Advice for large league - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Advice for large league

Moderator: Football Moderators

Advice for large league

Postby mthomas720 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:42 pm

I am in a very big league this year (14 teams). This is bigger than any league I've ever been in. Any advice for winning in a league this big? Also, I'm the commissioner, so any advice for running a league this big?
Props to sigmaker for the sig

"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up." - Vince Lombardi
mthomas720
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Advice for large league

Postby Hubarooski » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:46 pm

As the commish the best way to do good in the league is rig the draft order so you get to pick 1st and get LT2 ;)

IMO the biggest difference between large and small leagues is how much the WW affects teams. In large leagues depth is hard to achieve, so key pickups off of waivers can really boost your team when you plug a guy into the starting lineup.

Along with this I would strategy I would draft players in the very late rounds that are high risk/high reward, but don't hold on to them to long b/c you have a feeling they will produce soon (I have done this before).
Hubarooski
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mrblitz » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:00 pm

Although, I've never been in a 14 teamer, the obvious thing to remember is to grab
the best player on the board. No more strategy in the first 5 rounds at least.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:01 pm

It would help to know what your rosters will be - can you post that for us. One thing to keep in mind - after everyone has picked their 2 starting RB's, that's 28 RB's gone so it's gonna be tough for everyone to get a fairly solid RB3, so that's something you're gonna want to keep in mind.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby mthomas720 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:38 pm

This is the roster:
1 QB
3 WR
2 RB
1 TE
1 K
1 DEF
6 BN

"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up." - Vince Lombardi
mthomas720
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby PapaPark » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:05 pm

I normally stick to large leagues with my 12 team league being the smallest I'm in.

In the larger leagues your Running Backs become even more important so it's vital you get two strong backs in the first two rounds. Follow that with a 3rd and 4th round WR

Sometimes a WR run might happen early second round but the two headed running back monster is key in my opinion.

Every team will lack something so the waiver wire becomes your next important investment. Stay on top of injuries and possible "one-two week wonders"
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Timbathia » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:59 pm

This advice is for any sized league:

When you know your draft position, go to a site like fantasyfootballcalculator and either run through a couple of mock drafts yourself or check out the ADPs for 14 team leagues. The idea is to look at the choices you will generally get in each round. You can then put together a range of "possible" teams that you will get from that draft position. Look for the drop-offs in positional tiers - stuff like how long you can wait until you can get a player at each position you will be satisfied with. Try choosing RBs with your fist 2 picks, or RB/WR, try waiting until the very end to get a QB and TE, or taking a good QB early/mid rounds, etc. and see which type of team you feel most content with. The actual players you get will not necessarily be the same as the mock you like the most, but the style of team will.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mthomas720 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:08 pm

BUMP

mthomas720
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Football Talk