Kevan Barlow - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kevan Barlow

Moderator: Football Moderators

Kevan Barlow

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:55 pm

Any reason to hope Barlow has sleeper value?

After being projected to be a stud he has had 3 disappointing years in a row. But now he is in the perfect spot as a short-yardage/3rd down back for the Steelers. FWP got all of Bettis' carries last year but that's only b/c he only had competition from Veron Haynes. Barlow got 6 TDs in only 130 carries last year and is a much better receiver than Davenport.

He won't be Bettis but I believe that he can beat out Davenport for the RB2 spot in Pitt and can put up some nice sleeper numbers. And if FWP gets hurt Barlow could surprise.

Thoughts?

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kevan Barlow

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:06 pm

I would be shocked if Barlow had any fantasy value whatsoever. I would be surprised if he won the backup job from Najeh Davenport, who did a good job last year in relieving FWP. Barlow was purely a depth signing. If he couldn't beat out Leon Washington, Cedric Houston, and Derrick Blaylock consistently in New York, how can he be expected to steal carries from FWP or even Davenport.

He'll be the Steelers' third string running back, and he will have little to no fantasy value.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Munboy » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:15 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:I would be shocked if Barlow had any fantasy value whatsoever. I would be surprised if he won the backup job from Najeh Davenport, who did a good job last year in relieving FWP. Barlow was purely a depth signing. If he couldn't beat out Leon Washington, Cedric Houston, and Derrick Blaylock consistently in New York, how can he be expected to steal carries from FWP or even Davenport.

He'll be the Steelers' third string running back, and he will have little to no fantasy value.

Don't forget he's competing with Verron Haynes as well who proved to be an excellent 3rd down back before getting hurt last year. Barlow has no value. I'd say there's even a very good chance of him not making the team.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mattb47 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:33 pm

Yea, I would say that his value is VERY minimal right now. Parker (surprisingly enough) had one of the better ypc averages on 3rd and short of any RB of the top RBs....meaning I doubt if we'll see anyone come in and take away short yardage or goal line from him (also, most of his TDs came inside the 20). Barlow has always been a mediocre back I think and I don't think he beats out Davenport for the #2 RB on that team and I don't think he beats out Haynes as the 3rd down back.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:40 pm

Munboy wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:I would be shocked if Barlow had any fantasy value whatsoever. I would be surprised if he won the backup job from Najeh Davenport, who did a good job last year in relieving FWP. Barlow was purely a depth signing. If he couldn't beat out Leon Washington, Cedric Houston, and Derrick Blaylock consistently in New York, how can he be expected to steal carries from FWP or even Davenport.

Don't forget he's competing with Verron Haynes as well who proved to be an excellent 3rd down back before getting hurt last year. Barlow has no value. I'd say there's even a very good chance of him not making the team.

I agree, Haynes could make his value even lower if he proves that he has fully recovered from his knee injury. I'm not sure about him not making the team because of Haynes' knee, but I'd say that he'll fill a very minimal role.

And to prove matt's point about Willie's TDs, only one of his touchdown runs came from more than 9 yards out.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby mattb47 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:54 pm

To show my point before about Parker's ypc on 3rd and short...here's a comparison:

On 3rd down and less than 3 yards

Parker - 12 carries for 64 yds (5.3 ypc)

LT - 14 carries for 53 yds (3.8 ypc)

SJax - 19 carries for 47 yds (2.5 ypc)

Gore - 14 carries for 50 yds (3.6 ypc)

LJ - 18 carries for 36 yds (2.0 ypc)

Rudi - 10 carries for 38 yds (3.8 ypc)

MJD - 13 carries for 27 yds (2.1 ypc)
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Atog » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:31 am

Worth a late-round flier (flyer?) for sure. Did the same last year and he gave me a 2-TD performance during Ronnie Brown's bye week, if I remember correctly ;-D
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:22 am

I see no reason why Barlow wouldn't win the backup job. I know that Barlow hasn't been impressive the past couple of years but he's a damned sight better than Davenport and Haynes both of whom have been total busts trying to be FWP's back up.

Barlow has four things going for him that the other 2 don't have. He's done it before and been successful before, he's a much better receiver (compared to Davenport), he hasn't failed in this system before and he doesn't have the injury concerns of the other 2.

I don't know. Something about the Steelers situation makes me think of 2-back system. FWP may be durable but who knows? He's small (5'10" 200) and he's doesn't have a history of carrying the load like he did last year. Barlow's no Fred Taylor but if he can pound the ball or make one cut like he ran in 2003 with SF he could take a lot of wear and tear off of FWP and give the Steelers a good thunder and lightning combo. I'm not making excuses for Barlow but he's been running behind some terrible O-lines, he could be successful in Pitt. Just a thought.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PMoneyTKE » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:32 am

Barlow has four things going for him that the other 2 don't have. He's done it before and been successful before, he's a much better receiver (compared to Davenport), he hasn't failed in this system before and he doesn't have the injury concerns of the other 2.

Where's he been successful before?

Those were my thoughts exactly ;-D
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Munboy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:54 am

PMoneyTKE wrote:

Where's he been successful before?

Those were my thoughts exactly ;-D

He did have some success as a back up to Hurst in SF. He ran for 4.1, 4.7, and 5.1 avg yards per rush. That's why he was supposed to be Hursts replacement when it became apparent Hurst's injuries was really taking a toll on him. Since taking the starting job, it's been all downhill. 3.4, 3.3, and then a WEAK 2.8 last year.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk