Culpepper asks for release - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Culpepper asks for release

Moderator: Football Moderators

Culpepper asks for release

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:22 pm

Posted on Fri, Jun. 08, DOLPHINS | DAUNTE CULPEPPER

Quarterback hurls criticisms, bemoans team's 'impatience'

In his latest demand to be released, Daunte Culpepper on Thursday publically blamed the Dolphins for the first time.

BY JEFF DARLINGTON
mailto:jdarlington@MiamiHerald.com

In another public demand to be released rather than traded, Dolphins quarterback Daunte Culpepper on Thursday expressed his first public criticism of the organization for its decision to ''rush'' him into action at the start of last season.

''I must say the impatience the organization displayed in both encouraging me to rush back on the field last year and then rushing me out the door this year is disappointing,'' Culpepper said in an e-mail. ``However, I understand that they have the right to make that business decision. It is now my turn to make some decisions.''

Among those decisions, Culpepper has told the team he intends to participate in today's minicamp if he isn't released -- which puts the Dolphins in a tricky situation because they would be responsible for his $5.5 million salary next year if he is injured.

Culpepper delivered a letter to coach Cam Cameron and general manager Randy Mueller on Thursday in which he wrote that his release would allow him to go through the proper courtship with a potential suitor.

''I feel it is necessary to obtain a release rather than seek a trade so that I would not bring the excess baggage of my present contract to a new team,'' Culpepper said. ``I feel like my next team should have the opportunity to get to know me as a man and a player before they make any long-term commitment.''

The Jacksonville Jaguars and the Detroit Lions could be the most intriguing destinations for Culpepper. A trade, however, has not yet been completed, although his release could come as soon as today.

The Dolphins did grant Culpepper, who acts as his own agent, permission to speak to other teams. He did not acknowledge whether he had indeed begun marketing himself.

Culpepper's criticism of the Dolphins comes as somewhat of a surprise, considering that he often spoke anxiously last year about hoping for the opportunity to play as soon as possible. After four games, former coach Nick Saban decided the team had made the wrong decision by starting him, replacing Culpepper with Joey Harrington.

However, now Culpepper has clearly grown tired of the antics of the organization where he spent just one year.

''Even though it is frustrating, I had prepared myself for the possibility that I would not be given an opportunity to compete here since the week before this year's NFL Draft,'' Culpepper said. ``At that time it became obvious to me that my desire to compete would not trump established relationships.''

and:

Last modified 6/7/2007 - 5:51 am
Originally created 060707

NOTEBOOK: Reports: Culpepper could land with Jags

By MICHAEL C. WRIGHT, The Times-Union

Recent reports on the NFL Network have hinted at Jacksonville as a possible destination for Miami quarterback Daunte Culpepper, whose tenure is in jeopardy now that the Dolphins have traded for Kansas City's Trent Green.

While league rules prohibit Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio from commenting about Culpepper, because he is currently under contract with the Dolphins, one thing the coach made clear after organized team activities Wednesday is that the only way Culpepper comes to Jacksonville is as a backup to Byron Leftwich.

"We don't rule any players out," Del Rio said. "Obviously, I like our quarterback situation. I've been on record. I've said it countless times."

Instead of naming Culpepper specifically when addressing reporters about the possibility of acquiring him, Del Rio referred to him in one instance as "a quarterback south of here."

"We consider all possibilities," he said. "Right now, he's on another roster. I don't think it makes any sense for me to sit up here and talk about something that's on another roster."

Instead of discussing Culpepper any further, Del Rio preferred to rave about Leftwich's performance during Wednesday's drills, specifically the blitz portion of the workout.

Leftwich connected on several throws during the blitz period, including a long pass over the middle to receiver Dennis Northcutt.

"That's as sharp as he's looked. That's the sharpest we've looked offensively, and obviously there's a lot to be done," Del Rio said. "But I like the signs I'm seeing."

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Culpepper asks for release

Postby killiansjmd » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:25 pm

Rumor right now is he is close to be dealt to the Jags.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Felix the Cat » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:29 pm

As a Jags fan I'm not sure what to think about that.

Right now we have a clear starting quarterback (Leftwich), a very capable, experienced backup who could start on some teams (Garrard), and a young guy who's shown flashes of talent (Quinn Gray). I really don't see the need for Culpepper at this time.

