Kevan Barlow - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kevan Barlow

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Kevan Barlow

Postby mattb47 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:18 pm

Being successful years and years back doesn't really instill confidence that he'll be successful again. What in the recent past has he done that would give ANY indication that he would be a successful back again? He's been mediocre at best in recent years and I don't see it all of a sudden getting better.

And Barlow is such a great receiver out of the backfield that he caught all of 7 passes last year for 21 yards....if he was such a great receiver out of the backfield why didn't they use him more that way? Davenport on the other hand, was used more in the Steelers passing game and for a backup had a decent amount of receptions with 15 rec for 193 yards and 1 TD. Where exactly are you getting this information that Barlow is a better receiver than Davenport? Davenport did a very nice job catching passes out of the backfield for us last year and could very well do it again this year. I would also look for Parker to be used more out of the backfield as a receiver as well this year.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mrblitz » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:25 pm

I still see Willie, getting all the TD's. Barlow will be lucky to have 5 touches a game. None of them goaline.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Munboy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:41 pm

mattb47 wrote:Being successful years and years back doesn't really instill confidence that he'll be successful again. What in the recent past has he done that would give ANY indication that he would be a successful back again? He's been mediocre at best in recent years and I don't see it all of a sudden getting better.

And Barlow is such a great receiver out of the backfield that he caught all of 7 passes last year for 21 yards....if he was such a great receiver out of the backfield why didn't they use him more that way? Davenport on the other hand, was used more in the Steelers passing game and for a backup had a decent amount of receptions with 15 rec for 193 yards and 1 TD. Where exactly are you getting this information that Barlow is a better receiver than Davenport? Davenport did a very nice job catching passes out of the backfield for us last year and could very well do it again this year. I would also look for Parker to be used more out of the backfield as a receiver as well this year.

We lacked varity on offense last year. Hopefully, new coaches will bring some new life to the offense this year. We definately need to see more Fast Willie out of the backfield like this...

http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l131/mysticphysh/?action=view&current=parkerandmiller.flv

We also need to see more of the second part of that clip, which completely disappeared last year.

EDIT: Sorry about the quality of the vid. I need to re-rip the DVD since I used my laptop last time.
EDIT#2: I guess miller's stats were about the same, but I was disappointed last year that they didn't use him more. He should be a go to weapon.

But IMO, we don't need Barlow as long as Haynes is healthy. He is a good 3rd down back to come out of the backfield or to run draw plays.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:34 pm

mattb47 wrote:Being successful years and years back doesn't really instill confidence that he'll be successful again. What in the recent past has he done that would give ANY indication that he would be a successful back again? He's been mediocre at best in recent years and I don't see it all of a sudden getting better.

Barlow has 144 career receptions for 1,200 yds Davenport has 32 for 300 yds. Last year in his worst ever year Barlow had 6 TDs - Davenport has 8 for his entire career.

I'm not saying that Barlow is all that great, just that he is better than Davenport. btw - why do you think Davenport is better than Barlow? Davenport has never done anything - zilch - to indicate that he is anything more than an end of the bench guy. Sure you can point to Barlow's low ypc last year but that was with the Jets - your man Najeh only got 3.7 ypc behind the Steelers much better O-line. One year Ahman Green gets hurt, Davenport has one good half before his leg fell off and everyone annoints him as the second coming of Maurice Morris. Davenport is a stiff.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mattb47 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:51 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:

Barlow has 144 career receptions for 1,200 yds Davenport has 32 for 300 yds. Last year in his worst ever year Barlow had 6 TDs - Davenport has 8 for his entire career.

I'm not saying that Barlow is all that great, just that he is better than Davenport. btw - why do you think Davenport is better than Barlow? Davenport has never done anything - zilch - to indicate that he is anything more than an end of the bench guy. Sure you can point to Barlow's low ypc last year but that was with the Jets - your man Najeh only got 3.7 ypc behind the Steelers much better O-line. One year Ahman Green gets hurt, Davenport has one good half before his leg fell off and everyone annoints him as the second coming of Maurice Morris. Davenport is a stiff.

Wait...so because Barlow has been in a position to play more and therefore has more career receptions he's all of a sudden a better receiver? That reasoning is flawed beyond belief. Barlow was used in short yardage for the Jets because they didn't have ANYONE good on that team to run the ball. He was a small part of a committee of backs that were all mediocre and could never separate himself....what does that tell you about how good Barlow is?

Davenport has had trouble staying healthy in the past but he has always been effective when he has been healthy. In a part time role as a backup, he has the ability to stay healthy and can be a solid contributor. And if you're calling how good the Steelers O-Line played last year that much better than what the Jets had you're sorely mistaken....that was a rough year for the Steelers offensively.

What in the world has Barlow done in the last 3 years that would lead you to believe he'll be anything but mediocre and contribute in any big way next year?
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:05 am

Okay lets re-orient here. We're debating Barlow's skills vs Davenpoop? That does it, I move Kevan "I'm am the greatest" Barlow from my sleeper list to my coma list.

Barring an injury to FWP Barlow isn't worth a roster spot on good teams.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Previous

Return to Football Talk