Williams looking forward to Cowboys' new-look defense - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Dallas Cowboys

Williams looking forward to Cowboys' new-look defense

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mrblitz » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:43 am

Associated Press

Updated: June 9, 2007, 9:20 PM ET

IRVING, Texas -- Count Roy Williams among the Dallas Cowboys happy with the changes made by new head coach Wade Phillips.

After leading the Cowboys with five interceptions last season but criticized for often getting beat on deep throws, Williams said Saturday that Phillips has tailored the 3-4 scheme to make things a little different for him.

Among the changes: Williams will play closer to the line of scrimmage, with some new plays allowing him to take advantage of his reputation as a hard-hitting pass rusher.

"Coach Phillips said they installed some plays for me, and I'm looking forward to it," Williams said. "Wade said he's going to put his players in position to make plays. It does feel a little bit better coming to work knowing that I'm going to be able to get a little more involved in the defense."

The Cowboys wrap up their voluntary workouts Sunday at their Valley Ranch headquarters. Players won't report again until training camp starts July 24 in San Antonio.

A Pro Bowler in four of his five NFL seasons, Williams said lining up six or seven yards away from the ball instead of 15 will be a significant change.

"That's a huge difference," Williams said. "When I'm closer to the ball, rather than being deep, I can beat a lineman to a certain point where he's trying to keep me from being, instead of being 15 yards back, where I've got to run and then stop my momentum and then try to get around a lineman."

The addition of former Seahawks safety Ken Hamlin, another hard hitter who can provide pass coverage, also allows the Cowboys some leeway in shifting Williams around.

"Ken has a lot of range, playing deep balls and his communication back there," Williams said. "It's really beneficial, and I appreciate us bringing him in."

Hamlin is also happy to team up with Williams.

"To have that guy lining up next to me, with the corners that we have, and with the defensive line, it's going to be a good situation," he said.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Williams looking forward to Cowboys' new-look defense

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:25 pm

I had already read this article, but I think it will be GREAT for the Cowboys to have a new defensive system under Wade Phillips. I am looking forward to their new defensive schemes than anything else this season.

Oh and you Cowboys fans check out the feature to subscribe to a forum and subscribe to this one. Makes it WAY easier when there is a new post to know about it. ;D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Williams looking forward to Cowboys' new-look defense

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:27 pm

Im happy with the feedback so far. Seems the boys are happy with the new system and that typically means more wins. I can't wait till the season.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Return to Dallas Cowboys