

Yeah, it was a couple years earlier that they won a lot of Championships for people (myself included) by talking up some guy named Clinton Portis. They tried the same thing with Tatum Bell and it backfired. In all fairness, as the offseason/preseason progressed, they continually advised people on their site that Tatum Bell was not meeting expectations and was plummeting down their rankings. But you're held to what you published in June, so that was that.

This year, they've got Addai at #5. I think they're going to regret that as well, but we'll see...
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby converge241 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:55 am

Metroid wrote:Yeah I wouldn't say I "use" fantasy football rags, I mainly get them just for something to read thats fantasy and football related. I just picked up the Fanball one its a pretty entertaining read. ;-)

Amen!

They are pretty useless on draft day IMO but great reading in the offseason just to get ready for the season

usually get

PFW - both the real and fantasy previews
Fanball
ESPN

then usually another 1-2 for just some more reading material
Black and Gold through and through
The Six Time Super Bowl CHAMPIONS
converge241
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby converge241 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:00 am

Also the Charlie Brown entry in the Fanball kickers section killed me ;-D
Black and Gold through and through
The Six Time Super Bowl CHAMPIONS
converge241
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bagobonez » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:33 am

Got ESPN's. It's a good read, I don't find anything in it too absurd, and they don't go out on a limb with every player just to try to be different. Additionally, there are some great stats, percentages and tendencies that can really help you as well as a breakdown of how many yards the best and worst CB's of the league allow per catch so you can play favorable matchups against those guys. You could spend $7-8 in worse ways.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:01 pm

The only one I read is Pro Football Weekly's book. It's not for advice, but just for casual reading. I stopped relying on books about six years ago when I realized how much they weren't helping my cause.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan04 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:26 am

Metroid wrote:Yeah I wouldn't say I "use" fantasy football rags, I mainly get them just for something to read thats fantasy and football related. I just picked up the Fanball one its a pretty entertaining read. ;-)

I just got the Fanball one as well, actually pretty funny. Fun to read when I have some down time.
steelerfan04
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Re:

Postby Axl's Army » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:03 am

BlueBandit24 wrote:I annually pick up the Fantasy Football Weekly magazine (done by the Fanball guys) and there release party is June 15th, meaning they're likely to hit newstands about a week or so later.

I just picked up the Fanball guys magazine. AND I MUST SAY prior to this off-season I would froth at the mouth when these magazines would come out. I would jump on them & read them cover to cover . . . BECAUSE I DIDN'T HAVE THE DARN INTERNET AND HADN'T DISCOVERED THE CAFE YET.

Everytime I go to Wal-Mart or the grocery store I swing by the magazine aisle & check them out. Every one I read up until the Fanball guys was A MAJOR YAWN none of which providing information that I hadn't already been privied to due to my Cafe Addiction.

I thought I wouldn't buy one ever again, then I picked up the Fanball guys mag & the crafty, witty writing style that sets it apart from every other publication I glanced at sold me. In fact, the cover reads something like "Just like those other fantasy magazines . . . only better!"

Yo Mama is so fat . . .
Axl's Army
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby apeay » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:01 pm

Axl's Army wrote:
I thought I wouldn't buy one ever again, then I picked up the Fanball guys mag & the crafty, witty writing style that sets it apart from every other publication I glanced at sold me. In fact, the cover reads something like "Just like those other fantasy magazines . . . only better!

Yeesh. Sorry to pick on Axl and company, but I actually picked up the Fanball magazine because of reviews like this on Cafe and I have to say: Fanball's magazine reads like my mom wrote the jokes. It's painfully bad, like cringing as you read, embarassed-for-them bad. I'm actually considering going back to B&N and trying to return or exchange it (although I think there's a little too much wear and tear at this point).

I don't mind if fantasy writers aren't funny, but good God Fanball, why even try if the results are that lame? Yuck.
apeay
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk