Giants' Finn faces lengthy rehab, will sit out entire season - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Giants' Finn faces lengthy rehab, will sit out entire season

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mrblitz » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:48 pm

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: June 13, 2007, 5:10 PM ET

Starting fullback Jim Finn, whose importance to the New York Giants' was always more significant than the statistics he posted, will miss the entire 2007 season after the team placed the seven-year veteran on injured reserve on Wednesday.

The move, which leaves the team very thin at the position, came as the Giants began a mandatory three-day minicamp.

Finn, 30, underwent surgery on Monday to repair an injured shoulder labrum and now faces a lengthy rehabilitation. The injury, the latest in a long series of shoulder problems that Finn has experienced in his NFL career, occurred last month during an organized team activities (OTA) session.

New York actually attempted to replace Finn in the offseason when they signed Houston Texans' fullback Vonta Leach, a three-year veteran, to a restricted free agent offer sheet in mid-March. The Texans retained Leach, however, by matching the offer sheet, which was believed to be for about $8 million.

Given his age, injury history and diminished role in the offense, it is possible that Finn will not be back with the Giants in 2008. A solid contributor and strong locker room presence, Finn is under contract through 2009, but at modest base salaries.

In 106 appearances, including 45 starts, Finn has carried only 11times for 30 yards and has never scored a rushing touchdown. He has 60 receptions for 423 yards and one touchdown. But the former University of Pennsylvania standout, who spent three seasons in Indianapolis (2000-2002) before joining the Giants as a free agent in 2003, was a very good blocker and special teams player, and a veteran who understood his role.

The loss of Finn leaves New York with only one fullback, Robert Douglas, on its roster. Douglas has served time on the Tennessee and Houston practice squads, but has never appeared in a regular-season game.

Like most teams, the Giants don't use a fullback very often in their offense. But they will need to replace Finn's blocking and receiving skills, and may be forced to consider one of several free agent veteran fullbacks still looking for employment.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Giants' Finn faces lengthy rehab, will sit out entire season

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:02 am

They're obviously gonna have to find another another FB since they only have 1 now, but it sounds like Douglas could start - he's bulked up from 230 to 248 and Jacobs really likes him as a blocker and he's supposed to be more physical than Finn anyway.

Giants set to plow forward without Finn

Thursday, June 14, 2007
BY MIKE GARAFOLO
Star-Ledger Staff

Jim Finn's 2007 season is over before it began. And the Fair Lawn native's time with the Giants might be done as well.

Finn, who suffered a shoulder injury last month while blocking a teammate during organized team activities, was placed on injured reserve yesterday after undergoing surgery in Los Angeles on Monday. Finn's agent, Alan Herman, said his client suffered a tear in the back portion of his labrum. Finn had a small tear in the front part of his labrum surgically repaired after the 2005 season.

Herman estimated Finn's recovery time at four to six months, though that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be ready to go by January. Monday's shoulder surgery was the third procedure he's undergone in his career, and he suffers from severe arthritis in the joint.

"Jimmy obviously wants to continue his career," Herman said. "But we'll have to talk to the doctors to see how much damage was done and if he can play football again."

Finn, 30, is signed through the 2009 season, but it's unlikely he'll ever wear a Giants uniform again. The team tried replacing him with restricted free agent Vonta Leach in March, though the Giants lost out on Leach when the Texans matched their offer. They were also interested in free agent Ovie Mughelli, who signed a three-year, $18 million deal with the Falcons.

Robert Douglas -- a third-year journeyman who has never suited up for a regular-season NFL game -- is the only fullback on the roster.

The team could try to convert one of the four tight ends behind Jeremy Shockey and rookie Kevin Boss on the depth chart into a fullback. And of course, general manager Jerry Reese could make his third trade of the off-season to bring in a veteran -- perhaps with the Texans, who have Leach and two more fullbacks on their roster.

But the team is high on Douglas, 24, who is listed at 6-1, 230 pounds, though he said he now weighs 248.

"He's athletic enough to get out on the edge and do a lot of things," running back Brandon Jacobs said. "He's most definitely big and strong, so he can go in there and bump heads with anybody."

That's been the knock on Finn this off-season -- that he's not physical enough to block for Jacobs and Reuben Droughns, who are straight-ahead, downhill runners. Finn was considered a good lead blocker that simply got to defenders to impede defenders for the shiftier Tiki Barber.

The Giants won't truly know if Douglas, who signed with the team in December, can be a plowing fullback until training camp and in the preseason when the hitting is live and the players are in full pads. Douglas just wants to make it to that point after missing the bulk of the Titans' 2005 training camp because of a broken leg and spending only two weeks in the Buccaneers' camp last summer.

"That's always been the knock on me: 'Can he hit somebody?'" Douglas said. "I haven't really had a chance to prove that I can."

One thing Douglas can't hit is a golf ball. At a recent Giants golf outing, he whiffed on a drive. But he still displayed his strength by snapping his driver in half with tremendous torque.

Busting graphite is one thing. Blocking a charging linebacker is quite different.

"It would be totally out of character for me to say I wasn't ready," Douglas said. "Now am I saying I'm (anxious) because of contact and whether or not I can do it? Yes.

"But I'm not afraid to go out there and throw my weight around with everybody because you have to do it if you want to be on this level."

Mike Garafolo may be reached at

mailto:mgarafolo@starledger.com

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Re: Giants' Finn faces lengthy rehab, will sit out entire season

Postby The Lung » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:26 pm

Brandon Jacobs continues to fall down my draft board.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Return to Football Talk