Magazines - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Magazines

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Magazines

Postby PMoneyTKE » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:28 pm

apeay wrote:
Axl's Army wrote:
I thought I wouldn't buy one ever again, then I picked up the Fanball guys mag & the crafty, witty writing style that sets it apart from every other publication I glanced at sold me. In fact, the cover reads something like "Just like those other fantasy magazines . . . only better!

Yeesh. Sorry to pick on Axl and company, but I actually picked up the Fanball magazine because of reviews like this on Cafe and I have to say: Fanball's magazine reads like my mom wrote the jokes. It's painfully bad, like cringing as you read, embarassed-for-them bad. I'm actually considering going back to B&N and trying to return or exchange it (although I think there's a little too much wear and tear at this point).

I don't mind if fantasy writers aren't funny, but good God Fanball, why even try if the results are that lame? Yuck.

You're gonna return a fantasy football magazine because it wasn't funny enough? :-?
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Lung » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:39 pm

apeay wrote:
Axl's Army wrote:
I thought I wouldn't buy one ever again, then I picked up the Fanball guys mag & the crafty, witty writing style that sets it apart from every other publication I glanced at sold me. In fact, the cover reads something like "Just like those other fantasy magazines . . . only better!

Yeesh. Sorry to pick on Axl and company, but I actually picked up the Fanball magazine because of reviews like this on Cafe and I have to say: Fanball's magazine reads like my mom wrote the jokes. It's painfully bad, like cringing as you read, embarassed-for-them bad. I'm actually considering going back to B&N and trying to return or exchange it (although I think there's a little too much wear and tear at this point).

I don't mind if fantasy writers aren't funny, but good God Fanball, why even try if the results are that lame? Yuck.

Man, I coldn't disagree more. Humor in fantasy football isn't an easy thing, and over the years, I don't think anybody in fantasy football has been as funny as the Fanball guys. ;-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby apeay » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:10 pm

PMoneyTKE wrote:
apeay wrote:
Axl's Army wrote:

You're gonna return a fantasy football magazine because it wasn't funny enough? :-?

No, I'm too lazy and unconfrontational to actually make the effort to return it. But if I did, let's just say I'd site consistently lame attempts at humor leading to overall crapiness. :-[

Oh well, I guess it's a reminder of why I should stick with the magazines I usually get. :,-(
apeay
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby PMoneyTKE » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:13 pm

apeay wrote:
PMoneyTKE wrote:
apeay wrote:

No, I'm too lazy and unconfrontational to actually make the effort to return it. But if I did, let's just say I'd site consistently lame attempts at humor leading to overall crapiness. :-[

Oh well, I guess it's a reminder of why I should stick with the magazines I usually get. :,-(

I guess i'm still not getting why you need good humor in a fantasy football magazine?
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NittanyLions » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:10 pm

I bought the Pro Football Preview from SN last year and loved it, and it's even more in depth this year, so that's what I'm going with. It really isn't a fantasy magazine, but as far as NFL previews I love it. It has almost everything. It projects depth charts, scouts and grades each player and unit, has some player rankings, etc. If you want purely fantasy analysis, this probably isn't the best choice, but as a general preview I have yet to match it.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby apeay » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:08 am

PMoneyTKE wrote:
apeay wrote:
PMoneyTKE wrote:

I guess i'm still not getting why you need good humor in a fantasy football magazine?

Oh, I don't need good humor in a ff magazine. But if you go back a page or two on this thread, everyone was raving about how clever and witty the Fanball magazine was. It wasn't. And on top of that, it's a really weak magazine. Marques Colston as a "sleeper"? Maybe if I had been in a coma since summer '06. No hard projections either. So yeah, I want my $8 back.
apeay
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Juke » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:02 pm

Fantasy Magazines can be a fun nugget when on the plane etc. I always grab a couple to help get me through the summer. However, most magazines are going to have to do some serious rethinking the next few years to get their content on par with news that develops from mini-camps. Here are my two favorites and not coincidently two that are leaders in the pack for that category:

1. http://www.footballdocs.com

The dated content of traditional magazines has gotten old, and the weekly updated magazine at footballdocs is pretty sweet. For the price of a fantasy mag, you get a magazine updated way more often than it needs to and it includes software to generate rankings for my fantasy scoring system. Other mags will need to get on the ball, and at the least include a disk in the back of them. I had good success with the footballdocs package last year and have enjoyed reading the content this year.

2. http://www.fanball.com

Fanball is one of the few traditional magazines that is doing everything it can to be more current. They delay publishing way later than most magazines to pack in the updated info. The reality is that as soon as a mag goes to press, it starts to stagnate (in fact several weeks before that as content must be finalized for editing). Fanball also does a good job with writing enjoyable write-ups. There is some entertainment value to be had, and I got a kick out of the "King" takes they did last year. If anyone was going to include a disk with software, it would be fanball.
Juke
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby apeay » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:12 pm

Juke wrote:Fantasy Magazines can be a fun nugget when on the plane etc. I always grab a couple to help get me through the summer. However, most magazines are going to have to do some serious rethinking the next few years to get their content on par with news that develops from mini-camps. Here are my two favorites and not coincidently two that are leaders in the pack for that category:

1. http://www.footballdocs.com

The dated content of traditional magazines has gotten old, and the weekly updated magazine at footballdocs is pretty sweet. For the price of a fantasy mag, you get a magazine updated way more often than it needs to and it includes software to generate rankings for my fantasy scoring system. Other mags will need to get on the ball, and at the least include a disk in the back of them. I had good success with the footballdocs package last year and have enjoyed reading the content this year.

2. http://www.fanball.com

Fanball is one of the few traditional magazines that is doing everything it can to be more current. They delay publishing way later than most magazines to pack in the updated info. The reality is that as soon as a mag goes to press, it starts to stagnate (in fact several weeks before that as content must be finalized for editing). Fanball also does a good job with writing enjoyable write-ups. There is some entertainment value to be had, and I got a kick out of the "King" takes they did last year. If anyone was going to include a disk with software, it would be fanball.

Does anyone still produce disks (besides AOL)? There's no need for them because magazines are primarily for bedroom, bathroom, beach, and travel -- places where you don't have a computer in front of you.

It looks like DailyDose.com is going to be sending out some kind of weekly email update. I'm going to them since I don't trust any other magazines besides Fantasy League Football. Well, and SI, but they're not a fantasy magazine. (I think I've had enough of Fanball's quote-unquote humor to last a lifetime.) ;-)
apeay
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby bolkonsky » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:23 pm

NittanyLions wrote:I bought the Pro Football Preview from SN last year and loved it, and it's even more in depth this year, so that's what I'm going with. It really isn't a fantasy magazine, but as far as NFL previews I love it. It has almost everything. It projects depth charts, scouts and grades each player and unit, has some player rankings, etc. If you want purely fantasy analysis, this probably isn't the best choice, but as a general preview I have yet to match it.

I agree. PFW is easily the best football magazine out there for fantasy or otherwise.
Hello, China? I have something you may want. But it's gonna cost you. That's right. All the tea.
bolkonsky
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jackseven » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:12 am

The new mag reviews, including FBGs, are out at http://FFmagazinereview.com
Fantasy Football Magazine Reviews on Rotoworld, Espn, Sporting News, etc . Prediction 1) MJD will be worth a first round pick . Prediction 2) The 49ers will have a winning record.
jackseven
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk