McNabb returns to practice, is weeks ahead of schedule - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

McNabb returns to practice, is weeks ahead of schedule

Moderator: Football Moderators

McNabb returns to practice, is weeks ahead of schedule

Postby mikus » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:28 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2900843

Interesting. I wonder if he is rushing back b/c of what the Eagles did in the draft. I hope he does not suffer the same fate that befell Culpepper in his haste to return to the playing field last season.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Re: McNabb returns to practice, is weeks ahead of schedule

Postby mattb47 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:45 pm

We always hear this "ahead of schedule" stuff and I never buy it. I, for one, am going to steer clear of McNabb this year, I want nothing to do with him. I think it'll be the same story where he'll struggle to come back to full strength being a more mobile QB with a severe knee injury and not to mention he just hasn't been able to stay healthy lately period. He's going to end up going higher than I'm willing to take him and I plan on staying away this year....
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Hubarooski » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:49 pm

mattb47 wrote: I, for one, am going to steer clear of McNabb this year, I want nothing to do with him. I think it'll be the same story where he'll struggle to come back to full strength being a more mobile QB with a severe knee injury and not to mention he just hasn't been able to stay healthy lately period. He's going to end up going higher than I'm willing to take him and I plan on staying away this year....

I hope guys in my draft think this way, because I am targeting McNabb. I think the Philly system is what makes him a great fantasy option. It turned Jeff Garcia into a great player last year, so as long as McNabb is playing, I think the system makes him a top 5 guy. If he is at full strength he may be the #1 or #2 QB.
Hubarooski
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mrblitz » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:58 pm

This is very good news. I already knew it being an Eagles fan though. The more I think
about it, I'm starting to really like McNabb's chances as a top 4 QB this year.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby RJ24VC15 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:47 pm

I like McNabb this year, he was the best QB in the league the first half of last season and I think it's worth the risk to draft him.
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer

Postby kevbo » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:45 pm

It's way early to be deciding what to do with McNabb. This is a nice step forward and gives us a sense where he's at with rehab, which is good. Probably will have to wait till preseason to see how he reacts to some real game action.
kevbo
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby mattb47 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:35 pm

Hubarooski wrote:
mattb47 wrote: I, for one, am going to steer clear of McNabb this year, I want nothing to do with him. I think it'll be the same story where he'll struggle to come back to full strength being a more mobile QB with a severe knee injury and not to mention he just hasn't been able to stay healthy lately period. He's going to end up going higher than I'm willing to take him and I plan on staying away this year....

I hope guys in my draft think this way, because I am targeting McNabb. I think the Philly system is what makes him a great fantasy option. It turned Jeff Garcia into a great player last year, so as long as McNabb is playing, I think the system makes him a top 5 guy. If he is at full strength he may be the #1 or #2 QB.

That's the big thing....will he be playing all year? He hasn't really shown that he's able to do that in the past few years and coming off of major knee surgery, I don't think you'll even see the same McNabb next year as in years past when he has been healthy. VERY rarely is a guy able to come back from major knee surgery and perform at a very high level right away, and a guy who is hurt as often as McNabb doesn't strike me as a great candidate to do so.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:08 pm

mikus wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2900843

Interesting. I wonder if he is rushing back b/c of what the Eagles did in the draft. I hope he does not suffer the same fate that befell Culpepper in his haste to return to the playing field last season.

He could just as easily be ahead of schedule the way Palmer or Brees were. I for one like this news. Primarily because I trust the Eagles coaches not to rush the franchise player back when he could be injured. They go to a good deal of effort trying to keep the important players healthy (I think Reid proved that in 2004), and if the Philly trainers are letting him practice it would stand to reason he's recovering quite nicely.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:53 am

the thing is, he is injury prone, but none of the injuries are really related. He missed time the past two years for unrelated injuries. the year prior he missed time, but that was because the Eagles tore the NFC a new one.

I think he deserves the injury prone label at this point. That said. ESPN with its fire and brimstone predictions also made it like he was in doubt for the season opener, and McNabb, local media and the team have consistently disagreed with it.

For the record, the "system" is the system because of McNabb, not the other way around. Garcia was good, but hardly great, and its not like Mike McMahon was some viable fantasy option. It's kind fo a chicken and the egg argument, I'd concede. But there is value this year with McNabb as everyone remembers Brees now, but donovan (fantasy-wise was tearing it up.) I think they will run more this year, and that will help him and the team. I think by mid-point,t eams were sitting on the pass, increasing his degree of difficulty.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Azrael » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:25 pm

Yeah, is he ahead of schedule like Carson Palmer or Daunte Culpepper. My concern is that his escapability will be hindered. McNabb made alot of plays after slipping a would be tackler. He was one of the hardest QBs to tackle. Will he still be? If he shows up in the pre-season, I'm willing to take him in the 5th round.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Next

Return to Football Talk