Magazines - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Magazines

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Magazines

Postby apeay » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:25 pm

jackseven wrote:The new mag reviews, including FBGs, are out at http://FFmagazinereview.com

I don't know Jackseven. I told myself I wouldn't get on you about those rankings again, but I no have two of those magazines and your grades are so far off it's like you're in bizarro world.

First off, I don't think anyone's opinion on these things are definitively correct. But I have been playing fantasy football since 1988, I've been purchasing a fantasy mag or two every year since 1997, and I have a backgrouind in graphic design.

But you just have fundamental mistakes in your reviews. Fanball has no hard projections, and gets an "A" for analysis.

Meanwhile, on FLF, I don't understand what you're piling on for. If you like low-risk, low-ceiling guys like Deuce McAllister, then fine, take them before high-risk guys like LenDale White and LaMont Jordan. And I'm not high on White or Jordan either. But at least those two have a chance to claim fulltime feature roles. McAllister does not. I also wanted to pose the following questions to you, because I can't understand why you would give a "D" for your stated reasons.

1. Cadillac. Every fantasy vet sees the reasons for a bounceback: goes from one of the toughest skeds vs. run to one of the easiest, upgrade at QB forces defenses to respect the pass again, Gruden's stated desire to get him more involved in the passing game. They project him as the No. 19 RB. What's the problem?

2. Chris Chambers was targeted 154 times last year! Now, he upgrades from Joey Harrington/Cleo Lemon to Trent Green. How is he not a top 15 receiver?

3. Braylon Edwards. Third-year WR w/ tremendous physical ability, Winslow's questionable status leaves no other reliable pass-catcher on the roster. Yes, he's a risk. Are you telling me you'd rather have Terry Glenn, a 33-year-old No. 2 receiver who has started 16 games in a year once in the past six seasons?

4. Randy Moss: higher or lower? The Patriots haven't had a 1,000-yard receiver since 2001.

5. Team previews are filler? Depth charts and schedules are filler? I guess we disagree. I would also disagree that reading stuff like Edge getting to run behind a fullback again, Deion Branch's move to the Z in a Mike Holmgren offense, Chad Johnson's lack of red zone producrion, and analysis of the new running schemes in Carolina and Atlanta is filler. Did you actually read those things?

And yeah, I already went into detail on the aethetics thing. I would bet that, if you did a readability study between every magazine you rate, FLF's design would be at or near the top, newspaper pages notwithstanding. (Perhaps it's because you got the rare copy with Giants QB coach Chris Palmer on the cover, while I have the one with Bengals QB Carson Palmer ;-) )

So J7, in my book you're a big-time 0-for-2. I really don't care enough (and I'm waaaaaay too cheap :-) ) to go buy those other magazines and see how you do. But in all seriousness, those two reviews are a major disservice to anyone reading them, loaded with what seem to be just black-and-white mistakes.

Holy crap, I just wasted 15 minutes of my life. See man, now you've got me all fired up. I'm gonna go eat some Froot Loops and try to chill out. :-[
apeay
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bagobonez » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:49 pm

Somebody at one time had a chart showing how accurate the "experts" were... they were ranked based on how accurate they actually were from season to season in their rankings.

I can't remember the rankings but I do remember The Sporting News being ranked dead last, which made me laugh because they are notorious Cowboys haters. Anybody know where that chart is?
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby apeay » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:07 pm

bagobonez wrote:Somebody at one time had a chart showing how accurate the "experts" were... they were ranked based on how accurate they actually were from season to season in their rankings.

I can't remember the rankings but I do remember The Sporting News being ranked dead last, which made me laugh because they are notorious Cowboys haters. Anybody know where that chart is?

I remember that! Can't find it though. I did come across this old article on best fantasy mags from Brandon Funston's days at ESPN in 2001:

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/funston/010831.html

Obviously, not that useful. But kind of a funny trip down memory lane, when Aaron Brooks was considered a rising star, and when FF Index saying "Randy Moss may go down as the 1998 version of Rocket Ismail or Desmond Howard."
apeay
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby jackseven » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:24 am

apeay wrote:
jackseven wrote:The new mag reviews, including FBGs, are out at http://FFmagazinereview.com

I don't know Jackseven. I told myself I wouldn't get on you about those rankings again, but I no have two of those magazines and your grades are so far off it's like you're in bizarro world.

First off, I don't think anyone's opinion on these things are definitively correct. But I have been playing fantasy football since 1988, I've been purchasing a fantasy mag or two every year since 1997, and I have a backgrouind in graphic design.

But you just have fundamental mistakes in your reviews. Fanball has no hard projections, and gets an "A" for analysis.

Meanwhile, on FLF, I don't understand what you're piling on for. If you like low-risk, low-ceiling guys like Deuce McAllister, then fine, take them before high-risk guys like LenDale White and LaMont Jordan. And I'm not high on White or Jordan either. But at least those two have a chance to claim fulltime feature roles. McAllister does not. I also wanted to pose the following questions to you, because I can't understand why you would give a "D" for your stated reasons.

1. Cadillac. Every fantasy vet sees the reasons for a bounceback: goes from one of the toughest skeds vs. run to one of the easiest, upgrade at QB forces defenses to respect the pass again, Gruden's stated desire to get him more involved in the passing game. They project him as the No. 19 RB. What's the problem?

2. Chris Chambers was targeted 154 times last year! Now, he upgrades from Joey Harrington/Cleo Lemon to Trent Green. How is he not a top 15 receiver?

3. Braylon Edwards. Third-year WR w/ tremendous physical ability, Winslow's questionable status leaves no other reliable pass-catcher on the roster. Yes, he's a risk. Are you telling me you'd rather have Terry Glenn, a 33-year-old No. 2 receiver who has started 16 games in a year once in the past six seasons?

4. Randy Moss: higher or lower? The Patriots haven't had a 1,000-yard receiver since 2001.

5. Team previews are filler? Depth charts and schedules are filler? I guess we disagree. I would also disagree that reading stuff like Edge getting to run behind a fullback again, Deion Branch's move to the Z in a Mike Holmgren offense, Chad Johnson's lack of red zone producrion, and analysis of the new running schemes in Carolina and Atlanta is filler. Did you actually read those things?

And yeah, I already went into detail on the aethetics thing. I would bet that, if you did a readability study between every magazine you rate, FLF's design would be at or near the top, newspaper pages notwithstanding. (Perhaps it's because you got the rare copy with Giants QB coach Chris Palmer on the cover, while I have the one with Bengals QB Carson Palmer ;-) )

So J7, in my book you're a big-time 0-for-2. I really don't care enough (and I'm waaaaaay too cheap :-) ) to go buy those other magazines and see how you do. But in all seriousness, those two reviews are a major disservice to anyone reading them, loaded with what seem to be just black-and-white mistakes.

Holy crap, I just wasted 15 minutes of my life. See man, now you've got me all fired up. I'm gonna go eat some Froot Loops and try to chill out. :-[

I wish I could be more applicable to more people, but it looks like we disagree. I take off for no projections in the content, not the analysis because there was nothing to grade them on. I also fully admit to the possibility of mistakes. Keep in mind, I only have so much time to browse through them as this was just an idea I had to put up a small site since nobody else had it.

In the about the site section, I mention that my analysis on their analysis is volatile because it is my subjective thoughts against what I see. So obviously, it is up for interpretation. I don't have a graphic design background, I just write on what I like and don't like.

I think your opinions would offer a good counterbalance to my website because I certainly don't want to cheat anybody. Is it alright if I paste your quoted post in my blog with your username?
Fantasy Football Magazine Reviews on Rotoworld, Espn, Sporting News, etc . Prediction 1) MJD will be worth a first round pick . Prediction 2) The 49ers will have a winning record.
jackseven
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby moose_ffc » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:58 am

apeay wrote:
Juke wrote:Fantasy Magazines can be a fun nugget when on the plane etc. I always grab a couple to help get me through the summer. However, most magazines are going to have to do some serious rethinking the next few years to get their content on par with news that develops from mini-camps. Here are my two favorites and not coincidently two that are leaders in the pack for that category:

1. http://www.footballdocs.com

The dated content of traditional magazines has gotten old, and the weekly updated magazine at footballdocs is pretty sweet. For the price of a fantasy mag, you get a magazine updated way more often than it needs to and it includes software to generate rankings for my fantasy scoring system. Other mags will need to get on the ball, and at the least include a disk in the back of them. I had good success with the footballdocs package last year and have enjoyed reading the content this year.

2. http://www.fanball.com

Fanball is one of the few traditional magazines that is doing everything it can to be more current. They delay publishing way later than most magazines to pack in the updated info. The reality is that as soon as a mag goes to press, it starts to stagnate (in fact several weeks before that as content must be finalized for editing). Fanball also does a good job with writing enjoyable write-ups. There is some entertainment value to be had, and I got a kick out of the "King" takes they did last year. If anyone was going to include a disk with software, it would be fanball.

Does anyone still produce disks (besides AOL)? There's no need for them because magazines are primarily for bedroom, bathroom, beach, and travel -- places where you don't have a computer in front of you.

It looks like DailyDose.com is going to be sending out some kind of weekly email update. I'm going to them since I don't trust any other magazines besides Fantasy League Football. Well, and SI, but they're not a fantasy magazine. (I think I've had enough of Fanball's quote-unquote humor to last a lifetime.) ;-)

I know fanball can be corny, but there humor doesn't bother me. Not everything can be "There is a 60% chance Alexander will recover from his foot injury and an 80% chance he will play this weekend. That is all." IMO
"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
moose_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:00 pm

Went to the big city last week and grabbed a few magazines on my way home (didn't have time to peruse them in the store for long so just grabbed them and ran).

Sporting News and Rotowire were okay, though not sure about Rotowire dropping the Bears D to 10th this year. Fanball was good - liked their breakdown of fantasy points allowed by each team by position last year (eg - Opposing RB's scored an average of only 7.7 pts/game against the Ravens last year, but WR's scored 19.9 pts/game). Lindy's mag wasn't great - doesn't even bother to give team D rankings, Marshawn Lynch isn't in the RB rankings and they have T.O. at #22 in the WR rankings (even if ya hate the guy that's way low!).
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby kaiser » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:56 am

vickfan07 wrote:if you guys were all that smart then you would know that fantasy football is all luck it doesn't matter all the stuff you know. it is a crapshoot for sure

mod edit
Thanks to madaslives911 for my Flutie sig!
kaiser
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moose_ffc » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:08 am

stomperrob wrote:Went to the big city last week and grabbed a few magazines on my way home (didn't have time to peruse them in the store for long so just grabbed them and ran).

Sporting News and Rotowire were okay, though not sure about Rotowire dropping the Bears D to 10th this year. Fanball was good - liked their breakdown of fantasy points allowed by each team by position last year (eg - Opposing RB's scored an average of only 7.7 pts/game against the Ravens last year, but WR's scored 19.9 pts/game). Lindy's mag wasn't great - doesn't even bother to give team D rankings, Marshawn Lynch isn't in the RB rankings and they have T.O. at #22 in the WR rankings (even if ya hate the guy that's way low!).

wow. Those are some serious reasons to not take Mags to seriously. I got an ESPN one in the mail. It had some pretty wack rankings in it. I still like to look at them, I just don't follow anything they say.
"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
moose_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby kaiser » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:32 pm

What did I say?
Thanks to madaslives911 for my Flutie sig!
kaiser
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moose_ffc » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:02 pm

kaiser wrote:What did I say?

We may never know?
moose_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk