Redraft leagues - how early would you release the draft orde - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Redraft leagues - how early would you release the draft orde

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Redraft leagues - how early would you release the draft orde

Postby jmog » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:08 pm

In my league we kind of do something different...

We use a "pick bag" system.

Each "bag" has 2 picks in it. Pick 1 and Pick 10, Pick 2 and Pick 9, and so on to Pick 5 and Pick 6.

So there are 5 bags.

We take last years final standings in team points and go backwards...

10th team gets to pick what bag they want to pick from. Sure they might pick from the bag that has picks 1/10 in it, but then it leaves a chance that the worst team from last year ends up picking 10th, so there is a risk/reward.

Then so on down the line until the top team gets "stuck" with whatever bag is left.

So, we all have to decide what bag we want to pick from weeks before the draft and you can't change it later at any time.

So, you can then at least strategize/plan for either picking in 1 of 2 spots, so at least you have some idea.

However, once we get to draft day (we do a live in person draft) at that point we actually pick out of the bags to find out exact draft positions.

So, it keeps the excitement of finding out where you draft on draft day, while still allowing for some strategy/planning.

The only thing it doesn't allow for planning wise is to know exactly who is picking in front of you and therefore planning for their drafting tendencies which plays huge in our league on draft day.
jmog
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mrblitz » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:23 pm

I could care less. It's nice either way, but I also have a general consesus of where people are
going in the first round, and I know who I am shooting for also.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby treat24 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:27 pm

It really doesn't matter to me at all... I mock from just about every position in the offseason just to get a sense... but when it comes down to it every draft is different and i know who I want and I generally know who my opponents are targeting... so I just go with the flow anyway...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Heimholder » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:50 pm

I guess I'm in the minority here - I like how my league has a draft lottery luncheon in July. It's fun, we meet at a sportsbar, draw the draft order out of a hat, discuss rules changes, and eat. I love having time to prepare my strategy. I can analyze the tendencies of the owners around my pick and think about who might fall to me. Great way to "count sheep" when going to sleep at night. It never turns out the way I think it will, but that's ok. The hours of research is fun in itself.
Heimholder
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby treat24 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:22 pm

Heimholder wrote:I guess I'm in the minority here - I like how my league has a draft lottery luncheon in July. It's fun, we meet at a sportsbar, draw the draft order out of a hat, discuss rules changes, and eat. I love having time to prepare my strategy. I can analyze the tendencies of the owners around my pick and think about who might fall to me. Great way to "count sheep" when going to sleep at night. It never turns out the way I think it will, but that's ok. The hours of research is fun in itself.

actually that sounds pretty fun... ;-D
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby SniperShot » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:27 pm

In the money league I'm in with friends and family we know about 2 days before the draft which is perfect. Not too long to 2nd guess yourself and not too short to get flustered or annoyed.

In leagues here at the cafe I know about my draft spot in some leagues months before the draft which I guess is good. But I'd probably take the same guys if I had 3 days or 3 months to plan, that's just what I do. ;-)
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:36 pm

PMoneyTKE wrote:
dream_017 wrote:I don't like the right before the draft. I like to be able to have some sort of plan heading into the draft and ddepending on position that plan changes. In my 3 main leagues we have 1 right before the draft and the other 2 about 2-3 weeks prior. One of those we actually all get together for the draft 'lottery'. Not all of attend but at least half the owners attend. We all have ping pong balls with our team logo and my friend puts them into an old beer ball. He then had a hole put in it and hooked up a blower and we wait for the first ball to fall out. It's a lot of fun ;-D

Duuude, where have those been all my life?!?

You never had a beer ball?? Those have been around for around 20 years but the fad died quickly.
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:21 pm

Don't care at all. I say just ASAP to get it over with.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:05 am

Makes no difference to me. A month, an hour, whatever.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby spodog » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:48 pm

In our $$$ league, we announce draft pick order 1 week prior to draft day.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Commissioner's Corner