Worried about Steven Jackson? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Worried about Steven Jackson?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Worried about Steven Jackson?

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:03 am

sportsaddict wrote:Not looking at this from a fantasy perspective, I don't know if it would be such a good thing that he top last year's numbers... I think at times the Rams relied on him way too much, and it seemed like Bulger was using Jackson almost as the "easy way out" instead of looking downfield, etc. I'd like to see the Rams spread it around more, but still give Jackson his touches... Either way this is somewhat of a silly debate because in the end, Jackson's going to have his numbers ;D

This seems to be a common thought, and I'm not really sure why. It's like it sounds good in people's brains, but based on what we've seen the total opposite is true.

The more the Rams fed Sjax last year the better they did. They REALLY started to focus on getting him the ball at the end of the year and went on far and away their best run of the season, going 4-2 down the stretch while giving Sjax enough yards to heavily eclipse that 2500 mark.

Earlier on they were forcing the pass and struggled to win games...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ThePrez » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:10 am

All the new weapons could help SJax... never know. Depends on how they want to move the ball. Last season they ended on a much higher note... and from running the ball.

I guess the opposite would be said if Bruce retired and they have no top passing options but Holt. Then SJax would be stacked up against. So maybe these down field options will open the field for SJax to run.

I still think he'll get a couple 10 catch games... if they go to it early and its open they will continue to pick apart the defense with short drop passes.

Should be interesting to see what happens! Bennett isn't the healthiest guy either, so time will tell.
ThePrez
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:10 pm

I think the one thing we know for sure about Steven Jackson is that his receiving numbers will decline. They bring back Isaac Bruce healthy, they brought in the first legit TE they have had in a long time in McMichael, and Drew Bennett is no major downgrade from Kevin Curtis. You don't even have to realize that 90 receptions and 800 receiving yardage from a RB is insanely high as it is. I think he can see a good quarter of that production lost to healthier WRs and the TE and maybe as much as 40-50%.

Looking at the TD totals, I am very wary of Ram's RBs in general. With Torry Holt on the roster and a stable of capable WRs for Bulger to throw to, St. Louis has never been a team to pound the ball with the RB at the goalline. Bottomline, you have to ask yourself, do you believe the final 4 games of the season where Jackson lit up the scoreboards? or the first 12 games of the season where he has mediocre in that department? I personally don't expect Jackson to match his TD totals from last year.

Overall, I think Jackson makes a great RB#1 and is one of the safest picks out there in the first round. But, I think many people have him rated so highly because they expect him to reach and even exceed his totals from last year. I personally don't think that will be the case and I also believe there are at least 3 RBs who have a much greater potential to be a stud RB based on TD numbers alone. I can see Jackson as the #2 RB based on risk factors, but I really don't see him there based on upside factors. I'm a risk taker, so I have Jackson rated as the #4 RB.

LT
---
LJ
---
SA
Sjax
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby shaba » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:49 am

LAst year it was both LJ & Alexander being drafted b4 Tomlison. This year most has everyone has SJax locked @ the 2nd pick behind LT. In weeks 16 & 17 last season Sjax had 2 monster games. Take those out of the equation & his fantasy points are equal with to what Wetbrook & Gore did in my league. Im not hating on the guy @ all a solid #RB & good great fantasy player...But personally I'd still take LJ b4 him..Just me though..
shaba
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 14)

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:07 am

shaba wrote:LAst year it was both LJ & Alexander being drafted b4 Tomlison. This year most has everyone has SJax locked @ the 2nd pick behind LT. In weeks 16 & 17 last season Sjax had 2 monster games. Take those out of the equation & his fantasy points are equal with to what Wetbrook & Gore did in my league. Im not hating on the guy @ all a solid #RB & good great fantasy player...But personally I'd still take LJ b4 him..Just me though..

So what you're saying is just take out his two biggest games and compare his other 14 games to everyone else's 16 and that makes him equal with a couple other top 8 RBs? And this is supposed to be a bad thing?

Here, I can do that trick too. Take out Chad Johnson's two biggest games last year and compare his other games to everyone else's full season and he drops out of the top 50!!! Yes, you read that right....FIFTY.

So forgive me if I'm not impressed that Jackson falls allllllll the way to #5 when removing his. In fact, doing the same for 98% of the other players in the league would drop them a wholllleeee lot further than 3 or 4 spots, so your stat not only does not back your point, but is actually pretty counter-intuitive to it.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby shaba » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:35 am

Free Bagel wrote:
shaba wrote:LAst year it was both LJ & Alexander being drafted b4 Tomlison. This year most has everyone has SJax locked @ the 2nd pick behind LT. In weeks 16 & 17 last season Sjax had 2 monster games. Take those out of the equation & his fantasy points are equal with to what Wetbrook & Gore did in my league. Im not hating on the guy @ all a solid #RB & good great fantasy player...But personally I'd still take LJ b4 him..Just me though..

So what you're saying is just take out his two biggest games and compare his other 14 games to everyone else's 16 and that makes him equal with a couple other top 8 RBs? And this is supposed to be a bad thing?

Here, I can do that trick too. Take out Chad Johnson's two biggest games last year and compare his other games to everyone else's full season and he drops out of the top 50!!! Yes, you read that right....FIFTY.

So forgive me if I'm not impressed that Jackson falls allllllll the way to #5 when removing his. In fact, doing the same for 98% of the other players in the league would drop them a wholllleeee lot further than 3 or 4 spots, so your stat not only does not back your point, but is actually pretty counter-intuitive to itN

No thats not what my point was. What I was trying to get across was He didnt "BLOW UP" until weeks 16 & 17..So he waited till the end of the season to take off...Dont know about your league but the superbowl is week 16 in mine...So his week 17 meant nothing as far as fantasy goes our league was over by then...That withstanding week 16 was his only EYE poppping game for fantasy...Naturally if he would have had a few break game throughout early - mid season then what you said Id agree with....Not trying to flame of Jackson love to have him on my team this year, was just trying to point something out..
shaba
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 14)

Previous

Return to Football Talk