Romo looking for new contract - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Romo looking for new contract

Moderator: Football Moderators

Romo looking for new contract

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:12 pm

Says he would like to get it done before the season starts - doesn't seem too concerned about it:

Cowboys' Romo hopes for new contract

Quarterback says he'd like to reach deal before season starts

11:19 AM CDT on Tuesday, June 12, 2007
By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News
mailto:tarcher@dallasnews.com

IRVING – The Cowboys' regular season does not start until Sept. 9, but quarterback Tony Romo hopes to have a new contract completed by the time he attempts his first pass against the New York Giants.

"I'd definitely like it before the season began, but you never know how these things go," he said. "I know the Jones family. They know me. We'll come to a conclusion."

Speaking at the Dallas All Sports Assocation's Hall of Fame Luncheon at Maggiano's in Northpark Center on Monday, Romo said the Cowboys and his agent have discussed a new deal. Romo is entering the last year of his contract and will make $1.5 million this season.

Because Romo has started only 11 games, including one in the playoffs, finding a compromise might take some time. If they do not reach a deal, the Cowboys could place the franchise tag on Romo, which would pay him the average salary of the five highest-paid quarterbacks in the league. However, owner and general manager Jerry Jones has said he is optimistic a deal can be reached.

"I don't think about that stuff," Romo said. "Whenever they start talking [more], it'll play itself out the way it should. Whatever's fair is fair."
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Romo looking for new contract

Postby mrblitz » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:24 pm

I don't see this becoming a issue at all really. He will be signed and ready to go before
the season.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:15 pm

Think they want to work on his FG holds before offering that deal??
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:51 am

Lofunzo wrote:Think they want to work on his FG holds before offering that deal??

:-b
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:28 am

He doesn't deserve it. Guaranteed if he gets one, he will be a huge disappointment.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Azrael » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:41 pm

Make him prove it. Tommy Maddox wanted one with the Steelers after his 1 average-above average year but the Steelers wouldn't give him one. Glad they didn't.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby benb18a » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:10 pm

Seems kind of fishy to me. Maybe he thinks that 6 game run he had last season is worthy of a franchise tag salary; I want to see him for atleast half of the season before he gets signed to a fat extension. Dallas definitely doesn't need another Bledsoe situation unfolding.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby maddog60 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:34 pm

Azrael wrote:Make him prove it. Tommy Maddox wanted one with the Steelers after his 1 average-above average year but the Steelers wouldn't give him one. Glad they didn't.

Exactly. Let him finish out his contract this year, and if he proves himself by repeating his performance level from last year, ink him to a long term deal for 7 years, franchise tag him if necessary to buy time to get the deal done.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:13 pm

If you read the quotes, he isn't pushing for a contract or anything. He said he would like one done before the season (duh, who wouldn't) :-B
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:32 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:If you read the quotes, he isn't pushing for a contract or anything. He said he would like one done before the season (duh, who wouldn't) :-B

He isn't threatening to hold out or anything like that but, when you are signed through the end of the 2007 season and say that you would like to sign an extension before the 2007 season starts, I'd say that's pushing for a new deal.
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk