A scoring system to yield more equal points among positions - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

A scoring system to yield more equal points among positions

Moderator: Football Moderators

A scoring system to yield more equal points among positions

Postby Demented Avenger » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:01 am

The two most often-used fantasy point scoring systems are yardage-based (1pt / 10 rush or rec yards, 1 pt / 25 pass yards, 6 pts / rush or rec TD, 4 pts / pass TD) and TD-based (1 pt / 20 rush or rec yards, 1 pt / 50 pass yards, 6 pts / rush or rec or pass TD). Under the yardage-based scoring format, running backs are much more valuable, and under the TD-based scoring format QBs come out on top. I set out to create a simple scoring system that closes the gap between the fantasy points scored by WRs, QBs, and RBs.

My system is very similar to the yardage league, with the following exceptions: 3 points per passing TD, 0.5 points per reception, and 0.2 points per completion.

Here's the full rundown:

1 point per 10 rushing yards
1 point per 10 receiving yards
1 point per 25 passing yards
6 points per rushing TD
6 points per receiving TD
3 points per passing TD
0.5 points per reception
0.2 points per completion

Below is a table comparing how the players ranked last year under the three scoring systems, with their fantasy points in parentheses. Notice that no WRs are in the top 25 in the yardage system or in the top 30 in the TD system. My system has 8 WRs in the top 30, with the highest at number 10.

The three charts below show the number of points scored by the top 50 QBs, RBs, and WRs. Under my system, the first 10 or so running backs are well above the pack, but after that the three positions are relatively even, until the QBs begin to fall off around #25 due to there only being 32 QBs league-wide. This similarity between the three positions would occur at about the 3rd through 8th rounds of a 10-team draft, which in my mind makes the most important part of the draft even more interesting.

"The signature"
Demented Avenger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: A scoring system to yield more equal points among positions

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:42 am

Nice work but even with making the scoring comparable, there is still the factor of positional scarcity. It still makes RBs more valuable, there isn't much difference in scoring for the mid range QBs and there are a number of WRs that can jump into or out of the mix.

Also, I was always under the assuption of:
yardage scoring system(some variation of) = 1pt / 10 rush or rec yards, 1 pt / 25 pass yards, 6 pts / rush or rec TD, 4 pts / pass TD

TD scoring system (some variation of) = Rush/rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 6, bonus for yardage rush/rec over 100 yards and pass over 300
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby Demented Avenger » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:24 pm

When I minimized the scoring difference, I looked at the average scores of the top 10 QBs, top 20 RBs, and top 30 WRs, rather than all players. This generally simulate the actual stats accumulated by a ten-team league, and somewhat mitigates the effects of positional scarcity.

The slope of the line can be viewed as a proxy for positional scarcity (because the steeper the line drops, the bigger the gap between a given player and the next-best). Once the first 10 RBs are off the board, all three lines have the same slope over the next 40 picks or so. No scoring system is going to make the top 8-10 RBs in line with the rest of the pack, and other than that the positional scarcity factor is pretty much nonxistent until you start getting to your bench players.
"The signature"
Demented Avenger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mbuser » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:51 pm

i use a similar system in the league i commish, but no points for completions and 4 pts per TD pass. seems to bring nice balance
add your performance history to the Yahoo! fantasy profile registry
mbuser
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Basketball

Return to Football Talk