Mark Clayton ready to step up game... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Mark Clayton ready to step up game...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Mark Clayton ready to step up game...

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:58 pm

...wants to build on last year's success:

Clayton looks to build on breakthrough

By Aaron Wilson, Times Staff Writer Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Receiver raises expectations after posting career-high in receptions

OWINGS MILLS — It was already too late of a reaction, even if Evan Oglesby didn’t immediately realize that Mark Clayton was setting him up for a fall.

First, Clayton sold an intermediate out pattern and froze Oglesby with a jab step. Then, the Baltimore Ravens’ starting wide receiver finished off the reserve cornerback by adeptly changing directions and accelerating into a crisp fly pattern.

During this sequence that unfolded during last week’s minicamp at the Ravens’ training complex, Clayton left Oglesby several yards behind by sprinting into the open field to settle under a Steve McNair spiral for yet another touchdown catch.

As the Ravens conclude their spring workouts with a voluntary minicamp that ends Thursday, Clayton is looking to build upon last year’s breakthrough season. The reigning AFC North champions are counting on even more production from Clayton as a featured performer in its West Coast offense.

“It’s a huge difference,” Clayton said last week following the Ravens’ mandatory minicamp. “I’m just settling down, calming down. Knowing what I did last year, I have a different set of expectations. Not only for me, but for the team as a whole.

“Each and every Sunday I’m in the locker room just waiting for a chance. Last year was fun and exciting. So, I’m taking it a day at a time and trying to just be better tomorrow than I was yesterday.”

It’s that attention to detail and an uninterrupted string of good health that has Clayton, 24, and the Ravens encouraged about his potential entering his third NFL season.

Last season, the 2005 first-round draft pick from Oklahoma registered a career-high 67 receptions and five touchdowns for a team-high 939 receiving yards. He generated 42 first downs, and caught an 87-yard touchdown in the Ravens’ victory over the Kansas City Chiefs that marks the longest play of his career.

Spurring Clayton’s motivation going forward is the disappointing ending to last season’s franchise-record 13-3 finish.

Although Clayton caught six passes for 73 yards in his NFL postseason debut, the Ravens’ offense was extremely ineffective overall as Baltimore took a 15-6 loss against the eventual Super Bowl champion Indianapolis Colts in an AFC divisional playoff at M&T Bank Stadium.

“This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking,” Clayton said. “We want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it. Steve has a year under his belt, so, hopefully, this year we’ll be able to step it up to another level.”

At 5-foot-10 and a compact 195 pounds, Clayton has gained roughly 10 pounds this offseason to boost his endurance and tackle-breaking ability. Last season, he averaged 14 yards per reception as his emergence and rookie Demetrius Williams’ increased role cut into veteran Derrick Mason’s opportunities during the second half of the schedule.

“I just wanted to be more explosive, catch the ball better and break some tackles,” Clayton said. “We’ll see how it all works out. First and foremost is mentally to understand the game to a point where I can just go out and play, help this team and get to where we want to be.”

Clayton, who missed a practice last week to accompany his pregnant wife to a doctor’s appointment, is no longer plagued by the nagging hamstring strain that he dealt with throughout his rookie year and for a brief period during training camp last summer.

Although Clayton didn’t go so far as to knock on his wooden locker stall while proclaiming himself completely injury-free during an interview, he expressed relief to finally have a clean bill of health.

“So far, so good,” Clayton said. “I’m not complaining. I’m paying attention to my physical conditioning so we don’t have to worry about that.”

NOTE: The Ravens signed offensive guard Steve Edwards (Central Florida), a 6-foot-5, 333-pounder. Edwards has also played tackle during prior stints with the Chicago Bears and New York Giants with 24 career starts in 40 career games played.

Reach staff writer Aaron Wilson at 410-857-7896 or mailto:sports@carrollcountytimes.com.

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Mark Clayton ready to step up game...

Postby steelerfan04 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:07 pm

Nice to see this. Clayton is one of those 3rd year WRs who I think will have a big year, I've got him pretty high up on my rankings.
steelerfan04
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby mrblitz » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:25 pm

I can see him posting slightly better numbers this year. But overall Todd Heap is going to
be the leading receiver for Baltimore.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby maddog60 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:20 pm

steelerfan04 wrote:Nice to see this. Clayton is one of those 3rd year WRs who I think will have a big year, I've got him pretty high up on my rankings.

Agreed. I think this is the last year he'll go undervalued.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dolfin99 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:50 pm

I think he could be a #1 on some teams. He is a great talent and will continue to improve.
Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig.
Dolfin99

EditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1)

Postby Azrael » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:50 pm

Solid 7th or 8th round choice.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Return to Football Talk