Culpepper asks for release - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Culpepper asks for release

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Culpepper asks for release

Postby DraftDodger » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:37 am

dgan wrote:
DraftDodger wrote:I'm thinking Atlanta or New England, with Atlanta being the smart move for both Culpepper and the team. Michael Vick is going down hard. The feds have taken over the case and he will not get off with a slap on the wrists. Atlanta should cut him loose now and get Culpepper.

Otherwise, I know Bill would love to have a seasoned backup in New England, and Culpepper's willingness to restructure probably makes that doable.

The teams in desperate need of a QB are too foolish or pigheaded to admit it, and they won't go after Culpepper.

You make it sound like he is still starting QB material...am I reading into that correctly? He is a 2nd stringer -- if healthy -- wherever he goes, IMO.

If he's not starting material, he's not team material. Either he can play or he can't. What good is an expensive veteran backup who can't come in off the bench if your starter goes down? None. I have no choice but to view him as capable of starting if some team picks him up; otherwise you just can't justify taking the guy. He will have to work out for any team that's interested, and if he's as gimped as some sports writers say he is, his career is over and he won't be on any team. Would Culpepper's ego allow him to take any job where he won't start or at least have a real shot at a ring? I don't think so. I too question if he'll ever play again, but if he does, it may well be as a starter.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mrblitz » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:20 pm

06/11 Dolphins: Culpepper might file grievance
Source: Fanball
Daunte Culpepper might file a grievance against the Dolphins via the NFL Players Association, according to the Palm Beach Post. Culpepper wants to chose which team to join for next season, rather than let the Dolphins trade him where they wish.

Our View
The trouble is that he doesn't have much legal ground to make such a demand. In the end, he probably will get released, but not until the Dolphins exhaust their trade possibilities.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:07 pm

Update:

Union takes up Culpepper's cause

By GREG A. BEDARD

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The Daunte Culpepper saga is about to get the feel of a legal drama.

The NFL Players' Association said Monday it will file a grievance against the Miami Dolphins on behalf of quarterback Daunte Culpepper by the end of the week - possibly by this morning.

Richard Berthelsen, the union's general counsel, said the NFLPA will argue that the Dolphins violated the terms of Culpepper's contract when they told him Friday that he would not be allowed to practice with the team.

"The first paragraph of the player contract says, 'Club employs player as a skilled football player,' '' Berthelsen said. "A club that refuses to allow a player to practice is not letting them do their job

"The situation is just not right. They are, in effect, breaching his contract by refusing to employ him. He either has a right to be employed there or elsewhere and we're going to do everything we can to make sure that result occurs."

Both the Dolphins and the NFL said they will have no comment until the grievance is filed.

Since the Dolphins have just two off-season practices left this week, Culpepper's only hope is that the grievance will be heard and ruled on by the time training camp begins in late July.

According to Culpepper, Dolphins coach Cam Cameron and General Manager Randy Mueller told him in a meeting last week that they were going to try to trade him after they traded for quarterback Trent Green. Culpepper said he preferred to be released and would thwart any attempt the Dolphins made to trade him.

Before the start of the team's mini-camp Friday, Culpepper said the Dolphins informed the team in a meeting that Culpepper would not be practicing with the team. After Culpepper took part in some individual drills, quarterbacks coach Terry Shea, according to Culpepper, told him he would not get any reps in team drills. Culpepper then left the practice field and hasn't returned.

Kicker Jay Feely, the Dolphins' player rep to the union, said he has spoken to Culpepper and the Dolphins and feels the team hasn't "broken any rules."

Berthelsen said the grievance he filed and won last year against the Tennessee Titans on behalf of current Baltimore Ravens quarterback Steve McNair was "similar" to Culpepper's situation and hoped the Dolphins "would see the errors of their ways," before both sides got litigious.

The NFLPA was called to help McNair when the Titans barred him from the training facility to eliminate any chance of him getting injured on team grounds. If he had, the Titans would have been responsible for the full amount of his $24 million salary cap number.

The Dolphins have allowed Culpepper to work out at the facility, they just won't let him practice. After a special arbitrator allowed McNair on the Titans' grounds, he was traded before the issue of the Titans' plans to bar him from practicing had to be pursued by the union's lawyers.

Once the grievance is filed on Culpepper's behalf, the Dolphins will have 10 days to respond. It took over a month for the seven hours of testimony to be heard in the McNair case. The ruling came down two weeks later.

Berthelsen said he'll likely ask for an expedited hearing so that Culpepper can "get the justice he's do as soon as humanly possible."

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:16 am

Update - Jags confirm interest:

Jaguars interested in Culpepper

By GREG A. BEDARD

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Thursday, June 14, 2007

DAVIE — Disgruntled Dolphins quarterback Daunte Culpepper could be inching closer to a new home - about five hours north on Interstate 95.

The Jacksonville Jaguars recently informed their quarterbacks that reports of the team's interest in Culpepper were true, starter Byron Leftwich and backup David Garrard told reporters Wednesday.

"I was told we have to bring him in to look at him," Garrard said.

Offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter told Garrard that the club's interest in Culpepper - who has demanded his release but whom the Dolphins want to trade - is no reflection on Garrard.

"He said it doesn't have anything to do with (my) status," Garrard said. "I just took it that if there's a player on the street as good as Daunte Culpepper, you have to take a look at him."

What is unknown is whether Culpepper, who spoke with the Jaguars after the Dolphins granted him permission to do so, would agree to be traded to Jacksonville.

Culpepper, a native of Ocala, has said he would like to stay in Florida, but he also has indicated that getting a chance to start is his priority.

Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio said last week that Leftwich will start this season and that any quarterback added to the roster would be designated a back-up.

Culpepper did not return an e-mail seeking comment Wednesday. Dolphins coach Cam Cameron also declined to comment. But the Dolphins are believed to be seeking a late-round draft pick for Culpepper.

Culpepper's cooperation would be necessary for a trade because a new team would likely ask him to take a pay cut. Culpepper, 30, is scheduled to earn $5.5 million this season. He also could void a deal by refusing to report.

Del Rio said Wednesday he couldn't comment specifically on Culpepper because he is under contract. He did say the Jaguars routinely look at player moves that could "strengthen our roster."

"Many don't pan out. It's due diligence we're doing as an organization," Del Rio said. "I wouldn't make anything more of it than that."

It is not known whether Del Rio, whose job security isn't assured after an 8-8 season, is part of the Jaguars' camp that would like to add Culpepper. Del Rio might be concerned that Culpepper - who has had the players' union file a grievance on his behalf after the Dolphins barred him from team drills - could be a distraction.

But James Harris, the Jaguars' vice president of player personnel, wants Culpepper, a source said.

Harris, a former NFL quarterback, prefers large quarterbacks with big arms and Culpepper, at 6-foot-4 and 265 pounds, fits that description. (Leftwich is 6-5 and 242; Garrard is 6-1, 240.)

The Jaguars' assistant head coach/offense is Mike Tice, who was Culpepper's coach with Minnesota from 2002 through '05. They remain close.

Leftwich said the Jaguars are "his team" but added that he would have no problem if the team added Culpepper.

"Any time you have a quarterback of Daunte's caliber, it's smart to look into it, especially with me having one year left on my contract," Leftwich said.

Ambassadors: Cameron and defensive ened Jason Taylor will travel to London next week to promote the Oct. 28 regular-season game against the New York Giants.

London fans are excited about the contest. The first 40,000 tickets made available for the game were sold in 90 minutes when they went on sale May 16, the league said.

Tickets for the contest were made available to fans in Europe first.

The game will be played at London's 90,000-seat newly rebuilt Wembley Stadium and will be the first NFL game to be played outside North America.

Noteworthy: Taylor and fullback Cory Schlesinger did not practice Wednesday, citing personal reasons. ... Today will be the club's final practice until training camp starts in late July. The Dolphins do have two weeks of conditioning remaining. ... The Dolphins will not hold practices with the Tennessee Titans - or any other team - during training camp. The possibility had come up. ~greg_bedard@pbpost.com

stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mikus » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:31 pm

Culpepper injured his hand in a car accident last night:

http://hazeradio.wordpress.com/2007/06/ ... -accident/

Luckily for Miami, it appears to be his non-throwing hand. It should not affect his trade value, if they can deal him, which I doubt.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby Munboy » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:48 pm

mikus wrote:Culpepper injured his hand in a car accident last night:

http://hazeradio.wordpress.com/2007/06/ ... -accident/

Luckily for Miami, it appears to be his non-throwing hand. It should not affect his trade value, if they can deal him, which I doubt.

wait...he has trade value? :-b
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:26 pm

Today's paper:

Posted on Fri, Jun. 15, 2007

Daunte 'fine' after crash
Daunte Culpepper said he sustained a 'minor contusion' on his nonthrowing hand after being involved in a two-car accident Wednesday.

BY JEFF DARLINGTON
mailto:jdarlington@MiamiHerald.com

The latest dramatic chapter of this story won't alter Daunte Culpepper's future in Miami. And it won't result in any more grievances against the Dolphins or knee surgeries.

Instead, it will just require some automotive bodywork.

''My heart is broke,'' Culpepper said in an e-mail Thursday. ``A guy rear-ended my 1975 convertible Caprice classic. I had just got a new paint job.''

Culpepper was involved in a two-car accident during a rainy Wednesday night on the Sawgrass Expressway in Coral Springs, a Florida Highway Patrol spokesman said.

Culpepper's vehicle was struck from behind when he attempted to return to the expressway after pulling off to the side to check for mechanical problems, Sgt. Mark Wysocky of the Florida Highway Patrol said.

Both drivers gave conflicting reports about the accident. Culpepper said he got back onto the Sawgrass using his hazard lights when Gary Wolfe's 2004 Chevy Avalanche collided with Culpepper's vehicle. Wolfe, however, told police Culpepper was driving too slow and without lights, Wysocky said.

Charges might be pending and the investigation is continuing, officials said.

MINOR INJURY

Culpepper, who complained of pain in his left, nonthrowing hand when paramedics arrived, was transported to Coral Springs Medical Center with his passenger, Larry Tucker.

''I am fine,'' Culpepper said in the e-mail. ``I had a minor contusion [on the top of his left hand]. The X-rays were negative.''

The accident comes during the same week the NFL Players Association filed a grievance on Culpepper's behalf against the Dolphins for breaching his contract by not allowing him to participate in recent practices.

The Dolphins, who will either trade or release Culpepper within the next few months, did not let Culpepper participate in most drills, fearing potential injury. If Culpepper sustained an injury on the field, the team could be forced to pay his $5.5 million salary next season.

However, even if Culpepper's injury during Wednesday's crash had been serious, the Dolphins would not be liable for his salary. In such a scenario, the team could still choose to cut Culpepper -- or place him on a nonfootball injury list without paying him until he recovered.

Both of those situations will be avoided in this scenario because Culpepper told the Dolphins he did not sustain any injuries that would limit his ability to play.

''We have spoken to Daunte,'' team spokesman Harvey Greene said Thursday, ``and he assured us he was fine.''

stomperrob

Previous

Return to Football Talk