However, there's likely more than meets the eye here. 2007 is the last year on Leftwich's contract. Garrard's runs out after the 2008 season. I know that Gray was a RFA this year and that he signed a contract with the Jags, but I don't recall if it was long term or just the one-year RFA tender. Given these facts, I can see the justification for acquiring Culpepper. Since the team's quarterback situation is already secure, the Jags can afford to keep him off the field until he is completely rehabilitated and has regained his mobility. Leftwich may not want to resign with the Jags, as there have been persistent reports that there is little love lost between him and HC Del Rio. Garrard has shown that he can be a legitimate NFL starter, and the Jags will probably want to shop him around next offseason, so that they get something for him before they lose him. Culpepper gives them the ability to do this, as, assuming that he can be returned to his old form, he can start in 2008. Gray would then be elevated to the #2 spot and a #3 could be found via free agency, the draft, or the practice squad.

Culpepper to the Jags makes a bit more sense when viewed this way.
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mrblitz » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:51 pm

I feel that their are teams that really wouldn't have much to lose in
signing him. He could be a veteranable 3rd stringer for someone.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby DraftDodger » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:39 pm

I'm thinking Atlanta or New England, with Atlanta being the smart move for both Culpepper and the team. Michael Vick is going down hard. The feds have taken over the case and he will not get off with a slap on the wrists. Atlanta should cut him loose now and get Culpepper.

Otherwise, I know Bill would love to have a seasoned backup in New England, and Culpepper's willingness to restructure probably makes that doable.

The teams in desperate need of a QB are too foolish or pigheaded to admit it, and they won't go after Culpepper.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby dgan » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:22 am

DraftDodger wrote:I'm thinking Atlanta or New England, with Atlanta being the smart move for both Culpepper and the team. Michael Vick is going down hard. The feds have taken over the case and he will not get off with a slap on the wrists. Atlanta should cut him loose now and get Culpepper.

Otherwise, I know Bill would love to have a seasoned backup in New England, and Culpepper's willingness to restructure probably makes that doable.

The teams in desperate need of a QB are too foolish or pigheaded to admit it, and they won't go after Culpepper.

You make it sound like he is still starting QB material...am I reading into that correctly? He is a 2nd stringer -- if healthy -- wherever he goes, IMO.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Felix the Cat » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:26 am

DraftDodger wrote:I'm thinking Atlanta or New England, with Atlanta being the smart move for both Culpepper and the team. Michael Vick is going down hard. The feds have taken over the case and he will not get off with a slap on the wrists. Atlanta should cut him loose now and get Culpepper.

Atlanta already has Joey Harrington, presumably acquired as insurance against a Vick suspension. I see no reason why they'd want Culpepper over Harrington.

I've heard that New England likes Matt Cassel as its primary backup to Brady, despite his lack of experience. And there's always Vinny Testaverde...
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby smackthefirst » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:58 pm

Sounds like another McNair/management situation in the making. At least McNair was willing to be traded. CPepp seems like he's only going to be happy if the Dolphins release him and get nothing for him.

Lowell Sun wrote:Frustrated by the team's decision to let him only participate in individual drills, Culpepper walked off the practice field - accompanied by a member of Miami's security staff - about an hour into Friday's start of a three-day minicamp and vowed that he'd block the Dolphins' plans to trade him.

Full Story
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby PapaPark » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:57 pm

If we are just gonna throw out teams I really feel like Houston is a contender in the Culpepper sweepstakes. All they have is Matt Schaub and Sage Rosenfels.

I think he could very well go to Houston.
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby beanoX3 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:20 pm

I listened a little bit to the ESPN Radio show, The Huddle, today and there were talking about a few places Culpepper could go to. Besides the aforementioned Jags, John Clayton and the other dude said that Baltimore, Tennessee and Green Bay could be possible places where Culpepper could fit in. Baltimore because Clayton said that Billick knows C-Pep and has an aging McNair and a rookie Troy Smith. Tennessee has C-Pep's former HC, Tice, as the assistant HC. And only the dude doing the show with Clayton mentioned Green Bay since he thinks Favre will definitely retire after this year and Rodgers is still an unknown.

In any case, Culpepper's best bet right now is to get released and then wait for training camps to start and hope a starting QB somewhere gets hurt. I don't think any team in the NFL right now is looking for a starting QB, but I'd laugh so hard if C-Pep ends up in Oakland.

B-)
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk