Steven Jackson Wants to Break NFL Scrimmage Record - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Steven Jackson Wants to Break NFL Scrimmage Record

Moderator: Football Moderators

Steven Jackson Wants to Break NFL Scrimmage Record

Postby madaslives911 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:16 am

Source: http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/STL/10226082
Rams RB Jackson wants NFL scrimmage record

ST. LOUIS (June 14, 2007) -- Steven Jackson always sets goals for himself. This year, the St. Louis Rams running back has his eye on the NFL single-season mark for yardage.

Jackson wants to break the current mark of 2,529 yards from scrimmage, set by former Ram Marshall Faulk in 1999. Last year, Jackson's goal was 1,600 yards rushing; he fell short with 1,528 yards.

Last year was still a breakout season for Jackson, who led the NFL with 2,334 yards rushing and receiving -- 11 ahead of San Diego's LaDainian Tomlinson. He caught 90 passes for 806 yards. Jackson's performance earned him a berth in the Pro Bowl, his first in his three years with the Rams.

Now the 6-foot-2, 231-pound Jackson thinks he can surpass Faulk's record. In 1999, Faulk rushed for 1,381 yards and added another 1,048 receiving in helping the Rams win the Super Bowl against Tennessee.

On the final day of a three-day minicamp at Rams Park, Jackson said good things will happen for the team if he reaches his goal.

"As a team goal, we want to win the Super Bowl," Jackson said. "My personal goal is what I stated it was. I don't put that pressure or that burden on anyone else, expect myself. To get to that number, I'm pretty sure we're winning and we'll be in the playoffs."

Three other players have topped Jackson's yardage from last year. In 2005, Tiki Barber compiled 2,390 yards. Tomlinson gained 2,370 total yards in 2003. Barry Sanders combined for 2,358 yards in 1997.

During the offseason, Jackson has been working on his pass-route running.

"I'm working on becoming a leader," said Jackson, who will turn 24 in July. "Now that I've had the season I've had, I'll be getting a lot more attention from the defenses and the defensive coordinators. I talk to my defense a lot. Guys that I trust, I ask them about different defenses."

Rams coach Scott Linehan sees Jackson becoming more of a leader this season.

"He did more last year as the year went on," Linehan said. "He mostly does his talking on the field with how he plays. At the end of the year, the team took on Steven's demeanor and attitude with the way he was playing."
Visit My Sigs Gallery

2008 Champion - Cafeholics Anonymous
2008 Champion - No Press Allowed
madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Steven Jackson Wants to Break NFL Scrimmage Record

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:38 am

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby TheRawDAWG » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:57 am

Is it me or does that yardage not add up for Faulk's year?
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby roninmedia » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:40 am

1,381 yards rushing + 1,048 yards receiving = 2,429 total yards from scrimmage.
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:43 am

TheRawDAWG wrote:Is it me or does that yardage not add up for Faulk's year?

TYFS also include passing yards and yards gained on offensive fumble recoveries. But looking at Faulk's 1999 stats he had none of either so I'm not sure where the other 100 yards is coming from.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:47 am

Amazinz wrote:
TheRawDAWG wrote:Is it me or does that yardage not add up for Faulk's year?

TYFS also include passing yards and yards gained on offensive fumble recoveries. But looking at Faulk's 1999 stats he had none of either so I'm not sure where the other 100 yards is coming from.

They added in Kevin Faulk's totals.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby aaawall91 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:56 am

His career totals :-b
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Return to Football Talk