how to run a good home fantasy draft - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

how to run a good home fantasy draft

Moderator: Football Moderators

how to run a good home fantasy draft

Postby sweny123 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:45 pm

im having the draft at my house how do i keep it

organized and well run
sweny123
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: how to run a good home fantasy draft

Postby sweny123 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:00 pm

bump
sweny123
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:39 pm

There's software that you can buy, there are poster boards, draft boards, etc. Look around on Google. I have never done a live at home draft, but if I were to do that, I would keep up with it all on my laptop and just type in names as we went. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:31 am

There are many ways to go with this one. I have 3 live drafts per year and they are all different. Personally, I keep track of all picks made by everyone on a grid. I also have a sheet that tracks my players and positions that is separate.

As for running the draft, you should provide enough space for each owner to be able to bring his draft tools(rankings/computer/etc.), you should also be close enough to be able to hear all the picks as they happen. In one of the leagues, we each have a post-it pad and we write the name of the player on a sheet and go put it on the wall while announcing our pick(yes, we are nerdy O:-) ) In another, we hold it at my work, so I use the project screen and keep track in excel with it projected on the screen. The other one we just announce the picks. If picks start going too fast, make sure to slow it down. You don't want to find out later that 2 teams drafted the same player, make sure someone is keeping track...it's usually me in all my league(see draft grid above ;-D )

Other things, make sure the TV volume isn't too loud(guessing you will be watching a game while drafting). If food is provided, try to take a break half-way, so people can enjoy their food, while still keeping track. Munchies can be out during the draft.

Thats about all I have, let me know if you have any other questions, I have been part of over 30 live drafts 8-o
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby ultramagnetic » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:50 pm

sweny123 wrote:im having the draft at my house how do i keep it organized and well run

If you have a large tv (or a projection screen + projector) and a computer with a video-out port, then (using software, an online service, or a spreadsheet program) you can have a very nice, real-time dynamic display while keeping things simple and clean.

Furthermore, assuming you are of legal age, I advise you to provide beer, ideally Budweiser. I also advise you not to drink any yourself. ;-D

¡Viva los Raiders!
ultramagnetic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby los locos » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:52 pm

I'm still very green to the whole FF life...but over the last couple of years, have enjoyed it very much.

I want to hold a live draft with guys from work but want to keep things simple. None of us are real "hard core" FF owners, but enjoy it just the same. I want to hold it in my garage where I have access to a large wall.

How could I make it fun and interesting for everyone involved?
- Would it be "lame" to just use poster board and write everyone's team names and picks? I liked the "post it" note idea too.

I would like to keep the league to 10-12 teams. I've played in a 14 team league and didn't enjoy it as much. What do you suggest?

The league would be free, but I would like to give a prize/trophy for the league Champ and league Chump...any suggestions in that department?

When is the earliest I can get on Yahoo or AOL to begin setting up my league? I can't find the info on either site.

I've read various threads about scoring and available positions. I'm thinking of 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1RB/WR, K, DEF, 1DL, 1DB. What would you suggest for my type of league?

Thanks in advance for the advice....Have a good week.
Thanks eagles21
los locos
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:13 pm

locos, Yahoo and AOL are both up right now. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:01 am

los locos wrote:I'm still very green to the whole FF life...but over the last couple of years, have enjoyed it very much.

I want to hold a live draft with guys from work but want to keep things simple. None of us are real "hard core" FF owners, but enjoy it just the same. I want to hold it in my garage where I have access to a large wall.

How could I make it fun and interesting for everyone involved?
- Would it be "lame" to just use poster board and write everyone's team names and picks? I liked the "post it" note idea too.

I don't think so, but then again, I am the guy with the post it note idea :-b

los locos wrote:I would like to keep the league to 10-12 teams. I've played in a 14 team league and didn't enjoy it as much. What do you suggest?

For beginers, I would suggest a 10 team league, the larger the league, the more knowegable the owners should be to have a competitive league.

los locos wrote:The league would be free, but I would like to give a prize/trophy for the league Champ and league Chump...any suggestions in that department?

Trophy link ;-D

los locos wrote:When is the earliest I can get on Yahoo or AOL to begin setting up my league? I can't find the info on either site.

yahoo and AOL are both open and ready

los locos wrote:I've read various threads about scoring and available positions. I'm thinking of 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1RB/WR, K, DEF, 1DL, 1DB. What would you suggest for my type of league?

With generally newer players I would stick to team defense. IDP is again usually for the more advanced players and you tend to do one or the other not both. The rest of the line-up looks good

los locos wrote:Thanks in advance for the advice....Have a good week.

Hope that helps ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby los locos » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:11 pm

Thanks for the info...I started playing around with the AOL site and it seems pretty cool. I've used Yahoo in the past and think AOL might be better.

Thanks for the Trophy links...there are some pretty good ideas there.

I noticed while playing with the AOL site, it offers you to create divisions. So if I have 12 teams and split that into two divisions of 6 teams, how does that all play out??? Does playing two divisions vs. one make the game more interesting/fun??

Thanks again for your input...

Rich
Thanks eagles21
los locos
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:06 am

los locos wrote:Thanks for the info...I started playing around with the AOL site and it seems pretty cool. I've used Yahoo in the past and think AOL might be better.

Thanks for the Trophy links...there are some pretty good ideas there.

I noticed while playing with the AOL site, it offers you to create divisions. So if I have 12 teams and split that into two divisions of 6 teams, how does that all play out??? Does playing two divisions vs. one make the game more interesting/fun??

Thanks again for your input...

Rich

AOL is better than yahoo, after this year you will never go back :-b

I am a big fan of divisions, with a 12 team league you could have three divisions of four teams, then play the teams in your division twice and all other teams once. It gets a little more rivalry going as you can have 3 division races. Again I am partial to divisions and having the division winners make the playoffs and then the wildcard teams with the best records fight for the other playoff spots.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner