Seahawks' 'Pork Chop' Womack to miss minicamp and OTA's - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Seattle Seahawks

Seahawks' 'Pork Chop' Womack to miss minicamp and OTA's

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mrblitz » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:26 pm

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: June 8, 2007, 12:24 PM ET

Often-injured offensive lineman Floyd Womack (aka "Pork Chop"), who has missed two dozen regular-season games because of injuries in his six-year career with Seattle, will be sidelined for the rest of the Seahawks' minicamp and organized team activities sessions (OTA) after undergoing arthroscopic surgeries on both knees.

Expected to challenge this year for the starting job at either right guard or right tackle, as coach Mike Holmgren has opened up those two positions to competition, Womack left the team's Wednesday practice early because of pain in his knees.

Team officials feel that, even with the two arthroscopic procedures, there is sufficient time for Womack to be fully recovered by the start of training camp next month.

Womack, 28, re-signed with the Seahawks this spring after first testing the unrestricted free agent market. He visited with club officials in Atlanta and Pittsburgh, and had visits set up with a few other teams, but opted to return to Seattle on a one-year contract that includes a base salary of $700,000.

Originally, it was thought that Womack would split time at right guard with 14-year veteran Chris Gray, but that was before Holmgren announced that the starting positions on the right side of the line were up for grabs.

A former Mississippi State standout, Womack is a power-type blocker who fits best on the strong side of the offensive line, and who has logged 32 starts in 61 career appearances, while playing guard and tackle at various times. While there have been stretches in which Womack has been impressive, injuries have historically slowed his progress.

He has suffered ankle, calf, hand, head, heel, hip, knee, triceps, quadriceps and toe injuries, all of which have cost Womack playing time. As a result, Womack has logged double-digit starts only once in his career, in 2002, when he started 10 games.

Still, the Seattle coaches consider Womack, a fourth-round pick in the 2001 draft, a key player, whether as a versatile reserve or part-time starter, and they worked hard to convince him to return to the Seahawks this spring.

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Seahawks' 'Pork Chop' Womack to miss minicamp and OTA's

Postby BGbootha » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:26 pm

THis offensive line gets scarier and scarier everytime I pick up the newspaper, in which makes Alexander scarier and scarier, which makes Hass and the whole offense scary....but hey atleast we have our defense to fall back on right... :~( :~( :~( :~( :~(
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby mrblitz » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:29 pm

BGbootha wrote:THis offensive line gets scarier and scarier everytime I pick up the newspaper, in which makes Alexander scarier and scarier, which makes Hass and the whole offense scary....but hey atleast we have our defense to fall back on right... :~( :~( :~( :~( :~(

I hear ya. I'm really starting to think the same thing. But I do think the offense will still find a way to post some decent numbers when it's all said and done. Branch is healthy , right.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby SeaWolf » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:52 pm

mrblitz wrote:
BGbootha wrote:THis offensive line gets scarier and scarier everytime I pick up the newspaper, in which makes Alexander scarier and scarier, which makes Hass and the whole offense scary....but hey atleast we have our defense to fall back on right... :~( :~( :~( :~( :~(

I hear ya. I'm really starting to think the same thing. But I do think the offense will still find a way to post some decent numbers when it's all said and done. Branch is healthy , right.

You haven't heard the news? ;7
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Seattle Seahawks