Romo looking for new contract - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Romo looking for new contract

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Romo looking for new contract

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:45 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:If you read the quotes, he isn't pushing for a contract or anything. He said he would like one done before the season (duh, who wouldn't) :-B

He isn't threatening to hold out or anything like that but, when you are signed through the end of the 2007 season and say that you would like to sign an extension before the 2007 season starts, I'd say that's pushing for a new deal.

I would have to see the whole "transcript" of the conversation, but I imagine he was asked if there were any talks about a new contract and when he said there was, they asked how the talks were coming and when he wanted a deal done. It's not like he is coming to the media and dropping hints or anything. Just telling the truth probably. Again, I don't know, but this is what it sounds like to me. :-?
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:50 pm

From today's paper:

Extension for Romo can wait

10:58 AM CDT on Wednesday, June 27, 2007

In one month, the Cowboys will open their 48th training camp with their million dollar quarterback ready to go.

If that salary sounds absurdly low for Tony Romo, given that Houston's untested Matt Schaub recently signed a six-year, $48 million deal, bear in mind that Romo had never taken an NFL snap when he signed it prior to the 2006 season.

That two-year $3.9 million contract expires after this season. Romo has said he hopes to get an extension done before the season though he is not stressing over it. The Cowboys have indicated an interest in accommodating him.

My only question for both sides: Why?

There is little for the Cowboys to gain by extending Romo at this time and there may be significant money to lose.

That's not to say I don't think Romo will be the Cowboys' quarterback and a good one for the next six or seven years. I think he will succeed.

In fact, when burdened with the impossible task of ranking the area's most likely future MVP candidates after Dirk Nowitzki captured the NBA honor, I ranked Romo No. 1.

(Yes, it's kind of bleak around here.)

I think the Romo we saw those first five starts will show up a lot more often in 2007 than the one who made those last five regular-season starts.

Just in case this off-season has allowed your mind to wander, here is Romo's regular-season breakdown (probably a poor choice of words):

First five starts: 4-1 record, 10 TDs, two interceptions, six sacks, more than 65 percent completions in every game.

Last five starts: 2-3 record, six TDs, eight interceptions, 13 sacks, fewer than 60 percent completions three times.

Those first five sent Romo to the Pro Bowl.

Those last five nearly knocked Dallas out of the playoffs.

With a new head coach, new coordinator and new quarterbacks coach, Romo will be challenged to maintain that "first five" level all season. We can only guess how this thing plays out and that's what brings us to the difficulty of giving Romo a lengthy extension that is fair.

What does Romo deserve?

Well, it has to be more than Schaub, who played about seven minutes in Atlanta before landing that huge deal with Houston. And if he's averaging $8 million per year and Tom Brady averages $10 million per year on his six-year contract, it makes you wonder if all NFL quarterbacks haven't been lumped into the same salary bracket.

But actually Schaub's deal will pay him $20 million the first three years. If he hasn't turned out to be more than another David Carr, the Texans can move on, having invested a little less than $7 million per season in Schaub.

In Brady's case, while he took a below-market contract to stay in New England, he also received more than $26 million of the $60 million within 12 months of signing. That will buy a lot of steak dinners for Gisele Bundchen, assuming she actually eats anything.

New Orleans' Drew Brees has a contract almost equal to Brady's with less up-front money. But we can't quite put Romo in Brees' class yet.

A year from now with another Pro Bowl trip behind him, Romo's play could merit those dollars. Romo's a gambler by nature. Why not let it ride? If the man can play, he's going to get paid eventually either way.

From the Cowboys' standpoint, there isn't much risk involved in not extending Romo right now. If he has a disastrous season – not expected – then the team doesn't have to worry about having made a $50 million investment in a lost cause.

If he has a great season, then the Cowboys run the risk of not having shown faith in Romo this off-season when they had the chance. That will undoubtedly weigh on his mind.

But as evidenced by the contracts of Jason Witten and Roy Williams, just to name two, when you prove yourself as a Pro Bowl player in Dallas, Jones pays you to stay.

We have seen many great seasons turned in by players in their contract years in all sports. I expect Romo to have a good season regardless of what happens at the bargaining table this summer.

The notion of Romo playing for a contract in 2007 with both sides taking a calculated roll of the dice just might produce the best results on the field for Dallas and off the field for the Cowboys quarterback.

source:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... c33fc.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:55 pm

It bears mentioning that he probably wouldn't have made the pro bowl if mcnabb hadn't gotten hurt. I mean he had a good stretch, but mcnabb had an awesome run. Romo is good, but let's see him sustain excellence for a full season.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:56 pm

eaglesrule wrote:It bears mentioning that he probably wouldn't have made the pro bowl if mcnabb hadn't gotten hurt. I mean he had a good stretch, but mcnabb had an awesome run. Romo is good, but let's see him sustain excellence for a full season.

Yeah, I think its pretty popularly known that Romo wouldn't have made the Pro Bowl had McNabb been healthy. Heck, even I would say that McNabb earned it more had he been healthy. And that's saying something. :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk